• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonah Hex: The CGC Forum Reader Contest

109 posts in this topic

There's been some silliness going on around here as of late, so I figure it's time to pass along a little fun here on the forum.

A recap if you will...over a year and a half ago, we had the various polls of who was the most significant issue of each comic era. During the Bronze Age poll, it came to light that 1. I'm not a Jonah Hex fan and 2. I wouldn't give him any support (my votes were for ASMs 121, 122, and 129--naturally). Anyhow, a Andy (Thirdgreenham) sent out a copy of the Jonah Hex Showcase trade paperback to another member, Jungle Junkie who was in the same boat as I was. From what I recall, he became a convert to Jonah. Now, I am a little sad to say I've had the trade for over a year now and have tried to read the trade a number of times but just can't get any sustained interest in the book--the genre (western), story, art, and possibly the fact it's in black and white have all combined to stall any interest. :tonofbricks: So, Andy said it best, "Don't let it sit, read it or pass it along." And since I don't think I'm going to make much more progress with it, it's time to pass it along to the next member.

So, to qualify, you must have never read Jonah Hex before. The first 5 people to post a :takeit: in this thread will be qualified to compete. Then, I will post a couple questions in the thread tomorrow evening and the first person of those 5 to answer get a postage paid copy of Jonah Hex for their reading pleasure.

Neat! Should be fun to watch. I can't play because I'm already a fan.

Have you tried reading the new series that's out now? That's some pretty decent stuff, and it's in color. :D

We have our first contestant! :)

Beau... I'll be honest when I say that I probably won't. I've got a ton of other books and trades to read, and since I wasn't so much of a western fan, I don't see it happening right away. Not to knock it, of course as there are plenty of books I love that I'm sure others would be less inclined to check out. :foryou:

disclaimer: I already have it and have read it.

That being said, Jonah Hex is a fantastic storyline that is very reminiscent of 70s western tales. If you liked any western theme based films (even modern ones, like unforgiven); it is likely you will like Jonah Hex very much. Each issue follows our protagonist as he reluctantly rescues women and children, while taking in or shooting down bandits for bounties; always one step away from being shot down in cold blood or having a water hole poisoned. Underneath his horribly disfigured guise, lies a heart of gold and virtues.

The only downside is that they do not develop his character much (although from time to time they did give some backstory). A fantastic read that is hard to put down IMO.

:applause: Mac Man Pass the fun along! (thumbs u

I'm not much of a western fan, but I love Jonah Hex. :cloud9:

Andy

Me either, you couldn't pay me to read Rawhide Kid or any of the other Western books, no offense to the Western collectors out there (I'm sure there's stuff I love that you don't care for). That being said, Mac Man, I am a big JH fan. He's an interesting character with a good backstory, and his BA book had pretty good writers. As Shiverbones said, it wasn't dumbed down (not much, anyway). Don't judge a book by its setting. If it helps, pretend he's the Punisher sent back to the wild west. Both Punny & JH are loners driven to punish evildoers, guided by their personal code of honor, and are outcasts to normal society. They're both normal men but are damn hard to kill, and wily combat veterans who can think on their feet in a firefight.

Come to think of it, that would make an awesome crossover, the Punisher vs. Jonah Hex. Getting them both in the same time period would take some serious explaining, but after that awful 'Hex' book where Jonah was catapaulted into the future, anything's possible.

Oh, and Forrest, make sure you sign the book before you send it on to the next guy. If you don't see my name in there, please sign it for me as well. :foryou:

Thanks,

Andy

Jonah Hex...Is that the guy with the funky lip?

Seems like a hardcase like that would take a knife and cut through that dangly chunk so he could drink beer out of a mug.

Jonah Hex? (thumbs u (thumbs u

I can't believe we don't have five people lined up already. Or maybe it means everyone is reading Jonah Hex already. If you haven't and you like Clint Eastwood westerns or gritty anti-heroes, then get in line for this book!

Jonah Hex was one of the best BA books and is now one of the best Modern books out there.

I can't believe we don't have five people lined up already.

Zod was #5, it seems... I was going to jump-in, but I already have far too much backreading already. :/

I'll stay tuned for the questions though. :grin: