• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yo Joe!!!! G.I. Joe Thread Closed!!!

46 posts in this topic

This is what the direct market with the spidey head in the corner should look like:

35544179902.21.GIF

That's what I thought. White Spidey head, 1st Print, Solid/black Spidey head 3rd print. Could be wrong though. (shrug)

Brian

G.I. Joe #21

CGC 9.4 White pages

$150

gijoe21.jpg

This looks like a 2nd or 3rd print, but it's not noted on the label. hm

I bought it raw on these boards as a 1st print. Sent to CGC and came back with no notation of anything different.

G.I. Joe #21

CGC 9.4 White pages

$150

gijoe21.jpg

This looks like a 2nd or 3rd print, but it's not noted on the label. hm

I bought it raw on these boards as a 1st print. Sent to CGC and came back with no notation of anything different.

CGC missed it. The seller missed it. But that doesn't change the fact it isn't a first print. Without the distro number on a newstand edition, it isn't a first print.

G.I. Joe #21

CGC 9.4 White pages

$150

gijoe21.jpg

The distribution number (02064) which is present on the 1st print VG copy the seller is also offering is missing.

It is not a 1st printing.

Where can someone obtain that info on what is 1st printing and what is not and why does CGC not note it?

G.I. Joe #21

CGC 9.4 White pages

$150

gijoe21.jpg

The distribution number (02064) which is present on the 1st print VG copy the seller is also offering is missing.

Where can someone obtain that info on what is 1st printing and what is not and why does CGC not note it?

My friend, I learned the "hard way". Hope you don't have to. Not sure what criteria CGC uses....but in my experience of collecting Joes (and I bought this book off the newstand many moons ago), all newstand 1st print marvels carried a distribution code underneath the date and price. If its not there, it wasn't a 1st print.

G.I. Joe #21

CGC 9.4 White pages

$150

gijoe21.jpg

My friend, I learned the "hard way". Hope you don't have to. Not sure what criteria CGC uses....but in my experience of collecting Joes (and I bought this book off the newstand many moons ago), all newstand 1st print marvels carried a distribution code underneath the date and price. If its not there, it wasn't a 1st print.

hm ...well with that being said, I don't won't to be misleading. The book is officially removed from the thread. I wish CGC would catch things like this. Sorry folks! :(

G.I. Joe #21

CGC 9.4 White pages

$150

gijoe21.jpg

hm ...well with that being said, I don't won't to be misleading. The book is officially removed from the thread. I wish CGC would catch things like this. Sorry folks! :(

I would call CGC today and ask them about the criteria to judge printings of this particular book. I'm really curious myself as to how they missed it. But to be honest, its not the first time. I'm pretty sure I saw a Direct edition with a .75 cent cover price on ebay a few weeks ago that was also not notated as a later printing. Its fair to say that a couple will get by CGC, considering all the many variations and printings of the book there is to keep track of...

G.I. Joe #21

CGC 9.4 White pages

$150

gijoe21.jpg

I would call CGC today and ask them about the criteria to judge printings of this particular book. I'm really curious myself as to how they missed it. But to be honest, its not the first time. I'm pretty sure I saw a Direct edition with a .75 cent cover price on ebay a few weeks ago that was also not notated as a later printing. Its fair to say that a couple will get by CGC, considering all the many variations and printings of the book there is to keep track of...

You would think they would check the indica to see whether or not it was a first print doh! which unfortunately, this book is not :sorry: Besides the all black Spidey head (which on a first print version of this book should be the White Spidey head with black lines), the 1st print direct market versions all had the stylized Marvel "M". The regular price box that this book possesses should have the UPC bar code in the box not Spidey.

According to the pic on the ComicsPriceGuide.com site, the darker Spidey image is the first print. It has a listing but no pic for a third print and does not have anything for the second print.

http://comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv.aspx?FDSo4yyowMw7p%2f1V4r%2fJJ9zUC2KokRItCs3qU0d0xgRui9sJFT3tCY4csLJhMiIelG%2f9WgH9C3od2Znd4g%2bRMQ%3d%3d

i was always told that the first print w/ spidy in the corner was white the all black spidy is second printing..

G.I. Joe #21

CGC 9.4 White pages

$150

gijoe21.jpg

Just got off the phone with CGC and they said that they only go by the info on the first page. I tried to explain what Jive said about the distribution code on the front cover but they didn't seem to care. (shrug)

i will give you 50 dollars for the second printing!! heres some first prints I sold last week here all first printings. and not all first printings had a bar code

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=160740&Number=3185839#Post3185839

hm

Barcode is newsstand, White Spidey is direct 1st print, Black Spidey is direct 2nd print was what I was always told.

i will give you 50 dollars for the second printing!! heres some first prints I sold last week here all first printings. and not all first printings had a bar code

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=160740&Number=3185839#Post3185839

hm

Barcode is newsstand, White Spidey is direct 1st print, Black Spidey is direct 2nd print was what I was always told.

this is correct! you couldnt have said it any better Nick

CGC doesn't even have a census for second printings. They only show first and third.

Maybe because they're grading the 2nd prints as first prints. :insane:

Or, their logic is 2nd printing are the 1st reprints of the original printing, so therefore it is a 1st printing reprint.

From there, the logic all went tumbling downhill like a BMX bike crash.

Kelly%20Creek%20Downhill3.jpg