• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

I made the following post in a member's thread. I'd like to hear what others have to say about auctions rather than fixed price listings:

So where do we start with the auction guidelines? Does it have to be a fixed amount of time or can the seller ends when they feel like it? Must it start out a minimum price? Can there be reserves? Do all "bids" need to be placed in the thread or can the seller say that they had a PM bid that trumps yours?

Auctions, in general, would be little more than "make me an offer" sales. Of course I recognize that trmoore has been here a long time. I certainly don't impute a bad motive to him. I've seen people run reverse auctions here that don't seem to violate the stated price rule. I.e., start at $100 and any person can but at that price. Dropped to $90, $80, etc.

But frankly I also expect long time members to be more cognizant of the rules. Not that this one was/is very clear. I'm not willing to go with the maxim that long timers are given the right to not follow the rules b/c we know their hearts are in the right place.

As long as there is an end date, the sales is honored and there is no reserve price, it meets all the criteria.

Onlyh problem I can see is real estate being taken with multiple auctions running at the top of the selling thread. The only way to combat this is to ban them or make an auction sub section much like the VCC.

I'm ok with it if there is only 1 auction at a time.

R.

As long as there is an end date, the sales is honored and there is no reserve price, it meets all the criteria.

Onlyh problem I can see is real estate being taken with multiple auctions running at the top of the selling thread. The only way to combat this is to ban them or make an auction sub section much like the VCC.

R.

One post, 10/20/30/whatever books? (shrug)

R.

One post, 10/20/30/whatever books? (shrug)

That's cool, but what if 20 different sellers start 20 different auctions?

R.

Perhaps a VCC-24 hour Auction? Maybe make it a twice a year event. Just an excuse to give FD and Shin more work to do.

Could work, could be hell. (shrug)

Andy

...how long would an auction be for? 24 hours? more? :eek:

Andy

Some have gone for days. If it's not too difficult I think an auction sub section would be the cleanest way.

R.

...how long would an auction be for? 24 hours? more? :eek:

Andy

Some have gone for days. If it's not too difficult I think an auction sub section would be the cleanest way.

R.

The reverse auction format was tried earlier. How was that received? And for the sellers, did it work for you?

I actually LOVE the idea, but, is the software here, sophisticated enough to have a specific ending time without 2 "snipers" killing each other?

I'm not sure how the Once, Twice, Sold thingy would work? Perhaps that would be better, but I suppose it could go on forever.

You actually don't need any additional software as the inital post will list the start and end time and it is all tracked by current software, ie. highest before auction end time wins. The forum clock is the software.

I little crude but it would work.

R.

I'm not sure how the Once, Twice, Sold thingy would work? Perhaps that would be better, but I suppose it could go on forever.

It could go on forever, but with stepped bid increments, it wouldn't.

It works like this - I post a list of books I'm auctioning with min bids like this:

Title Issue Grade Bid High Bidder

X-men 128 8.5 VF+ $0.25

X-men 139 9.2 NM- $0.25

X-men 143 8.5 VF+ $0.25

X-men 152 9.4 NM $0.25

X-men 155 9.4 NM $0.25

X-men 213 9.4 NM $0.25

When someone places a bid, the next "update" shows their bid as "once", like this:

Title Issue Grade Bid High Bidder Status

X-men 128 8.5 VF+ $0.25 skypinkblu once

X-men 139 9.2 NM- $0.25 skypinkblu once

X-men 143 8.5 VF+ $0.25 skypinkblu once

X-men 152 9.4 NM $0.25 skypinkblu once

X-men 155 9.4 NM $0.25 skypinkblu once

X-men 213 9.4 NM $0.25 skypinkblu once

I update the post with bids once a day (twice a day, whatever), until after 5-6 updates it looks like this:

X-men 128 8.5 VF+ $0.25 skypinkblu sold

X-men 139 9.2 NM- $0.50 dbanner twice

X-men 143 8.5 VF+ $0.25 skypinkblu sold

X-men 152 9.4 NM $0.25 skypinkblu sold

X-men 155 9.4 NM $0.75 greggy once

X-men 213 9.4 NM $0.50 dbanner twice

It could go on forever, but with stepped bid increments, it wouldn't.

It works like this - I post a list of books I'm auctioning with min bids like this:

Title Issue Grade Bid High Bidder

X-men 128 8.5 VF+ $0.25

X-men 139 9.2 NM- $0.25

X-men 143 8.5 VF+ $0.25

X-men 152 9.4 NM $0.25

X-men 155 9.4 NM $0.25

X-men 213 9.4 NM $0.25

When someone places a bid, the next "update" shows their bid as "once", like this:

X-men 128 8.5 VF+ $0.25 skypinkblu once

X-men 139 9.2 NM- $0.25 skypinkblu once

X-men 143 8.5 VF+ $0.25 skypinkblu once

X-men 152 9.4 NM $0.25 skypinkblu once

X-men 155 9.4 NM $0.25 skypinkblu once

X-men 213 9.4 NM $0.25 skypinkblu once

I update the post with bids once a day (twice a day, whatever), until after 5-6 updates it looks like this:

X-men 128 8.5 VF+ $0.25 skypinkblu sold

X-men 139 9.2 NM- $0.50 dbanner twice

X-men 143 8.5 VF+ $0.25 skypinkblu sold

X-men 152 9.4 NM $0.25 skypinkblu sold

X-men 155 9.4 NM $0.75 greggy once

X-men 213 9.4 NM $0.50 dbanner twice

Sounds interesting, but have you ever noticed how people can't seem to get those threads right? If you check any thread, even the Secret Santa ones, someone messes it up.

I find that when I list a bunch of books, and they sell quickly, or people are chatting,sometimes it takes my full concentration to keep the posts up to date, and with an ongoing auction, that would be much more important, you'd have to really think about sleeping;) I type about 90 wpm , so think about the people who are still using 2 fingers;)

Sounds like fun, but it might be difficult with more than 2 or 3 books. In any case, if someone tries it, I'll be watching:)

Like I said in the X-men 11 thread, this format was very successful and popular in the old rec.arts.comics.marketplace days. It's really not that difficult, and a friend of mine used to run some great auctions - here's an example.

You don't continuously update the thread with every new bid that's placed, you update it once a day (or whatever frequency you prefer) and simply note the current bid, bidder, and bid status (new/once/twice/sold) when you update the post.

Like I said in the X-men 11 thread, this format was very successful and popular in the old rec.arts.comics.marketplace days. It's really not that difficult, and a friend of mine used to run some great auctions - here's an example.

You don't continuously update the thread with every new bid that's placed, you update it once a day (or whatever frequency you prefer) and simply note the current bid, bidder, and bid status (new/once/twice/sold) when you update the post.

Mike, you list one, I'll watch;) :baiting: and if it's an old GA book, I might even bid;)

I like learning by SEEING;) but I do understand, and

it does sound like fun, especially if you have a book lots of people would want. It's just that you have to be willing to sell it cheap. I start my Ebay auctions at 99 cents, but sometimes, I'm afraid to watch;)

This is true. There were some amazing auctions back in those days. :cloud9:

Is wilson the shill? :whistle:

Don't sully my memories of the sweet rec.arts.comics.marketplace days.

I have no memories so tough luck, sucker

I have no memories so tough luck, sucker

:(

Mike, you list one, I'll watch;) :baiting: and if it's an old GA book, I might even bid;)

I like learning by SEEING;) but I do understand, and

it does sound like fun, especially if you have a book lots of people would want. It's just that you have to be willing to sell it cheap. I start my Ebay auctions at 99 cents, but sometimes, I'm afraid to watch;)

I've never personally ran one, and I probably wouldn't unless I had a big selection of mid-grade SA/BA books that I wanted to blow out and were worth in the $5-10 range. Now, who has that kind of stock/inventory, is very active and well-respected on the boards, and could successfully run something like that? hm