• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

I think a lot of the fears people have are unfounded

no I do not believe the board will become overloaded with ebay sellers as eBay has become a straight-up store format in almost all categories and auctions are less than 5% of their total listings. Going further "real" auctions, where the items start at nothing with no reserve are probably only 1-2% of ebay listings (and in any category)

I left ebay 10 years ago and started my own site for movie posters as I previously stated

my auctions always started at $1 & no reserve.. It can be hairy sometimes, but I've sold over 100,000 items through my auctions.

note: one reason I've been so busy here is that we changed software a year ago, it's never worked properly and I've had to change programmers and not run any auctions while we get a new site designed. So I've been trying to make up the difference. Thankfully, we are about to restart, but I will continue here because I'm sorta having fun and I want to decrease the qty of stuff in my warehouse

I didn't even know auctions were taking place and hesitated before trying it. Stuff sells cheap? Who cares. I can handle it. Prices achieved will maintain the number of listings as too many people won't want to lose against their "perception" of what they should be getting and they will stop listing and leave the forum for people who have a more pragmatic view.

People who break the rules? They will always be around, but they will always be a minority. Making 9 of out 10 people suffer by not supporting a format because 1 in 10 is a "less than intelligent person" seems to be a heavy-handed approach to me. Don't allow your life to be guided by these people. They are trifling people and will always be trifling people. (like the people who incessantly gripe about the Donnelly bros in the art forum.. shut up already.)

Don't want to participate? No one makes you. IF you don't want to see auction listings - don't look at them. At least they will be in their own neighborhood and not clogging the set sale threads.

Edited by comicartcom

My personal opinion is don't allow auctions at all unless it is some sort of charity auction thread. But if auctions are allowed, definitely a sub forum with limitations put on it. 1 thread at a time, no more than 3 books/lots per thread.

I like the idea of limiting it to people that have a certain number of posts. I think 500 was mentioned which seems reasonable. Just not sure this can actually be automated.

I ran a few successful auctions and would like to run some more, but I felt guilty every time the thread was bumped for a one dollar bid. It's annoying enough when Roy bumps his threads to say a book sold when he could have just edited the post, and all of the other sneaky tricks sellers use to bump their threads.

Annoying. :cloud9:

I really don't see the drove of unscrupulous sellers coming here that some of you are fearing. As has been mentioned several times, the standards won't benefit them. If they don't follow the standards, their efforts will get yanked, and they won't bother anymore.

I doubt it will even be nearly as popular as the regular sales forums.

However, sometimes a seller may just want whatever they can get for an item but would still like to get as much as possible, which results in a good deal for the buyer usually.

Sure they could list it and keep dropping the price till it sells. That still results in an excessive amount of thread bumps and serves pretty much the same purpose. At least in an auction everyone has a fair shot at a deal. We've all logged on to see we just missed a great buy to someone we despise.

I ran a few successful auctions and would like to run some more, but I felt guilty every time the thread was bumped for a one dollar bid. It's annoying enough when Roy bumps his threads to say a book sold when he could have just edited the post, and all of the other sneaky tricks sellers use to bump their threads.

I'd like to run some auctions here, but don't want to clog up front page real estate in the for sale forums with a bunch of $1 bids being posted. So a separate forum would be nice.

lol

Most of the drama on the boards is over bad transactions. Adding another forum where drama on an exponential scale can be released is not a good idea IMHO.

Hmm, that's a decent point.

Yeah..., except we drama queens thrive on the stuff....., :cloud9:

Most of the drama on the boards is over bad transactions. Adding another forum where drama on an exponential scale can be released is not a good idea IMHO.

I'm curious why you can't just ignore the drama and get on with what you're doing

it's not difficult to avoid

also, it gets to what I said earlier

People who break the rules? They will always be around, but they will always be a minority. Making 9 of out 10 people suffer by not supporting a format because 1 in 10 is a "less than intelligent person" seems to be a heavy-handed approach to me. Don't allow your life to be guided by these people. They are trifling people and will always be trifling people. (like the people who incessantly gripe about the Donnelly bros in the art forum.. shut up already.)

I'm curious why you can't just ignore the drama and get on with what you're doing

it's not difficult to avoid

also, it gets to what I said earlier

??? Why would we ignore drama over bad transactions? That's what the PL and HoS are for...it's how we try to keep this place kosher.

you misundertand. ignore the drama. doesn't mean you ignore and don't try to solve a problem

no matter what, bad transactions will never be more than a small percentage of deals.

some sellers are no better than used car dealers. The large majority of us are good people.

you misundertand. ignore the drama. doesn't mean you ignore and don't try to solve a problem

no matter what, bad transactions will never be more than a small percentage of deals.

some sellers are no better than used car dealers. The large majority of us are good people.

Have I bought from any?

Have I bought from any?

not sure how I would know the answer to that. you haven't bought anything from me though

Have I bought from any?

not sure how I would know the answer to that. you haven't bought anything from me though

You wouldn't. Was just curious. And I haven't, but maybe one day :)

Have I bought from any?

You wouldn't. Was just curious. And I haven't, but maybe one day :)

(thumbs u

As of right now auctions are allowed in the regular selling forums.

So no matter what something has to be done, because doing nothing and leaving it unregulated IS opening the door to a world of hurt.

I think that's the point us people that are pro auction sub-forum are trying to make.

I'm having deja vu here, not long after joining the forum I fought to split the single sales thread up. And again at that time there were those that were against change saying it was not needed etc. At that point there was one forum for all ages and including ebay sales. It was ridiculous sifting through pages of ebay sales trying to find true forum sales. Why not prevent the same thing from happening and being proactive. At worst it gets shut down.

At least by giving the beast it's own space, it will have rules and not interrupt or take away space from the other selling forums. And again, If it gets out of hand, then shut it down.

I would say just one sub-forum under forum only selling for now. If there gets to be too many auctions then I suppose it could get split up later.

I wouldn't be opposed to having one under each sub-forum mind you, but I think we also need to keep the mods in mind and how much extra work all those selling sub-forums would cause.