• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

Other than the auction I saw where the starting bid was about the same as the value, have they been selling under or over value? It seems like it would be risky for a seller to do an auction here since there are less people to bid and hard to remember all of the ending times for buyers.

I just don't get it. Many many people complain that books sell for less here than they do on other selling venues. I find it hard to believe that auctions will reverse this general trend.

I just posted in the wrong thread, but realized that there are just too many auctions... the selling forum should be for selling...

if some want auctions, create a sub forum...

if this keeps turning into ebay junior, I for one will not be participating...

I agree. Between auctions and mystery boxes, it sure feels more like ebay.

However, if auctions are going to be sanctioned by CCG/Arch/Whomever then create an auction sub-forum so that those of us who are not interested can ignore them

I agree too. The new, possible, soft close format will add to the clutter.

I just posted in the wrong thread, but realized that there are just too many auctions... the selling forum should be for selling...

However, if auctions are going to be sanctioned by CCG/Arch/Whomever then create an auction sub-forum so that those of us who are not interested can ignore them

I'm with these guys. :sumo:

I'm with these guys. :sumo:

Auctions, mystery boxes and jack-wagons that bump their sales threads to close them......., oh my :D

Even a great seller (and I'm not claiming I'm one of those - reference trmoore54's JIM thread) can't stay on page 1 of the GA/SA/BA sale thread for 1/2 a day..., Unless they shamelessly bump their wares four times a day...., like some who shall remain nameless.

I know we want a robust sales forum, but something should be done - like creating another sub forum. Or perhaps either loosening or enforcing the existing rules.

and jack-wagons that bump their sales threads to close them

:cry:

Seriously - what is up with that?

Edit the title of the first post to read closed. Why the heck would you bump a closed thread? :shrug:

Why the heck would you bump a closed thread? :shrug:

I've tried to give this more serious thought...there must be some reason people do this, because we see it so often.

Perhaps it's a passive/aggressive "parting shot"/kick in the crotch to all of us who didn't buy the books. Like..."I told you I was gon' close this thread, so here I go..it's closed...BOOM..you should have bought these books while you had the chance, you bunch'a lowballers" :D

Or, perhaps it's indeed effectively a final sales thread bump, like they're hoping people will realize, 'mess' he's really closing it...I'd better PM him about that book before he takes it to eBay/Heritage/Clink, etc. (shrug)

And no...these thoughts have nothing to do with auctions :sumo:

I assume so that when the books show up in another venue, they don't catch flak, but come on :eyeroll: All you're doing is taking up prime real estate with something that is supposedly not for sale.

I totally agree. I never even thought about the fact you could bump it while listing it somewhere else. doh! This is why I would suck as a seller. I am not devious enough to make it.... lol

Edit the title of the first post to read closed. Why the heck would you bump a closed thread? :shrug:

To make sure everyone knows it's now available on e-bay when you add that to the title :D

I've seen people "soft close" sales threads and then surprise, surprise suddenly a find a new book or two to list, thus effectively getting around the spirit of the excessive bumping rule

I've seen people "soft close" sales threads and then surprise, surprise suddenly a find a new book or two to list, thus effectively getting around the spirit of the excessive bumping rule

There's no trouble getting around that - it's frequently violated every day. Another rule that is not enforced..., but rightly so given the amount of activity that was never envisioned when the rule was made. Or something like that. hm

Other than the auction I saw where the starting bid was about the same as the value, have they been selling under or over value? It seems like it would be risky for a seller to do an auction here since there are less people to bid and hard to remember all of the ending times for buyers.

I just don't get it. Many many people complain that books sell for less here than they do on other selling venues. I find it hard to believe that auctions will reverse this general trend.

I do not believe that prices going down in any area would be reversed by auctions on this forum (if anything could reverse this trend anyway).

At the same time (and this should be obvious to anyone who has gotten stuff from me) if an item sells for a fraction of it's value, I don't care. That was the risk. People who can't suffer low priced sales won't do them.

I also don't believe that the forum will see dozens of daily auctions of material with a starting bid priced at what is already retail as is seen on eBay as you can't keep it "up front" 24/7. It slides down the page and disappears

There's no trouble getting around that - it's frequently violated every day. Another rule that is not enforced..., but rightly so given the amount of activity that was never envisioned when the rule was made. Or something like that. hm

Not enforced, or not reported? I think if these gratuitous bumps were reported, things would change. If they are not being reported, that's a very clear sign to me that the community doesn't care

Not enforced, or not reported? I think if these gratuitous bumps were reported, things would change. If they are not being reported, that's a very clear sign to me that the community doesn't care

:shrug: meh

I just don't get how adding books is a violation for excessive bumping?

Whether your thread is closed or not, I don't see the problem in adding more books. I wouldn't call that a bump, but just adding more books.

As for "bumping" your closed thread just to say it was closed. Did you miss the huge discussion on the fellow who was bumping 2 year old want to buy threads. The main problem is that the original posters did not close their threads. And how many times have we seen some noob post an I'll take it on a book that has now become hot in a 2 year old thread. So I think it is very reasonable to post just to say your thread is closed.

Of course, this coming from the guy who has 1 year long sales threads :insane:

How about all those people that run sales threads that encourage people to "talk" in their thread, post pictures and generally have fun. How about all the popcorn, how about all the hi's etc etc etc. I think everyone could complain about something every single seller on this board has done. Does one post saying your sales thread is closed really clutter up the boards, no, does it serve a purpose yes. Does posting more books serve a purpose yes, no different then if your sales thread was still open. How about all "useless" banter that goes on in some sales threads. What purpose does that serve? It's what makes this a community, that's what. I know some people just love those sales threads. Personally I avoid them, but do I resent them? No. I accept it as part of this growing community. After posting a bunch of books, and there is no action, I ask if anyone is out there, is that a shameless bump then too? Well considering I'm already at the top of the sales thread because I just posted, I would hope not. My point is for the most part people are just trying to have a little fun on here. I love this board with so many great people and it's the little quirks of each individual and how they conduct themselves that make it that way. Of course by little quirks I don't mean the scammers. If everyone ran their sales threads the same way it would be boring.

So, auctions? If people want to do auctions, let them have it. But let's put them where they belong in their own sub-forum.

Edited by comicnut

Whether your thread is closed or not, I don't see the problem in adding more books. I wouldn't call that a bump, but just adding more books.

As for "bumping" your closed thread just to say it was closed. Did you miss the huge discussion on the fellow who was bumping 2 year old want to buy threads. The main problem is that the original posters did not close their threads. And how many times have we seen some noob post an I'll take it on a book that has now become hot in a 2 year old thread. So I think it is very reasonable to post just to say your thread is closed.

How about all those people that run sales threads that encourage people to "talk" in their thread, post pictures and generally have fun. How about all the popcorn, how about all the hi's etc etc etc. I think everyone could complain about something every single seller on this board has done. Does one post saying your sales thread is closed really clutter up the boards, no, does it serve a purpose yes. Does posting more books serve a purpose yes, no different then if your sales thread was still open. How about all "useless" banter that goes on in some sales threads. What purpose does that serve? It's what makes this a community, that's what. I know some people just love those sales threads. Personally I avoid them, but do I resent them? No. I accept it as part of this growing community. After posting a bunch of books, and there is no action, I ask if anyone is out there, is that a shameless bump then too? Well considering I'm already at the top of the sales thread because I just posted, I would hope not. My point is for the most part people are just trying to have a little fun on here. I love this board with so many great people and it's the little quirks of each individual and how they conduct themselves that make it that way. Of course by little quirks I don't mean the scammers. If everyone ran their sales threads the same way it would be boring.

So, auctions? If people want to do auctions, let them have it. But let's put them where they belong in their own sub-forum.

maybe you should upload many books into one "reply" all at one time rather than adding single books 50 times a day so that you stay on top.. just a thought.

maybe you should upload many books into one "reply" all at one time rather than adding single books 50 times a day so that you stay on top.. just a thought.

There are many people, myself included, who prefer the presentation of one book per post. It is cleaner and clearer, and for those who like to quote for their purchases, or references or questions about a book, it is much easier when its one book per post.

There are many people, myself included, who prefer the presentation of one book per post. It is cleaner and clearer, and for those who like to quote for their purchases, or references or questions about a book, it is much easier when its one book per post.

great.. then what happens is you get 50 people posting single images ad-nauseam and the board becomes a mess and a fight and creates more trouble and the mods get involved and everyone gets mad.. is that what you're looking for?