• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

I thought we had an auction recently to help Matt (Shiverbones) raise enough money for his surgery? :shrug:

Yeah, those "charity/help out a board member with expenses/etc." ones fly under the radar, and I remember Arch making a similar comment regarding charity auctions when someone (Comicwiz?) asked him about it.

But that doesn't mean it's cool for personal gain, or that the board and CGC won't come down hard on profit-mongering auctioneers who simply want to transform this into EBay.

profit-mongering auctioneers > breadstick-armed fanboys

Shaddup firehair.

i say let someone try it and see what happens.

(thumbs u

I don't think people realize how simple and straightforward this is going to be. If it becomes a problem, then we can deal with it, but all this chicken-little conjecture about the end of the forums as we know them is simply not going to come to pass.

I don't have any problem with running auctions. I just think that many of the board sellers are seeing $$$ in their eyes without really thinking through what the problems could be. That said, I'd like to get on the list for a "forum store" as soon as we start those up. I'd like to be pinned towards the top if possible.

I thought we had an auction recently to help Matt (Shiverbones) raise enough money for his surgery? :shrug:

Yeah, those "charity/help out a board member with expenses/etc." ones fly under the radar, and I remember Arch making a similar comment regarding charity auctions when someone (Comicwiz?) asked him about it.

But that doesn't mean it's cool for personal gain, or that the board and CGC won't come down hard on profit-mongering auctioneers who simply want to transform this into EBay.

profit-mongering auctioneers

So someone posting a book with an Ask Price of $X, let's say for sake of argument at GPA-HI asking price, is not out to make a nice (hefty?) profit and someone who would be happy to risk a book going for 12-cents or some fraction of value is a "profit-mongering auctioneer"??? huh??? :o

I see here that for some people anything associated with eBay turns them into Pavlovian froth-at-the-mouth absolutists...

That's like insinuating that just because you're a Catholic priest you're a pedofile... :insane:

and have bids via PM only.

Oh yeah, that's a *great* idea - no chance of price manipulation there. lol

And just for the record, I am not against auctions, I am simply against letting profit-mongering auctioneers use the current Marketplace as their cheap EBay haunt.

If you want auctions, get Arch to create a new Comic Auctions forum so that the current environment will not be disrupted.

I strongly recommended no PMs...only posted bids...

Auctions - Give it a shot - set up a new sub-forum, set up the ground rules, give it a test run. I don't see anything wrong with the whole basis of the format, the seller takes a risk and if he's willing to honor that risk then go for it.

It's a great idea and though we want to keep problems to a minimum I think the positive people in this place heavily out weigh the negative ones.

I may give it a shot myself.

(thumbs u

profit-mongering auctioneers

So someone posting a book with an Ask Price of $X, let's say for sake of argument at GPA-HI asking price, is not out to make a nice (hefty?) profit and someone who would be happy to risk a book going for 12-cents or some fraction of value is a "profit-mongering auctioneer"??? huh??? :o

You profit monger you! That 12 cent opening bid might make you a millionaire meh

I don't have any problem with running auctions. I just think that many of the board sellers are seeing $$$ in their eyes without really thinking through what the problems could be.

Sorry?

You think this is going to be giving CLink a run for their money? :screwy:

The way I would see it is it's an opportunity to shift stuff for much less than you would list it here for...and potentially taking a bath...with the occasional 'hot' book making you a bit of your losses back.

Oh, and it might actually be a bit of fun...although I think rule 6 (a.2) does suggest we keep that sort of thing to an absolute minimum. meh

List all the auctions you guys want. Just keep in mind that we are talking about the forums here. I seriously doubt that all these dollar signs will be realized. The flood of profit mongering scalawags will end as soon as the first .25 book goes out the door. Crisis adverted. Over and done. lol

Then, just wait until someone flips one of these "auction" books for a profit. Katie bar the door. :eek:

The way I would see it is it's an opportunity to shift stuff for much less than you would list it here for...and potentially taking a bath...

Me too, an opportunity to clear out some boxes and give forum members some books for cheap. I don't see $$$, I see $$$, but what the hey, if you're willing to let 'em fly cheap, let 'em fly cheap! (thumbs u

List all the auctions you guys want. Just keep in mind that we are talking about the forums here. I seriously doubt that all these dollar signs will be realized. The flood of profit mongering scalawags will end as soon as the first .25 book goes out the door. Crisis adverted. Over and done. lol

Then, just wait until someone flips one of these "auction" books for a profit. Katie bar the door. :eek:

(worship)

I don't have any problem with running auctions. I just think that many of the board sellers are seeing $$$ in their eyes without really thinking through what the problems could be.

Sorry?

The way I would see it is it's an opportunity to shift stuff for much less than you would list it here for...and potentially taking a bath...with the occasional 'hot' book making you a bit of your losses back.

Oh, and it might actually be a bit of fun...although I think rule 6 (a.2) does suggest we keep that sort of thing to an absolute minimum. meh

Sure, that's exactly what I was saying. Obviously I was comparing the CGC Board sales, where books regularly go for 40% to 50% of guide, to CLInk. Glad you made the connection. :screwy:

Sorry?

Sure, that's exactly what I was saying. Obviously I was comparing the CGC Board sales, where books regularly go for 40% to 50% of guide, to CLInk. Glad you made the connection. :screwy:

So what the were you saying? (shrug)

Sorry?

Link to 60% off guide sales thread, please.