• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

Do it in the VCC Forum. If it doesn't work, I'll move the thread.

I'm going to stick to my earlier prediction of 500 posts with nothing being accomplished. (thumbs u

^^

I'll start a test auction tonite!

Maybe....got to think of what to sell.

hm

Now there's a good idea!!

Rather than filling up this forum with a pile of beta-testing auctioneers, go somewhere else and hammer it out.

I'm going to stick to my earlier prediction of 500 posts with nothing being accomplished. (thumbs u

How is that different from most sales threads? lol

I think, however, that before we request a sub-forum, we need to beta test here to iron out the problems...

Read this statement over a few times. doh!

Try reading mine. doh! doh! doh!

You say test in a sub-forum.

I say test here and request a sub-forum.

Now there's a good idea!!

Rather than filling up this forum with a pile of beta-testing auctioneers, go somewhere else and hammer it out.

Now, that suits us both, no? hm

Good call, FD. (thumbs u

Now to how bidding would work. I vote public, no PM. And you guys should probably only allow people who have at least x amount of posts to bid, and or completed transactions. Good call FD

Banner's entire forum existence is about opening up the Forum-Only Marketplace to pretty well any Tom, or Harry that stumbles by.

Nice ad hominem attack. doh!

But actually Vince, my comments and opinions on this topic are based on 12+ years of experience buying and selling books on the internet, including racm, ebay, here, Comiclink, Pedigree, etc.,. in both "fixed" and "auction" format, and in participating in auctions on Yahoo, ebay, Heritage, and so forth. I know what I'm talking about, and it's based on actual, practical experience and not on theories and fears of what might happen. (thumbs u

But enough about me, why don't you tell us what pitfalls you have encountered when trying to sell books on the internet? [crickets chirping]

lol

You NEVER beta test in a live production environment, as it risks screwing up your current data (threads).

That's the main purpose of requesting a sub-forum, getting somewhere clean that if the beta auctions screw things up and create problems, it doesn't affect anything else.

But actually Vince, my comments and opinions on this topic are based on 12+ years of experience buying and selling books on the internet, including racm, ebay, here, Comiclink, Pedigree, etc.,. in both "fixed" and "auction" format, and in participating in auctions on Yahoo, ebay, Heritage, and so forth.

So you are guaranteeing, 100%, that nothing could, would or will adversely affect the existing BIN Marketplace if we open it up fully to EBay-style auctions. In your experience, you've never seen any abuse or problems arise, and it's 100% smooth sailing?

Can you guarantee this? (shrug)

Exactly. Despite repeated requests, sub-forums have not been created for GA/SA/BA/whatever because, I assume, the mods don't feel the numbers warrant it. If auctions become all the rage, then we can request one.

I wouldn't run anything in the VCC unless it was part of the VCC ( hm ), a couple auction threads in the regular forum to see how this might work is not going to cause a problem.

But actually Vince, my comments and opinions on this topic are based on 12+ years of experience buying and selling books on the internet, including racm, ebay, here, Comiclink, Pedigree, etc.,. in both "fixed" and "auction" format, and in participating in auctions on Yahoo, ebay, Heritage, and so forth.

So you are guaranteeing, 100%, that nothing could, would or will adversely affect the existing BIN Marketplace if we open it up fully to EBay-style auctions. In your experience, you've never seen any abuse or problems arise, and it's 100% smooth sailing?

No. Any more questions?

Exactly. Despite repeated requests, sub-forums have not been created for GA/SA/BA/whatever because, I assume, the mods don't feel the numbers warrant it. If auctions become all the rage, then we can request one.

I wouldn't run anything in the VCC unless it was part of the VCC ( hm ), a couple auction threads in the regular forum to see how this might work is not going to cause a problem.

I'm tempted to try this with a really big book.

hm

No. Any more questions?

doh!

So, let's where we are here.

"Beta Tests" can be held over in Donut's house (VCC domain). There is some debate about HOW the auctions should... so how about those that want to try this, play around with the way you set up your auction- some take PMs, some only public bids; some try the highest price bid while others play with the incremental method.

Give it a week, and let's all come back here in the General Thread to discuss the results! :golfclap:

I'm tempted to try this with a really big book.

A shiny, bright, GA'er with white pages!?!? :o

You're braver than me...I see running auctions here as a venue for dumping books "wholesale", but I guess you never know what will happen with high quality items, good luck! (thumbs u

So, let's where we are here.

"Beta Tests" can be held over in Donut's house (VCC domain). There is some debate about HOW the auctions should... so how about those that want to try this, play around with the way you set up your auction- some take PMs, some only public bids; some try the highest price bid while others play with the incremental method.

Give it a week, and let's all come back here in the General Thread to discuss the results! :golfclap:

Here's an idea - how about we first run one or three auctions, let those that are going to run them decide how they're going to work, when they're going to run them, where they're going to run them, and then we can take 10 (or 37) pages and have a discussion on something that actually happened and then see where we are. (thumbs u