• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

What sort of time frame are u guys thinking for how long an auction should run on these boards? A few hours? Days?

What sort of time frame are u guys thinking for how long an auction should run on these boards? A few hours? Days?

For a fixed end-time auction, I generally think you would want to give yourself at least a week like trmoore is doing, possibly more for bigger ticket items. If it's during the VCC, there will probably be enough activity on the boards to run a nice auction Fri-Sun.

Using the one-twice-sold auction format and assuming you update the bids daily, you're looking at 3 days until the first items are "sold", but the auction could go on well beyond that if bidders continually bid on the items.

Thinking about it? You have lots of stuff that flies out of here so quickly that you'd probably have plenty of buyers interested if you threw up an auction, go for it! :applause:

You won't find it because there is no such guideline, written or not...you're fine to run an auction if you'd like, good luck! (thumbs u

Yet again, misinformation from the Dr. :whistle:

5. It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

You won't find it because there is no such guideline, written or not...you're fine to run an auction if you'd like, good luck! (thumbs u

5. It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

Divad, you know as well as i do that the rule was written to prevent people from pulling funny stuff like changing prices, switching books etc. If a seller honors the auction terms (ie honors the hi bidder at auctiOn close) then there is no problem.

It's not that the auction format breaks the rules, but rather the rules did not envision an auction format (which is a totally acceptable form of selling in any field) and just need a slight tweak. As long as bids are public and time/bids/books are honored there is no problems as far as breaking the meaning of the rule.

See what I mean?

:wishluck:

I think a lot of what Vince said makes sense (please don't hit me) ;) what FD said, makes sense, what a lot of people said makes sense...and of course Nick knows I worship him;)...

Test it...have fun...and don't mess up the marketplace yet...

Why not dedicate one VCC for an all auction format, that way it would be separate, a dedicated time, would not mess up the marketplace, and would be a decent test. In addition, you'd have more traffic.

Divad, you know as well as i do that the rule was written to prevent people from pulling funny stuff like changing prices, switching books etc. If a seller honors the auction terms (ie honors the hi bidder at auctiOn close) then there is no problem.

Actually, the rule was specifically added to prevent people from listing books without a price at all, as in "Make me an offer!". That said, the rule definitely has value in an auction format in that it will prevent sellers from having reserves, so any board auctions must be true auctions - books sold to the highest bidder.

Thank you. The same people who argue whether GPA is worth quoting, is pressing resto and how much thread real estate a seller should use....among other things that fail to come to mind right now.

Yeah, and although this sounds like Jim more than me, it must really irritate funny book collectors to have people with ethics on here. lollol

Like Holy Water on a Vampire.

doh!

I won't even bother responding to that. Hopefully you're not implying that I'm unethical just because I think you are too vocal for your own good.

He's not implying that you're unethical, he's saying that everyone here is unethical, other then him. (thumbs u

It's not that the auction format breaks the rules, but rather the rules did not envision an auction format

No, the auction format has been brought up many times in the past, and the last word I remember from Arch is that charity/help a forum member out/etc. auctions are fine.

He didn't state that profit-oriented sales auctions were disallowed, but I don't remember seeing the thumb's up either. hm

Trmoore is already running one with absolutely no adverse effects except all this wasted bickering over it! (shrug)

Wouldn't life be easy if all you ever needed was a test case of one. :cloud9:

It would take about three seconds to create a new sub-forum. Don't let the amount of work needed be a stumbling block.

I think the real answer is somewhere in the middle of banner's laissez-faire and vince's "death comes to the Marketplace" positions. It's going to reduce problems for some, create problems for others and ultimately matter not a hell of a lot in the big picture

...and ultimately matter not a hell of a lot in the big picture.

Pretty much spot on, and I really like your laissez-faire attitude about the whole thing! lol

It's not that the auction format breaks the rules, but rather the rules did not envision an auction format (which is a totally acceptable form of selling in any field) and just need a slight tweak. As long as bids are public and time/bids/books are honored there is no problems as far as breaking the meaning of the rule.

See what I mean?

:wishluck:

Roy,

Actually no, that is not why Arch wrote the guideline the way he did. There were auctions before - this is not a new idea. But you don't need to believe me - just ask Arch. :foryou:

As a comment to the general idea of auctions, I don't see their place here, but I don't really care either way. However, anyone imposing their idea of what the restrictions should be, is a bit over the top. As others have said, they're your books, sell 'em however you want. But I'll add - just follow the current guidelines. ;) (whatever they may be)

-d

Just out of curiosity, why do we really an auction format? What is the benefit?

To maximize the return to the seller, of course. :grin:

Seriously, the auction format (not ebay's though) establishes the fair marketplace, as defined by what a willing seller will accept, and what a willing buyer will pay.

Nick delineated some of the benefits of running an auction previously, but it's just another format for sellers to try, it could be fun, add some diversity, etc.,.

I'm going to start an auction for front row seats to seeing me pile drive you in chicago.