• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man 4: I Told Y'All So!!!

91 posts in this topic

I would argue that Kraven, as he was presented in "Kraven's last Hunt", would make for a much more interesting and compelling villain on screen. I can see some spectacular battle sequences happening with the Lizard, but strictly in terms of characterization, I think Kraven has more potential.

All I know is I am really, really happy that people on this board do not get a say on who should be the villain in any movie.

Whatever that means. It isn't like we're making up our own villains.

The Dark Knight had two and it was the greatest superhero film ever made.

I can think of 4 superhero movies I enjoyed more than TDK.

And I worry Benecio del Toro might be a little too... smallish for the role?

What do you mean by smallish, you mean his reputation? I think his reputation has been rather large since he got that Oscar nomination for that drug movie he was in. If you meant physical size, he's not really small at 6' 2". Javier Bardem and Antonio Banderas are both smaller at around 5' 9".

Bardem would be the most intimidating Kraven, but Jeffrey Dean Morgan probably would be the best one overall. He looks the part, is physically bigger, and displayed a highly compelling mix of both fury and charm as the Comedian in Watchmen, which is a similar mix of personality traits required to play Kraven.

I would argue that Kraven, as he was presented in "Kraven's last Hunt", would make for a much more interesting and compelling villain on screen.

Argh, I HATED those cross-title multi-parters. I never read it because I don't have the Web of Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man parts of the story. :frustrated:

:o

Taking seriously your opinions on taste will henceforth be an uphill battle for me. (tsk):baiting:

:o

Taking seriously your opinions on taste will henceforth be an uphill battle for me. (tsk):baiting:

SM and SM 2 take the top spots for me. As a Spidey fanatic, seeing him on the big screen for the first time made me feel like a kid. Although I thought SM 2 was a little better, the excitement I felt sitting in the theater as SM was starting factors heavily into my overall perception of the movie.

I liked Batman Begins better than TDK. My cousin, who is a huge Batman freak, agrees.

I go back and forth on whether or not Iron Man was better than TDK. I have to watch them both again. I think the problem here is that my expectations of Iron Man were really low, while all TDK hype had me expecting the second coming.

I would argue that Kraven, as he was presented in "Kraven's last Hunt", would make for a much more interesting and compelling villain on screen.

Argh, I HATED those cross-title multi-parters. I never read it because I don't have the Web of Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man parts of the story. :frustrated:

There's a TPB...

41901KPZLOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

:whistle:

Probably been mentioned elsewhere, and I know the Scorpion hasn't been mentioned as a contender for the villain in the next movie, but here it goes:

Did anyone happen to play the Spider-man 3 Video Game? They had the Scorpion in there as one of the bosses and they gave him a decent story that could fit for a movie. The gist of it was Gargan is wearing a battle-suit with a Scorpion-like tail. He's held the against his will and is being controlled to act the way he does (either via the suit or chemical means, I don't remember). By the end, even as he's fighting, he's vocally saying that he doesn't want to fight, but the suit attacking regardless. It wasn't completely developed in the game, but it had a good start and they even gave him a more "movie-quality" suit.

Just throwing it out there to see if it's been mentioned. (shrug)

I'm still guessing Kraven. Not sure who I'd cast him as though...Antonio Banderas? No, needs to be somebody a lot tougher...hmmm. hm

Daniel Day-Lewis.

there-will-be-blood-over-the-top.jpg

I drink your milkshake! I drink it aaaaallllllll up! :grin:

Probably been mentioned elsewhere, and I know the Scorpion hasn't been mentioned as a contender for the villain in the next movie, but here it goes:

Did anyone happen to play the Spider-man 3 Video Game? They had the Scorpion in there as one of the bosses and they gave him a decent story that could fit for a movie. The gist of it was Gargan is wearing a battle-suit with a Scorpion-like tail. He's held the against his will and is being controlled to act the way he does (either via the suit or chemical means, I don't remember). By the end, even as he's fighting, he's vocally saying that he doesn't want to fight, but the suit attacking regardless. It wasn't completely developed in the game, but it had a good start and they even gave him a more "movie-quality" suit.

Just throwing it out there to see if it's been mentioned. (shrug)

Or they could just stick with JJJ being the reason we have Scorpion. (Hell, it was like this in that Spider-Man game for the PS1, with JJ being the reason for Scorpion)

All I know is I am really, really happy that people on this board do not get a say on who should be the villain in any movie.

I voted for The Spot!

:cloud9:

That's good news. Hold onto your ASM 15s everyone.

and if you didn't hold on to your ASM #15, Robojo33 has a gorgeous one for sale on FeeBay right now! Get your bids in!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-15-VFN-8-5_W0QQitemZ150349884523QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23018d2c6b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

that was a hella good storyline that you missed, IMO, probably the last good spidey plot. :cloud9:

You can pick up the entire storyline as a tradepaperback on Ebay or Amazon.

I would argue that Kraven, as he was presented in "Kraven's last Hunt", would make for a much more interesting and compelling villain on screen. I can see some spectacular battle sequences happening with the Lizard, but strictly in terms of characterization, I think Kraven has more potential.

I'm almost positive Lizard will be involved.

He'll fit perfectly into Raimi's "Woe is Me" concept of a super villain.

That said, I will be much more excited about this movie if they score an actor like Mortensen to play a villain.

Also agree with you, I thought Spider Man 2, Superman, Iron Man and Batman Begins were better (in the sense I enjoyed myself tremendously watching them) than Dark Knight.

All 5 were four star movies in my mind.

:popcorn:

And I worry Benecio del Toro might be a little too... smallish for the role?

What do you mean by smallish, you mean his reputation? I think his reputation has been rather large since he got that Oscar nomination for that drug movie he was in. If you meant physical size, he's not really small at 6' 2". Javier Bardem and Antonio Banderas are both smaller at around 5' 9".

Bardem would be the most intimidating Kraven, but Jeffrey Dean Morgan probably would be the best one overall. He looks the part, is physically bigger, and displayed a highly compelling mix of both fury and charm as the Comedian in Watchmen, which is a similar mix of personality traits required to play Kraven.

I'm being literal in my reference to smallish--he's just not a well built guy. If you don't take my quote out of context, you'll see I refer to actors doing some pretty remarkable things to get ready for a role. Reputation doesn't really make sense when you look at the rest of what I said ;) And the fact is, Kraven is a big, big dude. He towers over Spidey and he's barrel chested, so de Toro just wouldn't have been my first pick physically.

And you've GOT to read Kraven's Last Hunt. There are very, very few ASM collectors who don't cite this as one of the top Spider-Man stories of all time. It's a combination of brilliant writing that works in unison with some really well-done artwork resulting in one of the best story arcs going.

I think part of the reason SM 3 failed on the villain front is they tried to provide both villains with an equal amount of air time and the result was two watered down villains--actually three when you toss in Harry Osborn/Green Goblin II. As someone else stated, Scarecrow wasn't as fully developed in Batman Begins, but this worked because he wasn't meant to be the primary bad guy--Ra's Al Ghul was and they provided him with more than sufficient time to develop on screen as a believable character. Same thing with Spider-Man 2: you only had two villains with one taking the majority of the spotlight (Dr. Ock) and the secondary villain only showing up as needed to move the plot (Harry Osborn). So long as SM 4 follows suit of SM 2, I think it'll turn out just fine.