• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the deal with hoarding?

198 posts in this topic

Only TWO 9.8's and ONE 9.9. This iMSM is VERY hard to get in high-grade.

----------------

why is that? i see lots of copies in pretty nice shape, but not 9.8s I suppose. are they prone to chipping on the right side or something? i think a tiny bit of chippage was the only defect in one i sold to you.

Starter IMSM CGC set

Cal, I just caught this, but in your signature line you are only listed as No. 9 in the IMSB registry with all those copies?

Does someone have a 9.8 that beat you out, as I was surprised?

What you see is the Ranking of the "Registry Set: Marvel 1968 Starters". These are the First Issues of:

1) Captain America # 100( took over the numbering from Tales of Suspense # 99);

2) Iron Man/Subby the one-shot for that one month as Shellhead and Subby were in limbo;

3) Hulk # 102( took over the numbering from Tales to Astonish # 101);

4) Captain Savage # 1;

5) Captain Marvel # 1;

6) Doctor Strange # 169( took over the numbering of Strange Tales # 168);

7) Silver Surfer # 1;

8) Iron Man # 1;

9) Sub-Mariner # 1;

10) Nick Fury # 1

The IMSM is not a 'set" in itself.

I have a few candidates for the 9.8 possible 9.9 I will be sending in sometime soon.

CAL :hi:

When you say "possible 9.9" do you mean like the raw 9.9 book you have on ebay right now?

J.U.D.G.E. Secret Rage # 1 by Greg Horn 1999 NM/MT+ 9.9

If so, good luck with that submission (thumbs u

Mattingly is a prime example of how you simply cannot project the future in sports and how a little injury can really change a career. The guy was a "sure fire" hall of famer after his first 6 or so seasons in the bigs, but the last half of his career was pretty average and I don't think the voters even gave him 5% for the Hall. This befuddles me because his numbers were pretty much on par with Jim Rice's (or would have been had he played another season or two, which he could have easily done), except that Rice got to DH a lot and Mattingly won a zillion gold gloves instead. Anti-Yankee bias I say.

OK, sorry, I forgot this was a comics board.

Very true. And the exact same was said about Clark. I don't remember the order of the injuries but Clark injured his elbow at one point, and that became a debilitating, nagging injury for the remainder of his career. Then came knee injuries I think. The injuries kept him from being a 400 home run, 3000 hit player that he should have been. It would've been tough for him to get in still IMHO but those numbers would've been helpful. That, and the fact that he was known league-wide as perhaps the best clutch hitter in the game during his prime. Still holds the NLCS record I think, batting .650 with a couple of dingers to basically single-handedly stomp the Cubbies and put he Giants into the World Series. Mark Grace (another of my favs) had a pretty darn good NLCS too if I recall.

I tell everyone about how much Bank I could make off of the 9.8/9.9 but i know me -once I received the 9.8/9.9 I would want to keep them and never sell.

CAL who likes his pets

Starter IMSM CGC set

Cal, I just caught this, but in your signature line you are only listed as No. 9 in the IMSB registry with all those copies?

Does someone have a 9.8 that beat you out, as I was surprised?

What you see is the Ranking of the "Registry Set: Marvel 1968 Starters". These are the First Issues of:

1) Captain America # 100( took over the numbering from Tales of Suspense # 99);

2) Iron Man/Subby the one-shot for that one month as Shellhead and Subby were in limbo;

3) Hulk # 102( took over the numbering from Tales to Astonish # 101);

4) Captain Savage # 1;

5) Captain Marvel # 1;

6) Doctor Strange # 169( took over the numbering of Strange Tales # 168);

7) Silver Surfer # 1;

8) Iron Man # 1;

9) Sub-Mariner # 1;

10) Nick Fury # 1

The IMSM is not a 'set" in itself.

I have a few candidates for the 9.8 possible 9.9 I will be sending in sometime soon.

CAL :hi:

When you say "possible 9.9" do you mean like the raw 9.9 book you have on ebay right now?

J.U.D.G.E. Secret Rage # 1 by Greg Horn 1999 NM/MT+ 9.9

If so, good luck with that submission (thumbs u

I may as well send this in to really see what it would get. I can't find anything wrong with this copy.

Have had limited success w/ 9.8/9.9.

I sent in that Spawn 1 that got the 9.9 and a few 9.8's. The Avengylene embossed cover got the 9.8 but I was sure it would have a shot @ 9.9/10.0.

The 9.8 is received a lot and seems like the "template" grade???

CAL slowly getting super-package ready for submissions

I do not hoard I buy in bulk and end up with multiples and then just do not like selling the books! :sumo: Yes my wife complains about the multiples of books that I have, but I told her if I sold the books what would I do with the empty boxes! (shrug):idea: I would have to buy more books to put in the empty boxes! yeah now that's the ticket! :devil:

----------------

why is that? i see lots of copies in pretty nice shape, but not 9.8s I suppose. are they prone to chipping on the right side or something? i think a tiny bit of chippage was the only defect in one i sold to you.

Yes you are right that there are a lot of "nice" copies out there. The interpretation of "nice" is subjective.

I am not defending the IMSM in an unreasonable manner BUT:

1) The "marvel chipping" is very common on the upper left back cover. The same spot, too. This tells me that the production run had minor troubles.

2) Many copies have the green "distributors' ink" on the lower right side splash page;

3) The interior page-cut edges are uneven on a lot of copies. This is possible as I believe that the IMSM was probbaly the LAST ones printed that month( November 1967) and that newsprint cutter may have just been overworked/worn a bit. Next step would be the continual maintenence of the machinery as they prepared for the next print runs.

4) On a very few copies the logo was BLUE instead of the usual purple; SNE sold me one, and this man kept pestering me to sell it to him when he saw it on my blog sites. I relented and made coin off the NM- 9.2 copy, but since regretted selling it to him. The point is that the logo coloring is almost universally consistent, but it was explained to me that the ink-wells just ran almost dry at the end of the print run. Out of the THOUSANDS of copies I have handled over the years, about 10 have the different logo background. The only other copy that sticks out in my mind like this one is ( I think the Issue number is) Iron Man # 15 Red Ghost/Apes cover.

The IMSM was also under the radar during it's display life. Not every comic reader knew about it at the time, including me. As Marvel just obtained permission to expand their number of titles, the IMSM was set back to the end of the line of titles for many kids to buy. This may have led to a lot of dealer's returns. As the IMSM was a true "one-shot" I can reason that some kids did not think the Issue was important enough to buy. I did not have enough money to get him as my allowance used to be a $1.00 per month and recall having to put the IMSM back on the spinner rack. This event has led to what has happened to this very day - I want to buy all I can.

CAL off to the Bay to see if he can add to his current home of "pets"

Hey Cal, I was looking at your ebay auctions and your shipping rates seem to vary from $25 - $34 to ship to Canada. Not sure if you're aware of this.

Hello Gladuchucka99

I hastily used the eBay templates when listing items similar to the ones I continually sell.

The raw comics to Canada should be the $25-ish range.

The $33.85 is the Express International Signature Confirmation, which is the price to ship CGC and big items to Canada.

Yes the ship rates has been discussed ad nauseum and I carefully explained that I need to be able to track and have the Customers sign for the items. This is to protect myself against those PayPal reversals which cost me $$$. I am not the best businessman out there but I cannot keep losing items to the scamsters out there. Unfortunately everyone else pays that price.

If it makes anyone out there feel better about this I just paid $65 for an Iron Man CGC comic from Europe. I wanted the comic so I paid the ship cost.

CAL at work now

I wish I still had my old pre-Unity VALIANT hoard pic...

*sigh*

-slym (has a collection that is turning into a shadow of it's former self)

Better days will come again, and you will have the full Harbinger 1 twenty copies you had before.

Oh, I only had four or five copies of Harby 1 - it was the Rais that took up half my long-box.

Did someone ask for a Harby #1 hoard pic......?

No, but has that ever stopped you?

:D

-slym

Very imPRESSive. Matt does super work!