• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I'm sorry the deal fell through. I know you've been looking for this book for awhile and i can appreciate the frustration of committing to the purchase and moving money around. It's allot of $$ and not an easy decision. 

I personally don't think it's PL worthy. He didn't offer the book for sale and I can appreciate having a change of heart on a book you weren't looking to sell.  

I would move on amicably if possible.  That said, I think with your price range and trade bait, you'll find the right deal.  There are a few dealers on these boards that can probably help you out quickly and easily. 

@KCOComics

What exactly is PL worthy? He agreed to a sale, and then backed out. Yes, he never put the book up for sale, but I'm not sure that I see how that's relevant. He agreed to a sale, and then broke it. It seems pretty cut and dried to me.

And in regard to your thoughts about my trade bait, most people in the thread stated that I shouldn't expect a value for value trade for my books, as the only person who might be interested in my trade would likely be a dealer.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by Math Teacher

2 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

@Ryan.

No, I fully understand that I cannot force this user to sell me this book. But he did not express reluctance until after two days, one of which I was incommunicado through no fault of my own. Whatever happened to "My word is my bond."?

I'm not saying you're wrong or that I even disagree with your philosophy on the matter but this is the PL discussion where there is one of two logical outcomes if you pursue: he either sells you the book or goes on the list until some kind of resolution is reached. 

I've had buyers and sellers back out of deals over the years, including some BSD dealers, for various reasons. I shrug and move on. I'm not interested in completing transactions when bad feelings are involved. 

Yours was a pretty specifically unique circumstance that I do not believe falls into the black and white rules of the sales forum. Just my opinion. 

@Math Teacher - first off, I'd take out the political reference from your last post, or it will probably go poof.

Second, that offer to put a false value declaration on the book...yes, I'm sure people do it and get away with it all the time, but...18 U.S. Code § 542 - Entry of goods by means of false statements | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

I'd bag this one.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

@KCOComics

What exactly is PL worthy? He agreed to a sale, and then backed out. Yes, he never put the book up for sale, but I'm not sure that I see how that's relevant. He agreed to a sale, and then broke it. It seems pretty cut and dried to me.

And in regard to your thoughts about my trade bait, most people in the thread stated that I shouldn't expect a value for value trade for my books, as the only person who might be interested in my trade would likely be a dealer.

Thanks for your input.

I guess I meant the trade bait more as assets that could be sold for the book. 

In any event, I agree with @Ryan. I don't think your wrong, I don't think it was "right" and I understand your frustration.  I would be frustrated to.  I just see this a little differently than if someone offered the book for sale, then pulled out. 

Putting him on the PL has consequences. Virtually every sales thread starts with "no PL, no HOS".  I'm not sure this is deserving of those consequences. 

@Foolkiller

Can you please explain why? Granted, this didn't appear in a sales thread, but agreeing to a sale and then reneging on it isn't right. I assume that if this had happened to you, you would be OK with it?

Thanks for your input!

I empathize with you but I'm in agreement with the majority of the responses. Being disappointed in a sale falling through despite promises made for a book is agonizing. We've all been there in a myriad of different ways, especially if you've been in the hobby long enough. Unfortunately, you won't receive the support that you feel is warranted based on the fact that you initiated a "sale" by approaching the owner and that's the important distinction for PL worthiness. Despite all your best efforts to communicate your personal situation and the timing of the logistics of a sale, it has nothing to do with the owner of the book and was just that...personal. In retrospect, you would have been better off waiting until you were 100% available to work out a deal without any unforeseen predicaments to stand in your way. As I understand, money was not exchanged and the owner decided to keep his book...a book he did not solicitate for sale. It's rather black and white. I'm not saying there is not perhaps a "moral" obligation to complete a "deal" but this is hardly probation worthy. My advice is to let this go and consider it a life lesson that will only make you stronger as a collector in the future. The members of this list have strong and long memories and it may be better in the bigger picture to keep searching for another copy (as it will inevitably come along) rather than to continue down this road and scare away any potential future sales on the boards...it's hardly a scarce book. I wish you luck and no, I would not be ok with it either but I would also recognize that not being ok with it hardly amounts to a hill of beans.

@Foolkiller

Can you please explain why? Granted, this didn't appear in a sales thread, but agreeing to a sale and then reneging on it isn't right. I assume that if this had happened to you, you would be OK with it?

Thanks for your input!

Just take your $16,500 and buy a different copy.  As already mentioned, the book is plentiful.(shrug)

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Do I have to go through the thread to figure out what the $16,500 book was?

Actually reading a thread is highly recommended, I hear.

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

I wanted a clever AR 15 gif but this showed up and I was like oh,that's cool

giphy.gif

That's pretty good pic though for "Look out, Mega Key AF 15 in the Pool"!