• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,202 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

While on the topic of future changes to how voting is performed, I'd like to formally propose adjusting voting to occur after both sides have had adequate time to express their position.  Perhaps two posts: 1) Discussion post 2) Voting post.  The Defendant will have 3-7 days to post their side of the story and both parties will be given time to either refute each others statements or work out a solution.  After 7 days if no solution has occurred, then a vote post will be created.

Thoughts?  Flaws?

Dylan would have had adequate time to express his position if he had not gotten himself suspended for a separate issue.

8 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

So you can't edit it? That was what I was thinking, that maybe it could be private and then be edited to be public.

That might be possible.....although we were running into a few issues yesterday with editing the text in the first post (adding the final note) after the poll had ended.  It would not allow that to happen if the poll was closed.

However, I'm thinking it might allow the box to be checked to make the poll public after it ends. 

If it won't allow that after the poll ends, then perhaps the poll could be switched to public just prior to it ending.

I'll see if I can play around with that in the "testing" area to see what works.

5 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Dylan would have had adequate time to express his position if he had not gotten himself suspended for a separate issue.

Yeah, but the problem was that voting had already begun and there had to be 100+ votes in while Dylan was on probation (pre-ban).  I don't think what Dylan had to say would have made any difference in this scenario, but you never know if it will in a future case.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm a proponent of the idea that human development occurs as a result of nature and nurture.  In this case, it wouldn't shock me to find that Dylan's behavior is partially a result of how he was raised.  As a result, I have little faith that his parental figures would view his behavior as out of line as in some small regard, he likely learned it from them.  This is me taking the pessimistic view.  I don't know Dylan or his father and could be entirely wrong.  But I also wouldn't be shocked to find out otherwise.

It's a possibility and all we have is speculation but I believe he has a learning disability or a diagnosed disorder of some type.  He seems to make decisions based on emotion and seems to have difficulty understanding long term consequences.  He thinks he's the good guy and wants to be the good guy but he's making decisions a villain would make.

27 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

While on the topic of future changes to how voting is performed, I'd like to formally propose adjusting voting to occur after both sides have had adequate time to express their position.  Perhaps two posts: 1) Discussion post 2) Voting post.  The Defendant will have 3-7 days to post their side of the story and both parties will be given time to either refute each others statements or work out a solution.  After 7 days if no solution has occurred, then a vote post will be created.

Thoughts?  Flaws?

I'll just say that some things might sound ok on paper.....until you're the one that has to implement everything.

In a normal scenario, a poll/thread would be created and the accused would have an opportunity to post in it from the beginning.  In this particular instance, Dylan had acted like he drank a case of Jolt and then forgot to take his Ritalin.  

Actions/Consequences

I made an effort to ensure that those who wished to hear from Dylan, prior to voting, were able to.  Some people chose (before it was known he was suspended) to cast a vote prior to him posting in the thread.  That was their choice.  No matter what is done....some people will wait to hear from both sides before voting.....and some people wont......even if there is a separate thread.

Nothing is going to be perfect.....and nothing is going to satisfy everyone.  

Buy, hey......I'm open to change and am willing to go along with whatever the boards decide......because I'll be sitting back and laughing at the next "sucker" that decides to volunteer. lol

:::raises eyebrow and looks at Buzzetta......and ExNihilo:::

1 minute ago, Domo Arigato said:

I'll just say that some things might sound ok on paper.....until you're the one that has to implement everything.

In a normal scenario, a poll/thread would be created and the accused would have an opportunity to post in it from the beginning.  In this particular instance, Dylan had acted like he drank a case of Jolt and then forgot to take his Ritalin.  

Actions/Consequences

I made an effort to ensure that those who wished to hear from Dylan, prior to voting, were able to.  Some people chose (before it was known he was suspended) to cast a vote prior to him posting in the thread.  That was their choice.  No matter what is done....some people will wait to hear from both sides before voting.....and some people wont......even if there is a separate thread.

Nothing is going to be perfect.....and nothing is going to satisfy everyone.  

Buy, hey......I'm open to change and am willing to go along with whatever the boards decide......because I'll be sitting back and laughing at the next "sucker" that decides to volunteer. lol

:::raises eyebrow and looks at Buzzetta......and ExNihilo:::

Thank you for your service.  :download:

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

It's a possibility and all we have is speculation but I believe he has a learning disability or a diagnosed disorder of some type.  He seems to make decisions based on emotion and seems to have difficulty understanding long term consequences.  He thinks he's the good guy and wants to be the good guy but he's making decisions a villain would make.

He is still sending me emails.....which I am responding to.

Edit:  Thought better of it and deleted the excerpts.  Might be best just to let it end. 

Double Secret Probation Edit:  thehumantorch quoted me before I could delete them....so might as well add them back in. :busy:

Some excerpts:

------------------------------

"50 guys stood up for me today and THAT was more valuable and inspirational than 200 guys going up against me. The opposing army didn't even wait for the end of the battle. We were outnumbered 4 to 1 and they gave up cause we're that good."

-----------------------------

"I think ending the voting early casts reasonable doubt as to the validity."  (I explained to him the poll was hidden briefly to stop him from altering the results with his shill accounts)

-----------------------------------

"I totally expected this to happen at some point because of my relentless perseverance and other things that people don't like.
After it was extended, it was radically and abruptly stopped when the voting started going in my way."   (Again....I explained to him it was hidden because of the shills he was using.)

------------------------------------

"No. I have relentless perseverance AND I just don't give a f***.
It was scheduled to end at 1am. They pushed back the time when it suited the people against me and ended it when it was going my way." (again.....this didn't happen)

Edited by Domo Arigato

10 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

He is still sending me emails.....which I am responding to.  (Edit:  skypinkblu.....feel free to delete this if you don't want it posted in here.....I'll take the hint after that).(thumbsu

Some excerpts:

------------------------------

"50 guys stood up for me today and THAT was more valuable and inspirational than 200 guys going up against me. The opposing army didn't even wait for the end of the battle. We were outnumbered 4 to 1 and they gave up cause we're that good."

-----------------------------

"I think ending the voting early casts reasonable doubt as to the validity."  (I explained to him the poll was hidden briefly to stop him from altering the results with his shill accounts)

-----------------------------------

"I totally expected this to happen at some point because of my relentless perseverance and other things that people don't like.
After it was extended, it was radically and abruptly stopped when the voting started going in my way."   (Again....I explained to him it was hidden because of the shills he was using.)

------------------------------------

"No. I have relentless perseverance AND I just don't give a f***.
It was scheduled to end at 1am. They pushed back the time when it suited the people against me and ended it when it was going my way." (again.....this didn't happen)

sigh, pretty dang sad.  Dylan, if you're reading this, do you really think more lying and manipulation will help?

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:

That might be possible.....although we were running into a few issues yesterday with editing the text in the first post (adding the final note) after the poll had ended.  It would not allow that to happen if the poll was closed.

However, I'm thinking it might allow the box to be checked to make the poll public after it ends. 

If it won't allow that after the poll ends, then perhaps the poll could be switched to public just prior to it ending.

I'll see if I can play around with that in the "testing" area to see what works.

That was weird for the closed poll to not allow the first post to be edited.  I am guessing that was due to the latest software change?  As far as changing the poll from private to public after the voting has closed, I guess that would be fine as long as it was disclosed to voters in the beginning.  A public poll would not discourage me from voting but, judging from past experience, it would bother some people.  

22 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

sigh, pretty dang sad.  Dylan, if you're reading this, do you really think more lying and manipulation will help?

You caught me before my edit/deletion. lol

The universe has spoken.....and it wants them to be read.:ohnoez:

40 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

That was weird for the closed poll to not allow the first post to be edited.  I am guessing that was due to the latest software change?  As far as changing the poll from private to public after the voting has closed, I guess that would be fine as long as it was disclosed to voters in the beginning.  A public poll would not discourage me from voting but, judging from past experience, it would bother some people.  

Yeah....it was definitely weird.  No additions could be made to the text of the first post if the poll was closed.  

And I agree.....it would need to be clear in the first post that voter identities would eventually be revealed. 

Although.....I'm not sure what the drawbacks would be if they were just public from the start of the poll.  That might at least allow people to see shill voting activity as soon as it starts and they could then alert the moderators.

Edited by Domo Arigato

2 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Not a chance.  He keeps popping off how he has relentless perseverance and never gives up.

He wants to be crazy?  I'll show him crazy.

Hope he likes wasting the next 10 years of his life replying to my emails.

Give ‘em hell then.  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

At the end of the nomination thread.

Thank you @Domo Arigato and @Polonsky for spear-heading this. I feel it’s long overdue. After reading, whatever that was (manifesto), there are absolutely bigger issues at play and the boards are a much better place as a result of the ban.  @Polonsky, I hope to see another sales thread soon!