• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 7/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, CAHokie said:

@CGC Mike  If one of the customers from the locked thread decided to do a Probation or HOS Nomination would that be allowed? 

Moderation doesn't get involved in probation discussions, unless posts violate the terms of use.  

@CGC Mike I wanted to clarify posting rules in sales threads in light of a recent post.

Under normal circumstances, when a new listing is created that shares the same images as that of a completed sale, it can be an indicator of a scammer selling books they don't own.  Under such circumstances, is it not the boards responsibility to try to protect others from potentially falling into a trap?  Furthermore, when it's revealed that a seller canceled a completed a sale and relisted it to make more money, that typically qualifies as a probation worthy offense.  Is the board in that case not allowed to point out shady business practices?

• Administrator
On 8/11/2023 at 1:01 PM, ExNihilo said:

@CGC Mike I wanted to clarify posting rules in sales threads in light of a recent post.

Under normal circumstances, when a new listing is created that shares the same images as that of a completed sale, it can be an indicator of a scammer selling books they don't own.  Under such circumstances, is it not the boards responsibility to try to protect others from potentially falling into a trap?  Furthermore, when it's revealed that a seller canceled a completed a sale and relisted it to make more money, that typically qualifies as a probation worthy offense.  Is the board in that case not allowed to point out shady business practices?

I agree that it is good to point out possible shady activity.  That is why I allowed some posts about this in the FS thread.  The for sale section is not the place to hold these discussions.  Especially AFTER I made my post in the thread.  There are multiple places including the general discussion thread in the selling only section where discussions can take place regarding this.  As far as your last question, yes you can.  Do it anywhere except the thread where I said stop.  

On 8/11/2023 at 1:50 PM, CGC Mike said:

I agree that it is good to point out possible shady activity.  That is why I allowed some posts about this in the FS thread.  The for sale section is not the place to hold these discussions.  Especially AFTER I made my post in the thread.  There are multiple places including the general discussion thread in the selling only section where discussions can take place regarding this.  As far as your last question, yes you can.  Do it anywhere except the thread where I said stop.  

Not about making this more complicated but to make things more secure.  Perhaps a forum rule could be discussed for inclusion that is common in the Facebook groups.   If I want to sell a toy in one of the Star Wars groups, I must put a post it or physical signage with my name and date in the overall image to allow other users to see that I have the item in hand.  I don't know if it is more trouble than it is worth especially when you have pages upon pages in a FS thread.

However, it works. 

It was from this very forum that an image of a Lego set that I had posted was lifted and the person claimed that it was their's for sale.  This and a few other instances like this led to the adoption of the post it rule in that Lego group.  The post in question at the time was over a boxed set from the 70's where specific images of the item matter to determine condition and completeness.  The person who created her FS ad quickly left the group. 

If not universal then maybe for 'newer' members. 

But people should be allowed to point out obvious fraudulent activity until the activity is stopped.  Debating a price is threadcrapping.  Pointing out possible fraudulent activity should never be. 

(And yes - to anyone asking about that atrocious rug, my project earlier this year was to redo the office.  I redid the floors myself in January and the furniture finally arrived in July.  All it took was making enough noise for people to get their act together after they lost the furniture on a truck or warehouse somewhere and they finally 'found' my order after six months.  I finally added a new rug.  But that is a story for the water cooler.)

605429986_ScreenShot2021-04-23at8_09.59AMcopy.thumb.png.a9e709d9a79c4c2e313835dd33059d25.png.9518cb9f8f6efdfe01e73b44aea7c553.png

IMG_6462.thumb.JPG.34f9681c1c909ad2ab5d7ad41fa18b0e.JPG

On 8/11/2023 at 9:59 PM, Buzzetta said:

(And yes - to anyone asking about that atrocious rug, my project earlier this year was to redo the office.  I redid the floors myself in January and the furniture finally arrived in July.  All it took was making enough noise for people to get their act together after they lost the furniture on a truck or warehouse somewhere and they finally 'found' my order after six months.  I finally added a new rug.  But that is a story for the water cooler.)

605429986_ScreenShot2021-04-23at8_09.59AMcopy.thumb.png.a9e709d9a79c4c2e313835dd33059d25.png.9518cb9f8f6efdfe01e73b44aea7c553.png

f645406f-1809-4a07-894b-650fd2124cb4_text.gif.a995987d7dd5eea0f9ae47c6813851b6.gif

On 8/11/2023 at 9:59 PM, Buzzetta said:

Not about making this more complicated but to make things more secure.  Perhaps a forum rule could be discussed for inclusion that is common in the Facebook groups.   If I want to sell a toy in one of the Star Wars groups, I must put a post it or physical signage with my name and date in the overall image to allow other users to see that I have the item in hand.  I don't know if it is more trouble than it is worth especially when you have pages upon pages in a FS thread.

However, it works. 

It was from this very forum that an image of a Lego set that I had posted was lifted and the person claimed that it was their's for sale.  This and a few other instances like this led to the adoption of the post it rule in that Lego group.  The post in question at the time was over a boxed set from the 70's where specific images of the item matter to determine condition and completeness.  The person who created her FS ad quickly left the group. 

If not universal then maybe for 'newer' members. 

But people should be allowed to point out obvious fraudulent activity until the activity is stopped.  Debating a price is threadcrapping.  Pointing out possible fraudulent activity should never be. 

The rug definitely ties the room together. 

On 3/12/2024 at 9:25 AM, SkOw said:

100% probation worthy. While not HOS worthy, what he did was break rules and screw you over. That’s why we have the list. 

As for getting off the list, he could follow through and sell you the book, obtain another copy and sell it to you at that price for a loss, or offer to do something else to get off the list. @catrick339 allowed a guy to get off the list for something similar by apologizing and donating in one of the charity threads. He could work with you to do SOMETHING.  Overall though I value protecting future collectors over this d bag’s ability to get off a list he deserves to be on. 

oh and @Buzzetta

Fair enough. The 30 day waiting period is obviously void since he confirmed that the book was sold elsewhere.

On 3/12/2024 at 9:26 AM, SkOw said:

@Ryan. if you start a thread I will be voting yes. 

+1