• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

i think : BUY ON THIS BOARD ONLY IF YOU CAN PAY IT RIGHT NOW , OTHERWISE PASS YOUR WAY

foreheadslap.gif

I disagree. As a seller I have no problem doing time payments or installments -- as long as it is discussed in advance of the person pulling the takeit.gif trigger.

In fact, if I'm selling a big ticket book I'd expect people to ask about time payments. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't want this to be a thread that makes people think that if they can't cough up the dough right away they'll end up in the public square stocks with people throwing tomatoes at them boo.gif As long as it's approved up front there should no problems with paying over time.

Communication is the key to any successful transaction.

But even with time payments...you do expect part of the payment to be paid right away don't you ?

Not necessarily. If somebody contacted me and said they were sincerely interested in a book or art but needed some time to come up with money, and they were someone with a good reputation, I wouldn't need a downpayment immediately.

But again, it depends on the situation and the buyer. If somebody pulled the trigger on something and then after the fact said they couldn't pay me for a month, well that's a problem. sumo.gif If they pulled the trigger and tried to string me along for weeks that would be a problem sumo.gif (and that's what this thread is for!)

But if somebody contacts me and says they can pay but they need time, and I say ok, then I it's all good. As long as they make payments when they say they will, I am willing to work it out to both parties' satisfaction.

The bottom line is that payment circumstances can be flexible, and things like delayed payments or installments should be worked out in advance.

I just don't think this thread should be a place where people try to imply that their own payment policies should be everyone's policies. confused-smiley-013.gif

If a seller only wants immediate payment, they should say so in their FS thread. I'll do the same with "Time Payments happily accepted if worked out in advance" thumbsup2.gif

i accept your pov Rhino, but when i was a kid, my parents taught me to buy when i had money in my pocket grin.gif, and i say it again maybe that's not you but i consider if a seller is posting books it's because he needs money to buy something else or whatever he wants , then immediate cash ,if you can accept time payment great for you thumbsup2.gif, but it's not the same for everybody here

problem for people here : is how can i do to be paid and not have problems with some forumites ?, i think (and i'm working in a bank, i know what i'm talking about), you've to be strict on your work with people, if you've never had any problems you're lucky, maybe someday you'll have in front of you a buyer who is always PMing you with (i will... next month...i swear) , and that's why people here are fed up with all that, i don't think its a pleasure for them to write names of forumites, you say it : " If they pulled the trigger and tried to string me along for weeks that would be a problem sumo.gif"

then i say it again to be satisfied for seller and buyer only one solution:

BUY ON THIS BOARD ONLY IF YOU CAN PAY IT RIGHT NOW , OTHERWISE PASS YOUR WAY

why can't we do a new forum "time payment books for sale" grin.gif , only joking Rhino, i've bought you books in the past and i swear i'll never ask for time payment for our next business wink.gif

Crypty poke2.gif

I'll play devil's advocate since i too work in a bank down under, What you say is a good point but working for the bank you should know that the banks also does time payments as well ie. mortgages etc etc. They just use the criteria of perusing the person to see their ability to repay the debt as well as whatever security they provide for the loan.

To use the same line with this, the security is really the book and it just comes down to how you check the bonafides of the person. Maybe this thread and a good payer thread could be used.

But as you said it comes down to each individual seller and how they wish to proceed. Maybe an idea would be to place a limit on those non-time payment transactions, like say a month, before the deal becomes null and void, allowing the seller to then offer it for sale. This may need a bit of reworking, but it would create a foundation from which everyone could work from.

I want to nominate myself. While not exactly appropriate since I've always paid for things promptly (via paypal), or somewhat promptly (via mailed payments), I have been working a trade deal with a fellow boardie since November (the 30th or so) of 2006. Since we couldn't come to an agreement, I've had his books for four months now and he's been nothing but a gentleman. Granted some of the time I was waiting for a response and he was too busy/trusting to make inquiries, it's still way too long in my opinion. I would hope that I would have half of the patience that he does. They are going to go out today or Monday though depending on the response of my offer for some freebie.

Time heals everything . . . grin.gif

Or money. devil.gif

I just love this part:

"I explained the situation to you that I was waiting for the check from ComicLink."

Talk about unclear on the concept. sumo.gif

I'm not taking sides here, but thought that i'd add a wee bit of information to this situation;

first - i think this thread is a fine idea and, I too, am happily surprised by the small number of names that have cropped up.

second - sounds like each member that has been mentioned deserves to be here for the reasons outlined.

third - regarding the "waiting for the check from Comiclink" comment; while I agree that one should only buy what they can currently afford unless other arrangements have been previously agreed upon, it is tue that Comiclink apparently made no payments for a period from approx 2/15 to 3/20..........

seems that Josh was on his Honeymoon and for some unexplained reason, the check issuing portion of the business shut down for approx 5 weeks..........they released an e-mail to affected customers to that effect.

i personally sent books in on 2/16 and didn't get paid until 3/26, so there is some validity to this story.............

seems that Josh was on his Honeymoon and for some unexplained reason, the check issuing portion of the business shut down for approx 5 weeks..........they released an e-mail to affected customers to that effect.

I guess Josh is the only one at CL with check signing authority. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i personally sent books in on 2/16 and didn't get paid until 3/26, so there is some validity to this story.............

It might be true, but it's still a poor excuse not to pay. If you're a buyer and waiting on payment for some books you sold, then pay me with Paypal using your credit card, which should buy you enough time to get paid before your credit card bill comes due. YOU should bear the risk of timely payment from ComicLink (or whoever you're selling through), not me.

Harry, where ya been?

Harry,

I told you I'd pay for those books . . . confused-smiley-013.gif Just as soon as Tim pays me, but he says he's waiting on Josh, who's on his honeymoon, and Jet Blue has left him stranded in Jamaica, and a hurricane is coming . . . wink.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

best,

David

devil.gif

4/2/07 PROBATION UPDATE

The following Forum Members are currently on "probation" for failure to complete a transaction in good faith after one month's time:

bronzejunkie

comicmankev

donavan74

IITravel

Herald2Galactus (1st "Hall of Shame" Member)

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

This is pretty sad, you can't expect everyone to hold thier end of the bargin cause they got your hopes up since you were looking to move a few books...there is no contract here like there is on eBay. Just a "virtual handshake" God forbid anyone changes thier mind...Walmart doesn't put you on probation from the store cause you didn't pick up what you had on hold at the layaway counter.

there is no contract here like there is on eBay

Ask any lawyer in the country and they can tell you how wrong you are. confused-smiley-013.gif

Perhaps. But having a contract and enforcing a contract are two different things...

Ask any lawyer in the country and they can tell you how wrong you are. confused-smiley-013.gif

Perhaps. But having a contract and enforcing a contract are two different things...

He didn't say anything about enforcement. The way I see it, if someone backs out on a valid contract, the least we can do is let other board members know that it happened. Why let deadbeats waste other people's time?

Even lawyers outside the country will tell him how wrong he is! 27_laughing.gif

having a contract and enforcing a contract are two different things...

He didn't say anything about enforcement. The way I see it, if someone backs out on a valid contract, the least we can do is let other board members know that it happened. Why let deadbeats waste other people's time?

893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gif

Harry,

I told you I'd pay for those books . . . confused-smiley-013.gif Just as soon as Tim pays me, but he says he's waiting on Josh, who's on his honeymoon, and Jet Blue has left him stranded in Jamaica, and a hurricane is coming . . . wink.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

best,

David

devil.gif

I gotta say, that's a sign-funnypost.gif

This is pretty sad, you can't expect everyone to hold thier end of the bargin cause they got your hopes up since you were looking to move a few books...there is no contract here like there is on eBay. Just a "virtual handshake" God forbid anyone changes thier mind...Walmart doesn't put you on probation from the store cause you didn't pick up what you had on hold at the layaway counter.

Which is why Wal-Mart doesn't have layaway anymore. yeahok.gif Now if you try to return an item without a receipt, then you get probation.

Walmart doesn't put you on probation from the store cause you didn't pick up what you had on hold at the layaway counter.

You know, if I could import cheap golden age comics in bulk from China, I might have more room to be flexible on the whole deadbeat thing.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

well, that's just ridiculous.

we're all ostensibly adults, here. and a community of collectors to boot, who hopefully can look out for one another to a wee higher degree than the morass on eBay.

if i decide to sell a book and someone cannot bring themselves to honor their commitment for whatever reason - and avoids dealing with me directly to resolve the issue - then there will be ramifications.

giving people carte blanche to be *spoon*s just because they "changed their mind" is just stupid

well, that's just ridiculous.

we're all ostensibly adults, here. and a community of collectors to boot, who hopefully can look out for one another to a wee higher degree than the morass on eBay.

if i decide to sell a book and someone cannot bring themselves to honor their commitment for whatever reason - and avoids dealing with me directly to resolve the issue - then there will be ramifications.

giving people carte blanche to be *spoon*s just because they "changed their mind" is just stupid

consider the source of the statement.... gossip.gifpopcorn.gif

Thank you for stimulating the conversation with your thoughts on the subject . . . devil.gif

p.s. once may be a typo, but twice means you really can't spell.