• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Report on Comicseekers Long Box

465 posts in this topic

Fair enough. Case closed for me. What we can all get from this thread is, Sergio is a Liar and a Cheat and for all intensive purposes a very bad speller...

Dear CGC Mods,

MLMEADE among other members has been slandering my name all over the boards! I sold long white boxes of Bronze Issues that I purchased from Adam "FILTER" and then sold them on these boards due to hardship.

I have never and would never deceive anyone on this board, please refer to my feedback. I sold 18 boxes on these boards of which I received positive Kudo's from other members.

I have been reading slandering comments from MLMEADE, MYNAMEISLEGION, POE.. which has started a lynching from other board members who have not purchased the books.

I have repeatedly asked the buyers who are unhappy with the purchase to post pictures of all the comics that they stated were "WATERDAMAGED" and they have NOT.

MLMEADE posted pictures of 10 comics which had string indentations due to distributor packing and 1 which did have water damage. I admit that I may have missed a handful of the 5000+ that I packed. I offered a $25 refund on the boxes to these members and they have refused. I have had heard from other sellers that buyers are known to take a handful of good comics and then return the rest of the box for a refund, which is the reason I will not offer a full refund on these boxes. Especially after many of the other buyers received the boxes and liked them and left positive kudo's.

This all started when the buyer POE sent me pm's telling me that he did not want a box of beaters, his expectations were much higher than I had listed these comics were. I clearly stated all comics were from the 1970's, all were VG - VF/NM and no more than 5 of the same issue PER BOX. I have clearly complied with my listing and I admit that maybe a handful may have gotten by me, which is the reason I offered the $25 refund per box.

Bottom line, this whole thread was started primarily to slander my name. I have stated the facts and requested photo's of the supposedly water damaged comics and of the entire contents of the box, of which they have not provided. MLMEADE just states that he will not list the photo's of the comics because the buyer is always right and of his long outstanding reputation.

I refuse to go on the thread any longer and be a punching bag. I hope that you read the entire thread and determine for yourself what should be done.

Sincerely,

Sergio

:popcorn:

-slym

Not trying to start another flame war....just telling it like it is...

As a seller, Sergio is cooked. Regardless of what he does.

He can own up to it and offer the 100% refeund. Most likely, he'll get the "benefit of the doubt" that everyone goes thru some rough times, etc.... Nobody is going to do biz with him (esp. on lots), but at least he tried to make good. So, he's not a total jerk.

Or, he can continue his current course and lose all respect in this small community (although this community has alot more weight/reach than you think).

....if you are so worried about slander to your reputation then maybe you should display some characteristics of a seller that displays aspects worthy of having a good reputation and give a full refund....you're not going to win this one by playing the victim bud,....

I'd still like to see photos of what other buyers got in their long boxes.

...there was enuff confirmation from members of good moral standing on these boards that there was mold/damage/odor on the books,...maybe not all of the boxes had damage, who knows,...but if even one did it should be accepted for a return,...

I'd still like to see photos of what other buyers got in their long boxes.

...there was enuff confirmation from members of good moral standing on these boards that there was mold/damage/odor on the books,...maybe not all of the boxes had damage, who knows,...but if even one did it should be accepted for a return,...

Maybe I am just a picture/visual kind of guy. Or maybe I am just curious of what was in those boxes.

I know the evidence weighs heavily in favor of the buyers, but I'd still like to know what they received.

Sergio has a selective memory, so here's a refresher form earlier in this thread:

Below is what Adam (Filter81) posted a couple days ago regarding these long boxes that Sergio purchased from him:

By the way, for anyone curious, these are how the books were described via PM prior to being sold by me. (Again, not posting to be a jerk or make anyone look bad, but my name was brought up a few times here and I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea)

Filter: Overall these would probably be considered low grade for bronze. Some books are wavy from water damage, but most aren't. (This statement was amended in a later PM after a second look revealed a larger number of water damaged books than it appeared at first glance which was discussed in detail prior to and again after the purchase.) There are some Gs/GVGs on the low end, and on the high end there are some Fs, VFs, and VF/NMs. So the grades range a lot but as a group they'd probably be considered lower grade bronze age. The boxes are a bit weird in the sense that some have pretty heavy multiples and others appear to have little or no multiples. I haven't gone through these much but I think there probably are a few issues that may have upwards of 30-40 copies. But this is not the case with all of them.

Comicseekers: anything worth anything in this collection..ex multiples of peter parker 1, if there are a lot of x-men and spiderman , Hulk , Capt America, Horror I'll probable take it

Filter: Honestly there's not a whole lot in terms of key issues. I think I saw some Vault of Evil 1s in pretty nice shape... some pretty beat up Werewolf by Night 1s. Some spideys. Not a lot of X-mens. I saw some 20 cent and 25 cent FFs, a good amount of horror titles, some Thors in nice shape, some Caps. Also a lot of weaker stuff like Ms Marvel, Devil Dinosaur, etc. I've left everything that arrived in the boxes there (I haven't removed anything for myself) but for the most part I think the boxes were already cherry-picked of the really good stuff before I even got them. The boxes are packed tight though. A couple of the boxes have some books that are bagged which probably brings the count down a little bit and some have some giant sized issues, but the unbagged boxes (which are most of them) I've counted as many as 350-360 books per box.

when we did the deal it was 20 boxes packed about 350-360 tight, with no heroes incs.except the case i threw in free as part of the deal. The 20 boxes were originally sold for $2000 ($100 a box.)

Facts:

Sergio Claims he culled 2-3 boxes of water damaged books.

Sergio claims the boxes he sold were as given to him by Adam.

Sergio removed/sold/cherry picked out most of the titles specifically mentioned in Adam's post.

Sergio Sold 18 long boxes that average about 315 comics per box, not 350-360. 45 x18= 810 comics held back, in addition to the few water damaged boxes.

Sergio sold 18 boxes for $150= $2700 minus shipping of about $18 a box nets $2375

Sergio paid Adam in installments by selling the cream off the top, so he doubles his money selling the dregs that he stretched out to 18 boxes.

Sergio, in his original sales thread :

purchased these from Adam "Filter" a while ago and will sell them for the same price I got them for.

I have 15 available for sale.

Each box contains at least 300 MARVEL/DC of nearly every title from that era. All from the 1970's.

There are multiples but I will guarantee not more of 5 of the same issue per box.

Conditions range from VG-VF/NM, mostly all unread but these are from a warehouse.

The price is $150 Shipped per box if you are in the US (That's .50 a comic. I will ship media with signature delivery confirmation.) Insurance is optional.

TAKE ALL 15 BOXES FOR $2100 SHIPPED

then:

found 3 more...............$150 EACH SHIPPED IN THE US

at least 300 to 350

Even at $1.00 a piece you can blow these out and double your money.

Those pics are of the first box I opened and randomly pulled, I know there are hulks, Ghosts, Team-up's, spidy

Sergio makes no mention of mold, smell, water damage, soiling, and somehow the went from "low grade bronze" according to Adam, to "mostly unread VG-VF/NM" according to Sergio. Amazing! They actually got better! Like water into wine or lead into gold!

The "filler" of Heroes Inc is all that even gets the number per box to 300 comics. Heroes Inc is not a Marvel/DC bronze title, nor are the 15 copies of the History of Electronics giveaway. That's a breach of contract right there, even if you give Sergio a pass on the deception of the variety and condition of the contents per box. If you exclude these non Marvel/DC books the range of condition also goes down to G-VG-FN.

All of these facts are documentable and irrefutable . No amount of repetition of partial truths in bold all caps can displace the truth. This is text book fraud. In this instance this is mail fraud since he used the US Postal Service to ship them, and Paypal to receive the funds, which is Wire Fraud.

WIRE FRAUD - 18 USC 1343, makes it a Federal crime or offense for anyone to use interstate wire communications facilities in carrying out a scheme to defraud.

MAIL FRAUD DEFINITION AND PUNISHMENT

Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 1341

Whoever

1) having devised, or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud,

or

2) for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan…

3) something of value or some item…and

4) places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter

5) any item to be delivered by interstate carrier

shall be fined …or imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both.

So. people of the internet, if you had been given Adam's description versus Sergio's, would you have bought any boxes and at that price?

Sergio, you have little choice but to arrive at a mutually agreed upon solution with each dissatisfied buyer, not a unilateral decision to award a $25 refund. Otherwise the situation will further disintegrate into paypal disputes, chargebacks, and calls to the LA County Office of the States Attorneys General regarding potential mail and wire fraud. I already have a lawyer on retainer, so filing won't cost me a dime.

In my case, you will refund my money in full immediately. Upon receiving said funds, I will return all goods to you shipped at my expense via the carrier of my choice. I make this public for the sake of others so that your attempt to divide and conquer customer dissatisfaction with your delusional repetitions that you met the terms of your sales agreement don't get swept under the rug.

but I'd still like to know what they received.

We know what they rec'd....Junk.

And, while I do feel the buyers should take some responsibility for thier lack of judgement (c'mon...do you really think you're going to hit the "mystery box jackpot" on these boards), the lots were totally mis-represented.

If the boxes had been filled as per the description, so be it (do you really think you're going to find 3-4 copies each of Hulk #141 or even PPTSSM #27, or one copy of GSX #1, or 2 copies of GL #88?). But they weren't per the description. Everyone got a bunch of water-logged trash.

If the boxes had been filled as per the description, so be it (do you really think you're going to find 3-4 copies each of Hulk #141 or even PPTSSM #27, or one copy of GSX #1, or 2 copies of GL #88?). But they weren't per the description. Everyone got a bunch of water-logged trash.

I know what you are saying. But I'd still like to see pics of that water-logged trash.

all were VG - VF/NM and no more than 5 of the same issue PER BOX. I have clearly complied with my listing and I admit that maybe a handful may have gotten by me, which is the reason I offered the $25 refund per box.

Seriously Sergio? Books with huge chunks missing VG condition really? Books warped from water and mildew? That's VG? If those are VG, I have a damp basement in my old house that have many of my original books from the 60's and 70's and they look in better condition then those, and I would call them fr/gd at best.

From what has been shown and what others have stated that is way more then a handful of books.

and picture from Meade an I have been posted in this thread. The only thing that's difficult to capture in a photo is the moldy smell.

Yes, Meade posted pictures. Great pics. But they only covered maybe 40 of the 300 books he received. Out of 15+ long boxes sold, I would still like to see more examples.

As some have stated, you can't ban someone from the boards for anything along these lines--or even something that would land you on the probation list. THAT list is run by the community and Divad sort of acts as it's caretaker--though it seems he's taken a member or two under his wing to further assist.

Regarding entrance on to the Probation List, it is traditionally held that either a seller or buyer fails to follow through with a transaction; however, this is not the only method used. If you refer back to Ghastly, he shipped some magazines quite negligent in his shipment of a box of magazines to another member and was voted on to the List (hence the "by group majority" listed next to his name).

The difference between a Hall of Shame member and a Probation List member seems to have to do with the extent and pervasiveness of the offense. Alleybat attempted a $4,000+ scam, and I believe the others were all multiple offenders from the Probation List. Probation listers can return to full standing (though perhaps tarnished in the eyes of some) whereas HoS listers are forever banned from buying and selling. The difference from this banning is that it is imposed by the community on behalf of the community--the mods and admins have nothing to do with this.

For my part, I will say that in the past two months, I had three transactions with Sergio--one as a seller (my Ghost Rider 1 and Avengers 1) and two as a buyer (first his ASM 129 and second his TMNT 1). All transactions went smoothly with perhaps the only snag was a slight delay in shipping on my part due to a busy schedule. It's my experience that if people are going to scam, they're consistent about it--and Sergio acted the way I would expect from both a buyer and seller in my dealings with him. I also realize, however, we all make mistakes and bad choices from time to time. I had the opportunity to make a nice deal about a year back, but the buyer brought it to my attention that I misgraded the book in question (and while the difference in grade wasn't that great, the price change was significantly different). Though it sucked, I made right on the deal and a friend at the same time.

If the community makes a decision to one way or the other, I'd only posit that we consider the posts made by those individuals directly involved and affected in this as opposed to falling in step. Just me though :foryou:

Sergio said in his sales thread:

"Each box contains at least 300 MARVEL/DC of nearly every title from that era. All from the 1970's."

um, even with that, I didn't expect a single book in there from such titles as Batman, X-Men, Tomb of Dracula, any keys, first appearances, anything that in grade would even guide more than $5. I expected a bunch of run of the mill stuff. I certainly didn't expect to get virtually ONLY Marvel Comics of mostly licensed properties like Conan, Kull, Star Wars, BattleStar , Red Sonja, etc. I didn't expect 100 non- Marvel or DC books in quantities greater than 5 per box to achieve the advertised number of 300-350 per box. I did not have stars in my eyes about this purchase, I simply expected it to be what he stated "Each box contains at least 300 MARVEL/DC of nearly every title from that era. All from the 1970's." and it wasn't. Lying by omission is still lying. Had he cut and pasted Adam's description of the boxes as they were described to him, I wouldn't have bought them. Sergio pulled a fast one, in his desperation to get $$$, he gambled that he'd get away with it and no one would squawk too loudly or publicly, with plenty of other potential marks to sell to. Obviously business, accounting, and basic math are not his strong suits, nor is customer service or honesty and integrity. If they were, his first priority would have been to insure that NO ONE would want to return these books for a refund. His ill gotten gains pale in comparison to the opportunity costs when weighed against lost future sales. :screwy:

I'm amazed he isn't slammed more not for misrepresenting the boxes but how Adam completely exposed he knowingly attempted to scam.

Sergio claimed he sent the boxes out exactly as he had received them from Adam.

Adam pointed out that this wasn't possible because everyone received boxes with the Heroes Inc comics in them. None of the boxes Adam sold him had any Heroe's Inc comics in them. He gave Sergio, for free, an entire case of that book.

So when Sergio claims he never opened the boxes and that he shipped them as he got them the whole world knows it isn't true. Everybody knows now that he opened the boxes, cherry picked them clean and then filled them back up with the Heroes Inc books and the water damaged books (a long box and a half worth that Adam also gave him for free) and then shipped them out.

Stone cold busted scamming. It isn't debatable.