• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Bullet, I am confused. If nobody turned over stones, then everybody who has something to hide would remain hidden , as they would like it. I for one would rather wade through all the posts, good and bad, ugly, and walk away more informed about my hobby. Then sit with my nose in a funny book and let the people making the most money in our hobby tell me what I should, and should not worry about.

Good point, Kenny. I can remember when we had a thread titled something like "How does jason Ewert do it?". There were a number of people who were impressed/curious/amazed at how J.E. just kept coming out with these stellar books. Eventually we all found out. thumbsup2.gif

Sure. And how many of us got stoned for suggesting Ewert was up to no good from the very beginning? tonofbricks.gif

Well, I know that a few guy here have been stoned for as long as I can remember. smirk.gif

I'm off the pot.... gossip.gif

You should get back on it! makepoint.gif

poke2.gif

Bullet, I am confused. If nobody turned over stones, then everybody who has something to hide would remain hidden , as they would like it. I for one would rather wade through all the posts, good and bad, ugly, and walk away more informed about my hobby. Then sit with my nose in a funny book and let the people making the most money in our hobby tell me what I should, and should not worry about.

Good point, Kenny. I can remember when we had a thread titled something like "How does jason Ewert do it?". There were a number of people who were impressed/curious/amazed at how J.E. just kept coming out with these stellar books. Eventually we all found out. thumbsup2.gif

Sure. And how many of us got stoned for suggesting Ewert was up to no good from the very beginning? tonofbricks.gif

The point exactly: If not for a few people bringing it up................... thumbsup2.gif

I would like to apologize to the originator of this thread & those reading it for my involvement in the above derailment.

I'll shut up now. angel.gif

Did you just light up and ponder life for a sec?

cool.gif

Ze-

And yes back On Topic, what was it again Spicoli?

You think you're being clever, but you're not. I couldn't care less what you think, and have no interest at all in wasting my time with you.

you talking to me? insane.gif

Believe it or not, I have received a suggestion from a concerned reader who would like for me to restart this thread. Reason being: any further information presented will be buried within an ongoing debate of conflicting personalities.

I would rather not re-start as I would like to keep the information in one location to facilitate referencing and reusability. I'm sure there are many here that feel the same way.

So, may I humbly ask one thing...

Please police your posts and delete those that are off-topic.

I will start by deleting this within the hour and post another treatment example.

Many thanks!

--Mitch

Believe it or not, I have received a suggestion from a concerned reader who would like for me to restart this thread. Reason being: any further information presented will be buried within an ongoing debate of conflicting personalities.

I would rather not re-start as I would like to keep the information in one location to facilitate referencing and reusability. I'm sure there are many here that feel the same way.

So, may I humbly ask one thing...

Please police your posts and delete those that are off-topic.

I will start by deleting this within the hour and post another treatment example.

Many thanks!

--Mitch

With all due respect, I wouldn't suggest anyone delete their posts. This will happen to every thread, no matter the instructions placed therein. The discussion itself within this thread is of value for people to read. I say leave it be, and just recreate your specific information in another thread. And just keep repeating the process.

Chief, you are correct in wanting to keep your posts in one place since they of a specific nature. And in a very kindly way rapping our collective knuckles with a ruler.

I think if you asked Arch he would relocate all your original posts, and any other ones you would like to move to a new thread if you make one.

Just send Arch a PM about this, I am sure it is something he can easily do given the nature of your original post.

Ze-

This next case is pretty interesting in and of itself. Not because the issue is currently ranked #32 on Overstreet's list of most valuable Golden Age books, but rather for the reason that it presents some interesting points of study between the graded versions.

All Winners Comics #1

Described as a "dazzling copy" in its March 6, 2003 auction debut, this CGC graded 8.5 Golden Age key sported a clearly identifiable dust shadow along its left front-cover edge.

Appearing again seven months later, the 1941 Timely was re-graded as a 9.2 and branded with a description befitting its newly certified grade. With special emphasis on its census topping position, the copy achieved a purchase price 180% greater than its original close. The clarity and depth of the dust shadow was somehow minimized.

The 9.2 version of All Winners Comics #1 is currently raked number two on the CGC census. It was eclipsed by the 9.6 Chicago Pedigree copy on March 4, 2005. The original 8.5 copy is no longer searchable in the Collectors' Society certification database.

In my opinion this piece has been cleaned and pressed.

Perhaps the cleaning was by dry technique with specific attention to the oxidation shadow and the soiled areas of the spine and lower-rear cover. It is interesting to note the marked change in the consistency of the shadow within the yellow region above the cape. In contrast, there is little, if any, change to the red cape and yellow portion directly beneath it. The area below Sub-Mariner's arm remains unchanged.

The mitigation of spine creases and the slight staple movement may provide visual clues to pressing. In addition, the realignment of the cover wrap, evident in the lower-left corner of the back cover, suggests this type of treatment. Weather the book was pressed intact or disassembled is debatable.

Certification/Resale Provenance:

awc_1_performance.gif" alt="All Winners Comics #1 Performance

Resource Links:

All Winners Comics #1 (8.5)

All Winners Comics #1 (9.2)

awc_1_front.jpg" alt="All Winners Comics #1 (8.5) & (9.2) Front Cover Comparison

awc_1_back.jpg" alt="All Winners Comics #1 (8.5) & (9.2) Back Cover Comparison

awc_1_edgecomparison.jpg" alt="All Winners Comics #1 (8.5) & (9.2) Edge Comparison

Was color-touch missed? Look at the 10cent price circle. There is a break in the circle in the 1st scan....but none in the second.

I would bet that this is a scanning artifact or a tiny piece of dust on the "before" scan.

If that was a tiny color break, fixing it probably wouldn't even make a difference in grade. The "reward" to fixing it is heavily outweighed by the risk in this case.