• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you collect?

78 posts in this topic

Ever try explaining comic collecting to a date? I did once, and had to fix the situation quick so I started talking about bench presses.

Yeah, for some reason women don't exactly get pumped over comic books ... except for Joanna, Joanna is cool.

Phil

My ex thought it was cool, but that was after I showed her the kind of money that's involved.

There's a really bad stereotype attached. Once, after telling a girl I collected old comics, she said:

"You don't look like you collect comics"

I said,

"what does that mean?"

She said,

"isn't that for old guys and losers?"

The topic was then permanently dropped. Granted she wasn't very bright, but she was very hot! What else could I do?

I have this rule..don't tell a girl you even KNOW about comic books until you're married or at the very least engaged.

On rare occasion it is OK to tell them earlier. In my case for example. As soon as women see me they feel pity. I have learned to take advantage of that pity by making my interests seem totally pathetic. This encourages them to feel even MORE pity. Once I have enough pity from them I make my move, this results in nearly a 1% success rate. 1% is like a total windfall for someone with a face like mine. smile.gif

Phil

Wow, I bet the way you push them over the top is by telling them you take coins and put them in cases not to be used but to be looked at as a coin collector..now if you tell them you're a stamp collector..then you've gone too far..

Brian

I have this rule..don't tell a girl you even KNOW about comic books until you're married or at the very least engaged.

I introduced my ex-wife to my comic collection while we were dating, emphasizing that I had never got a chance to finish my Star Wars run and lacked about 30 issues.

Next thing I know, she found the nearest comic store and drove me down there to help me find those issues.

My current girlfreind collects art glass and antique furniture, and she used to work as an antique dealer, so it wasn't actually that much of a leap to tell her about comics. Then again, any girl that saw my apartment at that point knew something was up- I had original comic art, signed prints and movie posters all over the place (I still do- it's just that I've moved in with this one, so there are no more surprises.)

In high school I had no problem telling girls I collected (and sold) comics. They all wondered why I had money and the other guys didn't tongue.gif

Then again, any girl that saw my apartment at that point knew something was up

Oh good Heavens. When I was single any woman who saw my place ran out the door screaming. And not because of any art either. I was like Oscar Madison. My sisters would come over occasionally and clean my house, just because they couldn't stand it any more. The only good that came out of it was that there were four new life forms discovered in my refrigerator, and Kitchen sink during that time. I am hopeful that one day, one of them may help cure cancer. smile.gif

They all wondered why I had money and the other guys didn't

I was one of the ones who didn't have money. I was also disgustingly unattractive, so I doubt money would have mattered. Fact is, if I were a woman I would be disgusted by me.

Phil

Telling them what I REALLY do for a living might be even worse. I fix computers.

Cool, we both have a facination with all the parts that fit so neatly (I'm neat with the wires for air circulation purposes) in the towers that make these multimedia machines run. I put together my first PC a couple of years ago, and I just recently did a major upgrade. I'm so geeky about it that I have a subscription and read PC Magazine. I tried Maximum PC, but I found it to be lacking in depth of information, especially when it comes to testing and compatibility. Anway, the motherboard that I am using right now is an Asus A7V333 motherboard w/onboard Promise RAID controller, an AMD 2000+ Gig processor, 256 MB DDR RAM, a Geforce 4 Ti200 graphics card, a Hercules Game Theater XP sound card, Maxtor 60 Gig 7,200 RMP with ATA 133 hard drive, Pioneer DVD drive, Plextor CD-RW drive, and of course an out of date floppy drive. I have quite a few external devices too!

I'm so geeky about it that I have a subscription and read PC Magazine. I tried Maximum PC, but I found it to be lacking in depth of information, especially when it comes to testing and compatibility.

I get PC magazine too. Wired is a good one as well, but the best one I found, I have been unable to find in a couple years. I had a one year subscription to a Magazine called PC Upgrade. It was fantastic, the whole magazine was dedicated to revving it up. I try to keep all the toys, but I don't really upgrade mine all that often. In fact I haven't done any major upgrading in a while. I am currently running

Asus a7a266 M/B, Maxtor 7200 RPM 40GB and 30GB HDD's , HP 10X4X32 CDRW, 50X CDROM, Logitech wireless Kybd, Logitech wireless wheelmouse, Logitech Z-560 THX speaker system, Philips 15" flat panel, AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz, 1 GB DDR PC2100, HP scanner, HP printer, Smart Media card reader, FujiFilm Digital Cam, Logitech WingMan Force 3D Joystick, Logitech wireless RumblePad, and probably some more stuff I am not thinking of. I should upgrade, but I really want to get a DVD burner first.

Phil

As soon as women see me they feel pity. I have learned to take advantage of that pity by making my interests seem totally pathetic. This encourages them to feel even MORE pity

Explaining your partial penchant for shiny round objects may have worked this pathetic angle more than divulging your funnybook addiction smile.gif