• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,060 posts in this topic

I've been looking for a nice affordable SC 22 for years....long before the movie hype started.

I thought the highest graded copy was a 9.0 that went for $20 grand awhile back on C-Link or HA.

M. Wilson (dizneyart) sold a very nice FN 6.0 Universal on ebay recently for $3.5k. It had OW/W pages a rarity for this issue and had blazing colors front and back.

I bid $3 grand and thought I won it !!!

boy seeing all this SHOWCASE 22 enthusiasm is making me wish I went after the 9.2 last year! THIS and the movie hype, that is.

The 9.2 is a beaut but I doubt we will see a scan in this thread. I also wonder if a 9.4 will ever surface.

Well, I'm not getting too excited just yet but I've just won a low grade copy off Ebay :eek:

I was actually watching that one! Please, let us know how it turns out when you get it in hand. :foryou:

Good luck! (thumbs u

Lots of DC's from the late 50s to early 60s are difficult to find even in midgrade. (shrug) Lower print runs would be my guess.

And less paperquality.......

Is that true? I've heard paper conservators say that DC's paper was better than Marvel's in that era. Were Marvels just whiter?

Lots of DC's from the late 50s to early 60s are difficult to find even in midgrade. (shrug) Lower print runs would be my guess.

And less paperquality.......

Is that true? I've heard paper conservators say that DC's paper was better than Marvel's in that era. Were Marvels just whiter?

3725850537_17b1b6151c_o.jpg

Not High Grade but at least it gets me in the club. Early GL was a teenage scifi fans delight. It will make an interesting movie and at least a visual delight.

According to my experience, Charlton had the cheapest paper by far, Marvel was next and DC was slightly better paper but Gold Key had the best paper. I collected all four companies and stored all of the comics under the same conditions. Harvey was about the same as DC. This is based on comics bought at the drug store in the sixties and stored in my attic for twenty years before they were bagged and boarded.

Why is this book so hard to find?

I also think that part of the problem is that GL was a not a first tier character for so long that collectors did not pay much attention to SC #22. Outside of the fantastic O'Neill/Adams run in the early 70s, the character languished until the outstanding current run by Geoff Johns and the movie announcement. Add lower desirability for a long time to a lower print run to start with, and you have a key book that a lot of collectors did not really pay attention to and preserve.

I have been looking for a nice copy for several years now, but did not make it a top priority until now even though I am a GL fanboy. My attitude was that it would always be an "affordable" key due to low/moderate demand so there was no hurry to get one. Great assumption on my part. doh!

Edited by kimik

Why is this book so hard to find?

I also think that part of the problem is that GL was a not a first tier character for so long that collectors did not pay much attention to SC #22. Outside of the fantastic O'Neill/Adams run in the early 70s, the character languished until the outstanding current run by Geoff Johns and the movie announcement. Add lower desirability for a long time to a lower print run to start with, and you have a key book that a lot of collectors did not really pay attention to and preserve.

I have been looking for a nice copy for several years now, but did not make it a top priority until now even though I am a GL fanboy. My attitude was that it would always be an "affordable" key due to low/moderate demand so there was no hurry to get one. Great assumption on my part. doh!

I got a great deal on SC 22 and 24 at a convention in the late 80's .. but then I pulled the boneheaded move of trading the 24 to the LCS for store credit to pick up my pull list.

doh!

I still don't have a 23 or 24, but my 22 is going nowhere :sumo:

Well, I'm not getting too excited just yet but I've just won a low grade copy off Ebay :eek:

I was actually watching that one! Please, let us know how it turns out when you get it in hand. :foryou:

Good luck! (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Going by the description I'm not expecting much but it was just good to have an affordable SA key from DC. I completed a full Marvel SA collection a few years ago so it's the DC stuff that now generates the collecting bug.

I haven't been that excited by an Ebay bid for a while - quite sad really lol

Take a look at this!

Linky

That is a sweet copy of SC #22. Looking at the damage on the front and back cover (looks like there is a chip out of the tip of the top left corner on the back), I would put it in the 6.0 range provided there are no other spots/stains (there is one in the L in "Lantern").

Edited by kimik

Take a look at this!

Linky

That is a sweet copy of SC #22. Looking at the damage on the front and back cover (looks like there is a chip out of the tip of the top left corner on the back), I would put it in the 6.0 range provided there are no other spots/stains (there is one in the L in "Lantern").

I'm confused. If you're looking at the same #22 that I'm looking at, it's > 6.0 !!!

Take a look at this!

Linky

I'm confused. If you're looking at the same #22 that I'm looking at, it's > 6.0 !!!

Don't get me wrong - structurally it is a very sweet book. However, the corner chip should drop it to an 8.0/8.5 to start with. Add in the spine wear, small stain (which CGC is hammering right now, along with dust shadows, as I have recently had the displeasure of finding out :tonofbricks: ) and taking the fact that a scan will not show NCB bends/light creases it looks like a 6.0/6.5 range book to me.

Take a look at this!

Linky

Don't get me wrong - structurally it is a very sweet book but I would say 6.0, maybe 6.5, when you take the defects into account. Here is what I notice in the scan (remember, it does not show NCB bends/creases):

- the corner chip on the back cover should drop it to an 8.0/8.5 to start with.

- small chip middle of top edge back cover

- a few tiny edge tears/nicks along top of back cover (?)

- looks like there is also an edge bend along the left side of the top edge on the back cover (next to the chip)

- light soiling and possible perimeter tanning on the back cover

- multiple spine creases

- light corner crease top right front cover

- appears to be a light impact ding and bend bottom left corner/bottom of spine.

- small stain in L of title (which CGC is hammering right now, along with dust shadows)

- I am also considering the fact that the scans will not show NCB bends/light creases that could be on the book as well.

Since it is a big key, I guess it could be get a bump depending on how CGC feels that day (this would be a given if it were a Marvel), but I would give it a 6.0, maybe 6.5, based on what I can see.

Edited by kimik