• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VALPARAISO SPIDEY 55 9.8................SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

272 posts in this topic

Just to add fuel to the fire, I pulled out my trusty Overstreet Grading Guide. Under "Cover Creases" it states quite clearly "NONE ALLOWED" in 9.8 and above. Now I realize that CGC does not state their grading standards, but let's not throw overstreet into this when the grading guide clearly states that cover creases are not allowed. I also looked at all examples that they had and NONE of them had spine creases of any kind.

Point of order....when Overstreet is talking about cover creases, they do NOT mean spine stress/creases.

How do you know exactly? Just curious. And if that's the case, why do NONE of the examples of a 9.8 have any spine tics?

By definition. Implicit if not explicit. OGG notes cover creases and spine creases as different things (which they are.)

A cover crease is an alteration/disturbance in the paper's structure anywhere on the cover, except on the spine, caused by pressure/stress. It generally takes the form of a line, rather than a square or circular area (which would be "dents" or other types of damage.)

A spine crease/stress mark is the same thing, but specifically on the spine, and caused by pressure/stress on the spine alone.

Spine creases/stress marks are the most common damage for comics to exhibit, so there's a reason for the designation to be specific.

Personally, I think a crease is one that breaks color, as opposed to a fold/bend which does not, but others may vary. The important thing is, there's a clear separation between the concept of a "cover crease" which is NOT at the spine (but may be close), and a spine crease/stress mark, which is a very specific type of damage.

(:

I'm not as edumacated or as elokuent as most.

(thumbs u

the most aren't as much as they want you to think they are. lol

and there are some plain talking folks wandering these halls chock full of wisdom.

I must affirm, I have absolutely no cognition of the proposition you are postulating, my good man!

(:

I'm not as edumacated or as elokuent as most.

(thumbs u

the most aren't as much as they want you to think they are. lol

and there are some plain talking folks wandering these halls chock full of wisdom.

I must affirm, I have absolutely no cognition of the proposition you are postulating, my good man!

I say, bully! Bully!

:( that was as much fun as I've ever had on CGC.

edit- disregard. I thought this was the back and forth between Roy, Sean, COI, RMA and my party crashing self. and that it got deleted.

:( that was as much fun as I've ever had on CGC.

edit- disregard. I thought this was the back and forth between Roy, Sean, COI, RMA and my party crashing self. and that it got deleted.

Sometimes I get lost in threads, too, and can't find what I just saw two minutes ago.... ;)

I get all uppity, thinking it's been deleted....then find it in the actual thread it belongs to....

lol

Wow and interesting that a NM/M Amazing Spider-man #55 is worth more than a vg copy of AF 15 hm Any thoughts?

Yes, AF #15s are over rated.

Currently over-priced, but over-rated? If the 1st appearance of Spidey is over-rated......what does that say about ASM 55? ???

Wow and interesting that a NM/M Amazing Spider-man #55 is worth more than a vg copy of AF 15 hm Any thoughts?

Currently over-priced, but over-rated? If the 1st appearance of Spidey is over-rated......what does that say about ASM 55? ???

We're talking a VG AF #15 vs. a CGC 9.8 ASM #55. There's no contest.

A non-key ASM is more of a key than any non-ASM key.