• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,764 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2022 at 2:21 AM, namisgr said:

DD92.thumb.jpg.9fa14aa1d1434385b9cb7f28111e0fce.jpg

It's always kind of fun (and disappointing) to see a cover with alterations by somebody other than the original artist. That's a Romita head on the Blue Talon pasted over Gene Colan's work. I wonder if it was Stan making the calls on those decisions?

Edited by Ghost Town

On 7/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, Ghost Town said:

It's always kind of fun (and disappointing) to see a cover with alterations by somebody other than the original artist. That's a Romita head on the Blue Talon pasted over Gene Colan's work. I wonder if it was Stan making the calls on those decisions?

Interesting to learn about.  Either Stan or the art director at the time, I guess.

I was completely wrong in my thoughts on the cover art, and could swear that the layout and the Blue Talon's face were the work of Gil Kane.

Edited by namisgr

On 7/28/2022 at 3:18 PM, namisgr said:
On 7/28/2022 at 3:13 PM, Ghost Town said:

Interesting to learn about.  Either Stan or the art director at the time, I guess.

I was completely wrong in my thoughts on the cover art, and could swear that the layout and the Blue Talon's face were the work of Gil Kane.

You're not alone on that. The Grand Comics database says they thought it Kane too, but then they made a correction: https://www.comics.org/issue/25540/

I believe Romita was in charge of those decisions at the time. I know he altered a few of Starlin’s covers

On 7/28/2022 at 6:26 PM, Ghost Town said:

You're not alone on that. The Grand Comics database says they thought it Kane too, but then they made a correction: https://www.comics.org/issue/25540/

Looking at DD and the Blue Talon, it appears classic Kane to me.  DDs head position for the up-the-nose view, the calves, Talon's facial features.  Looks nothing like Romita or Colan to me.

Edited by namisgr

On 7/28/2022 at 7:02 PM, namisgr said:

Looking at DD and the Blue Talon, it appears classic Kane to me.  DDs head position for the up-the-nose view, the calves, Talon's facial features.  Looks nothing like Romita or Colan to me.

Agree from a layout standpoint, but the details are all Colan.  The shape of Kane's noses on all those nostril upshots is very distinctive, and that ain't it.

image.thumb.jpeg.87fc010b6bdc3360af7b666c0449de2c.jpeg

2.  The December, 1972 cover date includes this Marvel superhero comic, the only one not to have a picture frame cover.  Once again, it's likely that Defenders was a title scheduled for release at the end of each monthly cycle, and for whatever reason this issue came out so late that it previewed the switch from the picture frame design that preceded it for the divided cover design that followed on most Marvels for a few months thereafter, with the cover title and art given their own separate boxes.

Defenders3.thumb.jpg.f92606aba4705bfbb1a050e7b8fd8f9f.jpg

Edited by namisgr

On 8/2/2022 at 4:39 AM, namisgr said:

2.  The December, 1972 cover date includes this Marvel superhero comic, the only one not to have a picture frame cover.  Once again, it's likely that Defenders was a title scheduled for release at the beginning of each monthly cycle, and for whatever reason this issue came out so early that it previewed the switch from the picture frame design that preceded it for the divided cover design that followed on most Marvels for a few months thereafter, with the cover title and art given their own separate boxes.

Defenders3.thumb.jpg.f92606aba4705bfbb1a050e7b8fd8f9f.jpg

It would have been a very sweet Picture Frame. 

On 7/28/2022 at 6:40 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I believe Romita was in charge of those decisions at the time. I know he altered a few of Starlin’s covers

Yeah pretty sure he was art director at the time. I vaguely recall reading about Stan having Romita redraw Cap America face on at least one occasion. Maybe an Avengers issue I don't know (shrug)...but definitely involving Cap. I wish I could remember the details, but it had to do with Stan hating the way the face looked to the point of demanding a redraw. That DD cover pretty much screams Kane except for that Talon face apparently. 

Edited by MGsimba77