• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

Anyone here still get responses from Craigslist wanted ads? I still post them regularly, mostly out of habit, and might get 1 response every couple of months with some modern drek for sale. A few years ago I was getting 3-5 responses per day. Just wondering if I am just wasting my time continuing to post on CL lol 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:26 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

Anyone here still get responses from Craigslist wanted ads? I still post them regularly, mostly out of habit, and might get 1 response every couple of months with some modern drek for sale. A few years ago I was getting 3-5 responses per day. Just wondering if I am just wasting my time continuing to post on CL lol 

I get a response a month. Usually someone with like 12 beat up books from the 90's.  Got one yesterday...guy had 8 books, ASM 99, a couple bronze house of secrets and some Archie's, all low grade. Easy pass.  

On 1/20/2022 at 9:26 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

Virtually never. 

I've noticed a precipitous drop in new items posted in the last few months too. 

Honestly, FB has throttled CL.  Wish it hadn't, but is what it is. 

Patrick 

On 1/18/2022 at 7:31 PM, Beige said:

More stuff.

4 Maus books

heaps of TPB's

Some Comics

Nice Jessica Jones #1 - got to say the Halo slabs have improved out of sight - seriously heavy and tough. Impressed.

$200 for the lot.

132075275_image0(41).jpeg.f071e043093e473d7acf21cc2cfb69ee.jpeg

And it seems they got the inner well design figured out, if only CGC would...So many books would be saved

On 1/19/2022 at 3:50 PM, Robot Man said:

It still happens. Antique mall find today. Was the only comic there. Was sitting naked on the top of a pile of old Life magazines…:banana:

7FB3D4EF-1966-4A93-80BA-69A927E3832E.jpeg

I was inspired by this post and stopped by an out of the way antique mall on the way to collect my wine club selection. Bupkis.  But I’m not discouraged!

On 1/21/2022 at 3:26 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

It a common theme.

I used to get replies to my 'wanted to buy' ads on a weekly basis that led to solid collections of comics. 3 or 4 times a year to some seriously good buys.

The last 12 months are a completely different beast.

This is my hobby - I buy books out of $$ I make from selling bulk collections - not a single cent comes out of my salary.

So to carry on I'm having to adapt.

Leads that I would have normally replied - "Thanks for reaching out, but I'm okay for those books at the moment, I'm sure you will sell them soon" are now having to be followed up out of necessity.

So I'm buying either:

Lots of Trade Paperbacks and Graphic Novels

Collections of stuff that sell, but very very slowly - High Number Phantoms, Pulps etc

Really high $$$ stuff, that a lot of people in these unsettled times don't have access to ready cash - and I can only play that game if I have sold a lot of stuff and saved up a 'warchest'

Now those $$$ level collections aren't being offered up anymore - I passed on an $18K collection of slabs about 16 months ago as I thought it was too high a price - now I'd bite his hand off.

So I'm left, just like most of you, with having to turn over stuff that has the same profit margin, but much lesser value.

I can't see it changing in the near future as people just won't sell.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:10 PM, Beige said:

It a common theme.

I used to get replies to my 'wanted to buy' ads on a weekly basis that led to solid collections of comics. 3 or 4 times a year to some seriously good buys.

The last 12 months are a completely different beast.

This is my hobby - I buy books out of $$ I make from selling bulk collections - not a single cent comes out of my salary.

So to carry on I'm having to adapt.

Leads that I would have normally replied - "Thanks for reaching out, but I'm okay for those books at the moment, I'm sure you will sell them soon" are now having to be followed up out of necessity.

So I'm buying either:

Lots of Trade Paperbacks and Graphic Novels

Collections of stuff that sell, but very very slowly - High Number Phantoms, Pulps etc

Really high $$$ stuff, that a lot of people in these unsettled times don't have access to ready cash - and I can only play that game if I have sold a lot of stuff and saved up a 'warchest'

Now those $$$ level collections aren't being offered up anymore - I passed on an $18K collection of slabs about 16 months ago as I thought it was too high a price - now I'd bite his hand off.

So I'm left, just like most of you, with having to turn over stuff that has the same profit margin, but much lesser value.

I can't see it changing in the near future as people just won't sell.

Glad to hear it's not just me. I used to post wanted ads on FB as well and received tons of replies but FB changed their group post algorithms and those ads don't get eyes on them anymore either. And something about FB brings out the even crazier people than Craigslist when you pass on their stuff. I think my collection buying days are behind me.

On 1/22/2022 at 11:13 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

Glad to hear it's not just me. I used to post wanted ads on FB as well and received tons of replies but FB changed their group post algorithms and those ads don't get eyes on them anymore either. And something about FB brings out the even crazier people than Craigslist when you pass on their stuff. I think my collection buying days are behind me.

I refuse to go near Facebook period.

Too many wannabees causing too many headaches - just not worth the hassle on there.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:13 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

Craigslist

CL has been dry the past couple years since everything went crazy. Regularly I could find and buy amazing collections for cheap. Those just aren’t being posted anymore. I would usually be the first to see and the first to buy. Once every 4-5 months there’s something really good but is already sold by the time I get a reply back

On 1/23/2022 at 3:30 PM, 1Cool said:

Another trip out to the antique mall yesterday and it appears I’m getting close to finally getting the collection.  I did end up talking them into a nice couple long box deal that they passed on last year.  Fingers are crossed I’ll be able to buy the last of the books in the next couple months.

BC7F4DD3-E787-4824-98EE-DB40EEFE7327.jpeg

Did you know they had books there? Everytime i go i never see anything

On 1/23/2022 at 5:36 PM, 1Cool said:

The other long box was basically 200 copies of X-Factor 1 and a stack of X-Force 2 and a stack of X-Men 150s.  I decided to skip over a long box of X-Men 150 and X-Men Annual 5 and went with the X-Factor 1 since it seems to be heating up a bit.

BD37DCCC-9941-410C-AC49-AADD29A48B7F.jpeg

I'm sure there is value here, but with a very large quantity bulk buy, where do you as the buyer walk away?  How are you going to eventually sell all these copies, or will you be doing a neatstuff collectibles sale - bulk a huge chunk of them out as a lot.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:28 PM, littledoom said:

CL has been dry the past couple years since everything went crazy. Regularly I could find and buy amazing collections for cheap. Those just aren’t being posted anymore. I would usually be the first to see and the first to buy. Once every 4-5 months there’s something really good but is already sold by the time I get a reply back

This.  I don't think the supply has diminished, but the number of buyers/flippers has exploded in the past 5 years.....8-10 years ago, there were very few real people I needed to worry about competing with.  Today, that still stands true on higher dollar stuff (as the new guys/flippers are generally less capitalized or less likely to pay for higher-dollar collections), but the more affordable stuff goes quick.  And for the guys that only flip one or two books, anything can be fair game....

On 1/24/2022 at 8:33 AM, spreads said:

I'm sure there is value here, but with a very large quantity bulk buy, where do you as the buyer walk away?  How are you going to eventually sell all these copies, or will you be doing a neatstuff collectibles sale - bulk a huge chunk of them out as a lot.

It really depends on how much I spent on them and how much room I have in the shelves.  Last year was a very good year so I cleared out some space so I'm cool with putting the X-Factor 1s in new bags/boards and selling them off a handful a month.  The long box of Avengers Annual 10s I got from the same guy was much more expensive so I sold off the worst 100 to a dealer in CA for about what I spent on the long box since I wanted to get back my money since it was a couple thousand dollars.  The rest are sitting in storage and I sell off couple here or there - I don't see a need to be in a hurry at this point.  The X-Factor 1s were about $1 a piece so I'm not too worried about sitting on the $200 in inventory and seeing if something causes it to further spike.  I do have to say your thought process has impacted my offer for the entire collection since what am I going to do with 100 copies of Rom 24 or 200 copies of X-Men Annual 5?  There does come a time when the books have to be basically free even though the books are not complete drek since there is just too many of them to sell anyway quickly.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:09 AM, littledoom said:

I went garage saling early Saturday  morning. I picked up some “mega” Marvel silver age keys. (Posted in SA). After that I hit up a couple shops in the area. While picking up some hot Moon Knight books two brothers brought in their recently deceased father’s collection. Long story short I waited for them outside after paying for my books. They passed on the $250 offer from the store employee. I offered $300 but one of the brothers was very adamant it’s either $350 or they’ll keep em. We bonded over both having lost our fathers, so I paid them the money. These are the highlights that also came with a few oddities 

53C3E140-5F3F-400C-8151-C581B95E2862.thumb.jpeg.6ad4dc7b52197e6f8ae7bfb34df2dfae.jpeg

51390E89-7575-471E-9F27-B4EC31153BAB.thumb.jpeg.729e3419cfb44ba3e5a3402e0d2ecb40.jpeg

and the hits just keep on coming :) 

On 1/24/2022 at 10:09 AM, littledoom said:

I went garage saling early Saturday  morning. I picked up some “mega” Marvel silver age keys. (Posted in SA). After that I hit up a couple shops in the area. While picking up some hot Moon Knight books two brothers brought in their recently deceased father’s collection. Long story short I waited for them outside after paying for my books. They passed on the $250 offer from the store employee. I offered $300 but one of the brothers was very adamant it’s either $350 or they’ll keep em. We bonded over both having lost our fathers, so I paid them the money. These are the highlights that also came with a few oddities 

53C3E140-5F3F-400C-8151-C581B95E2862.thumb.jpeg.6ad4dc7b52197e6f8ae7bfb34df2dfae.jpeg

51390E89-7575-471E-9F27-B4EC31153BAB.thumb.jpeg.729e3419cfb44ba3e5a3402e0d2ecb40.jpeg

So you were going to around over $50? You'll double your money on the top row. Stores are stupid.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:27 AM, FlyingDonut said:

So you were going to around over $50? You'll double your money on the top row. Stores are stupid.

Yeah. I obviously I would have paid more (and did) if those books came in. I also like to reward first time visitors of my shop and leave them happy for potential future recommendations. The store employee literally sat down and spent about 20-30mins looking up about half of them on eBay. I know if the store owner was present he’d maker a better offer and would be more solid dealing with this buy.

Edited by littledoom