• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG BANG THEORY Tv show and comic collectors question........

18 posts in this topic

I JUSt saw this show for the 1st time and the character SHeldon , i think thats his name, is a comic collector and he had 4 framed comics above his bed.

Why are comic collectors usually portrayed as nerds/geeks and /or 40 year old virgins?

is it because this is the reality of adult comic collectors?

They all collect comics in that show along with play on computers such as WoW, collect figures and collectibles.

Why portrayed like that is beyond me.

But that show is funny as hell, portrays some truths that even I can relate with and is in my top 5 of shows to watch.

The thing about this show is that while they ARE nerds/geeks... they're shown as being SMART. (And not ashamed of their hobbies or predilections.)

The "normal" people on the show also have problems, both monetarily and social... so it's not like any strata of society is being disparaged.

Why are comic collectors usually portrayed as nerds/geeks and /or 40 year old virgins?

Because they ARE.

How many captains of the football team or coolest kids in school are comic collectors? Not many, I'd bet.

i dunno, i played football and basketball in highschool ( got three metal pins in my knee to show for it )...listen to punk rock (still do) went to shows all the time,always went out and was ALWAYS 100% in love with comic books..

i always thought it was lame when i hear or see how non comic collectors see us....like we are all sexless cave trolls who run from the sun lol

I JUSt saw this show for the 1st time and the character SHeldon , i think thats his name, is a comic collector and he had 4 framed comics above his bed.

is it because this is the reality of adult comic collectors?

Typical Hollywood sterotype just as Hollywood makes all postmen look incompetent. :shrug:

Great show.

i dunno, i played football and basketball in highschool ( got three metal pins in my knee to show for it )...listen to punk rock (still do) went to shows all the time,always went out and was ALWAYS 100% in love with comic books..

i always thought it was lame when i hear or see how non comic collectors see us....like we are all sexless cave trolls who run from the sun lol

Note that I said "not many", and not "None".

I bet if you took all of the people at SD Con and checked to see if they were star athletes in school or considered to be real bad-asses in school, it'd be a pretty small minority. Or conversely, if you took a poll of the sports teams or the kids hanging out in the smoking areas, there wouldn't be a whole lot of comic collectors among them.

yeah i dunno, i guess it hard for me to know what would be "cool" cause i didnt think sports made anyone "cool" i just love the game and it didnt hurt that im 6'5 lol

but yeah i guess i can see your point...ether way comic people ended up being the best people ive met in my short life

I started a thread on this show about 2 weeks ago.

I have a couple of clients who are involved with the show and was talking with one of them. Almost all of the writers/producers of the show are comic collectors/readers so they may have an idea of how geeky many of us were or are.

Nothing wrong with being a geek, I'm proud of it. (thumbs u

People don't like something different and i tend to think geeks unsettle people because of superior intelligence lol just like me lol

People don't like something different and i tend to think geeks unsettle people because of superior intelligence lol just like me lol

Dude, ever since you won that spelling bee in the third grade..we have not heard the end of it...get ovr it..it was 25 years ago...it's right up there with the "three touchdowns in a single game" bit from Al Bundy

Dude, ever since you won that spelling bee in the third grade..we have not heard the end of it...get ovr it..it was 25 years ago...it's right up there with the "three touchdowns in a single game" bit from Al Bundy

lol Nothing wrong with living off former glories - just ask Stan the Man

Four touchdowns. Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in one game.