• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

586 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Got a package from ebay yesterday, comic in a bag and board, stuck into a yellow padded envelope with no other protection. It's been a couple of years since that happened, didn't realize anyone was still rolling that way. Shouldn't have been surprised. Book was trashed. Seller gave a refund without any issue, seems like they are new. I tried to give them some tips about shipping comics, not that I think they'll listen, but you never know!

I always check to see how many comic books a seller has sold. If they've sold none or just a few (or if their feedback doesn't indicate great packing), as soon as I win the auction, I contact them via the eBay system with a polite suggestion as to how they can pack comics for maximum protection. So far, sellers have always followed my suggestion and recently one seller left me glowing feedback specifically pointing out my packing help. 

Pretty disappointed in how some sellers operate on ebay. First the guy answers my question regarding combined shipping- then invoices me incorrectly. They correct it with a new invoice but for whatever reason makes shipping cost 15 buck with an 11 buck discount. That discount gets applied to my purchase and costs me ebay bucks to boot. Now this seller is not some new guy either-- has a FB of 1000+ -- but just some of the dumb things they did annoyed me. All five books I bought stated the shipping would be sent first class mail. It was sent media mail and he took several days to get it to the post office to boot. So it arrives and he used old weak cardboard to make the sandwich-- old cardboard that had rounded off edges that exposed the corners of the comics. That weak packing was placed inside a thin plastic envelope. What a joke. And the kicker was that while they used media mail, they were so clueless that they shipped it as weighing 1 pound 3 ounces. So they could have added up to 12-13 ounces of additional protection without it costing more money. Why do people do this?

Needless to say-- I will never buy from this person again. And if that person is on this board, you best keep your mouth shut and not try to defend this crappy packaging effort. I am not going to leave feedback yet. But I am certainly not thinking the packing job was worth $4. Uggh-- so frustrating how some people operate.

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Pretty disappointed in how some sellers operate on ebay. First the guy answers my question regarding combined shipping- then invoices me incorrectly. They correct it with a new invoice but for whatever reason makes shipping cost 15 buck with an 11 buck discount. That discount gets applied to my purchase and costs me ebay bucks to boot. Now this seller is not some new guy either-- has a FB of 1000+ -- but just some of the dumb things they did annoyed me. All five books I bought stated the shipping would be sent first class mail. It was sent media mail and he took several days to get it to the post office to boot. So it arrives and he used old weak cardboard to make the sandwich-- old cardboard that had rounded off edges that exposed the corners of the comics. That weak packing was placed inside a thin plastic envelope. What a joke. And the kicker was that while they used media mail, they were so clueless that they shipped it as weighing 1 pound 3 ounces. So they could have added up to 12-13 ounces of additional protection without it costing more money. Why do people do this?

Needless to say-- I will never buy from this person again. And if that person is on this board, you best keep your mouth shut and not try to defend this crappy packaging effort. I am not going to leave feedback yet. But I am certainly not thinking the packing job was worth $4. Uggh-- so frustrating how some people operate.

The pat response I get when confronted by shipping damage is "no one has ever had a problem before with the way I package", like it's my fault.

The other one is, "The post office did it - not my problem."  Well it sure as sht ain't my problem as the buyer.  Oh, wait a sec...., maybe it is.  doh!

To anyone who might have doubts about shipping comics by Media Mail. I got something to prove that it is a No-No. 

Recently I got one parcel picked up and discovered that U.S. Postal did caught it, inspected and put a notice to inform me. I was dinged for $10 extra on top of shipping cost paid. Not me, this was from the seller's choice thru eBay. I had emailed to him with explaining what happened. 

On the other side, he did pack the books fine with no problems. 

See photos below

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Edited by Fan Boy
Shows info code

I am getting to the point where if someone states they are sending something media mail, they are not someone I will buy from (or buy from again if they lie about it like this last guy did).

Penny pinching is one thing but flat out lying is even worse in my book. If you say you are sending this first class or better- I expect that to be the method used. This is especially annoying when they charge you more money than the cost of the media mail postage and materials they used to ship the item. Shipping should never be a profit center. Sending one to 3 comic book via media mail is just ridiculous. /rant

Edited by 01TheDude

10 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I am getting to the point where if someone states they are sending something media mail, they are not someone I will buy from (or buy from again if they lie about it like this last guy did).

Penny pinching is one thing but flat out lying is even worse in my book. If you say you are sending this first class or better- I expect that to be the method used. This is especially annoying when they charge you more money than the cost of the media mail postage and materials they used to ship the item. Shipping should never be a profit center. Sending one to 3 comic book via media mail is just ridiculous. /rant

cec1a9fbc1397230ecb46ca21d33fc69.jpg

I like the one boardie who must have inherited a bunch of hardback overstock.  He ships the comic(s) either between two hardback books, or inside them.   Darn good protection of the goods, and I doubt whether the postie's ever dig deep enough to notice the contraband.

Its still very rare to get that letter I think I have gotten that once as a buyer. I use to ship media all the time years ago and just decided it wasn't worth the headache many years ago and stopped. 

I too understand the pain of why cant sellers pack well. Some days I am amazed a comic makes it to my house safely considering the job the seller did to pack it. Its the main reason why I have to be dying to use Amazon.

On 5/31/2017 at 8:24 PM, MBFan said:

I always check to see how many comic books a seller has sold. If they've sold none or just a few (or if their feedback doesn't indicate great packing), as soon as I win the auction, I contact them via the eBay system with a polite suggestion as to how they can pack comics for maximum protection. So far, sellers have always followed my suggestion and recently one seller left me glowing feedback specifically pointing out my packing help. 

Excellent advice.  Some non-comic dealers just assume you want the book to read and that condition doesn't much matter.  I recently sent a message to an eBay seller who doesn't sell many comics suggesting (politely) that he take care in packing and he sent me back a message with photos showing how thoroughly he had packed the books.  Great service!

A pet peeve:  Many sellers tape the bag holding the slab to the cardboard packing.  No good reason to do this, imo.  It's easy to put a layer of newspaper or bubble wrap around the slab and then tape it to the cardboard.

Removing the tape from the bag typically rips the bag or leaves a sticky residue on the bag.  Not the end of the world to replace the bag, of course, but just seems lazy on the part of sellers.  Even worse is not taking care to avoid putting tape across the top of an older slab.  Removing the tape can pull the label off.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:53 AM, Sqeggs said:

Excellent advice.  Some non-comic dealers just assume you want the book to read and that condition doesn't much matter.  I recently sent a message to an eBay seller who doesn't sell many comics suggesting (politely) that he take care in packing and he sent me back a message with photos showing how thoroughly he had packed the books.  Great service!

On 10/20/2017 at 5:01 PM, Exhero said:

I personally prefer using Gemini Comic Supply Flash Mailers. If you order enough they are cheaper and they honestly are the best method I have found to ship all of my comic books.

where do you find them?

I've been out of the comic selling/shipping/buying game for a while, but I'm going to hopefully be selling some of my books soon (to buy a house). I used to send everything priority mail and use the boxes that USPS gives out. Are there better/cheaper options nowadays for slabbed books? UPS/FedEx?

Also--best practices for high value books ($100+)? Signature confirmation? Delivery confirmation? (Ideally to best protect yourself in the event you get scammed by a buyer)

I know all of you have much more experience so I'm asking the hivemind here.

Die Die Die 1 Retailer Thank You Special Variant Gold Foil (VO)

IMG_20180824_085741.thumb.jpg.14f3a55bcc425aec9a271fd90aaa3d07.jpg

I was going to CGC this DIE DIE DIE gold foil #1 but, the ebay seller decided NOT to secure the book to the cardboard via painters tape so it bounced around a bit...we'll see if he makes good on it i've asked for a swap, so far no response.