• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

586 posts in this topic

I am shipping magazine-size comics (vintage TMNT) - and I am a newbie, but I wanted to know - before packing them up and addressing them to CGC in Florida, you fill out the online form and pay for the service. Then, is there a slip of paper you advise to put into the package of comics you are sending with like, name and your CGC number on it?  Or is it good enough to have the online form filled out with your info as you pay and that's that? (sorry for my ignorance in advance). Also - is there any tips for packing the larger mag-sized comics?

Capture.JPG

After you fill out the form, you'll print out the packing slip that lists the comics (and has your info on it) and include it with your shipment. Note that they want you to pack the comics in order shown on the slip that prints out (not how you input it into their online form). I haven't submitted any mag-sized stuff, so others may have tips. CGC has some tips and a video for tips on packing/shipping: Shipping Kits Now Available for Mail-In Submissions | CGC (cgccomics.com)

On 6/8/2022 at 9:08 AM, 850chris said:

After you fill out the form, you'll print out the packing slip that lists the comics (and has your info on it) and include it with your shipment. Note that they want you to pack the comics in order shown on the slip that prints out (not how you input it into their online form). I haven't submitted any mag-sized stuff, so others may have tips. CGC has some tips and a video for tips on packing/shipping: Shipping Kits Now Available for Mail-In Submissions | CGC (cgccomics.com)

Just curious...

I've always known/read this. They (CGC) seem to want to make this very clear.

But, I have never known what system they use for listing the books in the order they do. Is it alphabetical? Does it go by FMV? Publication date? Curious minds want to know.

On 8/7/2022 at 5:54 AM, Gaard said:

Just curious...

I've always known/read this. They (CGC) seem to want to make this very clear.

But, I have never known what system they use for listing the books in the order they do. Is it alphabetical? Does it go by FMV? Publication date? Curious minds want to know.

Honestly I'm not sure...I looked over some packing slips on my account and two appeared to be by pub dates. But on the third, the books weren't in any order that I could tell (not by declared value, alphabetical order, or pub date). 

Great tutorial. I am sending 21 bagged and boarded comics to myComicShop to sell. I’m a bit nervous as it’s my first time, and most are pretty old books –Marvels from 1965-1966. So I still have a few questions:

1)      This example shows 10 books. Should I split my comics into one pack of 11 and one of 10 and make a cardboard and bag sandwich of each before putting in mailing box? Or will this work for one pack of 21?

2)      Where do you get the bags (for the sandwich, not the comics)?

3)      Could I get away with a bubble mailer for this since its domestic mail?  Might need 2.

4)      Any preference on mailing service? USPS?UPS?FedEx?

Thanks.

Thank you for this guidance on shipping.  I have a question about best way to send several, maybe 3-5, Gem boxes.

Would you suggest bubble wrap around each of them or is that over kill?

Does it matter if the Gem boxes are standing up vertical like in this image or laying flat?  Seems that if laying flat, even if bubble warped, pressure from the top will transfer to the books.  But it looks like that's how CGC recommends doing it with their mailing kits..?

If standing vertical is best, and you're sending several gem boxes, the box is kinda square, maybe labeling the shipping box with that side up will help keep the box in that direction ..?

Is shipping Gem boxes vertical best protection?

On 3/8/2023 at 7:27 AM, Pukie said:

Thank you for this guidance on shipping.  I have a question about best way to send several, maybe 3-5, Gem boxes.

Would you suggest bubble wrap around each of them or is that over kill?

Does it matter if the Gem boxes are standing up vertical like in this image or laying flat?  Seems that if laying flat, even if bubble warped, pressure from the top will transfer to the books.  But it looks like that's how CGC recommends doing it with their mailing kits..?

If standing vertical is best, and you're sending several gem boxes, the box is kinda square, maybe labeling the shipping box with that side up will help keep the box in that direction ..?

Is shipping Gem boxes vertical best protection?

I think the best way, overkill or not,  is whatever you feel comfortable/safe with. Main thing for me is to keep books from shifting around in the box.  I’ve typically done bubble wrap around the entire stack of gemini mailers. But if I had some higher value books, I’d probably go a little overboard for my own peace of mind.

Edited by 850chris
Typo…fat thumbs

I shipped a few books this past week.  I definitely was inspired by Pukie's design.  Gem boxes first.  Then box within a box design with lots of bubble wrap.  I feel better about the chance that the books arrive undamaged.