• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

586 posts in this topic

Around Christmas I purchased a cgc graded book and paid $10 for shipping. The guy shipped media mail in a fitted boxed with no padding. It took close to 10 days to arrive and when I opened the package the case was cracked. As a seller if a buyer pays $10 for shipping I would think you should ship priority in an appropriate box with padding instead of trying to squeeze every penny out of a sale.

Around Christmas I purchased a cgc graded book and paid $10 for shipping. The guy shipped media mail in a fitted boxed with no padding. It took close to 10 days to arrive and when I opened the package the case was cracked. As a seller if a buyer pays $10 for shipping I would think you should ship priority in an appropriate box with padding instead of trying to squeeze every penny out of a sale.

I charge $12 from Canada with a brand new box (15x11x4) and more than enough bubble wrap and peanuts. Your seller is obviously a tool. If it makes you feel any better I just received 2 slabs each worth over $500 from a seller in the US. No padding and declared at $60. They made it but come on.

My last CGC shipment is the 1st time i've received cracked cases 2/10. Not bad. 2 cracked cases out of 3,000 plus slabs. :) Luckily this time I was cracking for SS anyway.

Those are crappy recommendations - the book needs to be secured to one of the pieces of cardboard prior to sandwiching, otherwise it slides around inside. And you should never ship anything you care about (like a GA All Star) in a priority envelope :screwy:

Those are crappy recommendations - the book needs to be secured to one of the pieces of cardboard prior to sandwiching, otherwise it slides around inside. And you should never ship anything you care about (like a GA All Star) in a priority envelope :screwy:

If the cardboard is taped tightly, the comic does not slide around.

Regarding "the comic needs to be secured to one of the pieces of cardboard" -- the problem I've seen is when people decide to use clear packing tape to secure the comic to the cardboard. Clear packing tape really should never be used anywhere on the inside of a package, only on the outside. It's extremely sticky and can potentially damage anything it adheres to, including a comic sleeve. Masking tape is preferable, and blue painter's tape (or green woodworking tape) are even better choices.

Also: What are your concerns with a priority envelope? True, it is not as durable as a priority box, but for lower-value comics it costs about 1/2 as much. My experience with the US Postal Service has been that comics, when packaged securely, arrive safely via a Priority Envelope 99% of the time.

I know this has been discussed before but heres what I do. I wrap each bag ( no matter how many books are in it ) with a sheet of newspaper. Just like wrapping a present. I wrap it tight so theres no excess anywhere. Then I attach it with 2" packing tape on the corners at 45 degress across. That way the bundle cant slide side to side or top to bottom. Its going nowhere. Then I add the other piece of cardboard to complete the sandwich. This way no tape is stuck directly to the bag and it unwraps easily by the custome leaving the bag untouched. No hassle. Just my 2c.

DR.X

Is the process similar when shipping TPBs ? Do they make storage bags for these, or do I have to use a magazine bag? (shrug)

I use the bags CGC send slabs back in.

Personally, I always use oversized boxes, lots of bubble wrap/peanuts so unless the box gets run over by a a truck it "Should" remain safe. May cost a little more but I've never received a problem shipping like this. Peace of mind for both me AND the buyer.

Sellers - if you're wondering why you aren't getting more repeat business, here was a response that I recently got:

"I am sorry for the previous packaging issues. I cannot guarantee that these books will arrive safe and sound. My intention is to package them well however I cannot be responsible for how they are tossed around once they leave."

And of course, they were packaged like krapp in the first place. meh

Nice, 'it's not my fault' attitude. Almost all shipping damage is preventable.

Unless there are tire marks on the package, this type of due dillegence and customer service is unacceptable.

Under certain conditions, this is 100% untrue. Yes, most times it won't move but it's still possible. Why take the chance? Secure the comic to one of the backer boards before sandwiching between two boards. 2c

I know this has been discussed before but heres what I do. I wrap each bag ( no matter how many books are in it ) with a sheet of newspaper. Just like wrapping a present. I wrap it tight so theres no excess anywhere. Then I attach it with 2" packing tape on the corners at 45 degress across. That way the bundle cant slide side to side or top to bottom. Its going nowhere. Then I add the other piece of cardboard to complete the sandwich. This way no tape is stuck directly to the bag and it unwraps easily by the custome leaving the bag untouched. No hassle. Just my 2c.

DR.X

Might have to try that. I usually use a magazine bag. That way I can secure the comics (inside the mag bag) to the cardboard before sandwiching. That way the tape never comes into contact with the comic bag. Seems to work well enough.

What you are doing there is squishing the comic in place, any impact to the cardboard will be transferred to the book. As Jeff said, secure the book to one piece of board, then tape them up to make a sandwich. Any impact will seperate the boards and the book has far less chance of getting battered.