• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard Big Apple Show in NY October 2009

202 posts in this topic

I'd suggest Barcade (bar + classic 25c arcade) or Coyote Ugly for drinks. A few burlesque shows going on, too. Plenty to do if you want to get away from the tourists and have an underground NYC experience.

No offense, those places are also tourists spots. Those places are being run by out-of-town "cool" people who thought the places they were from, which is not NYC, wasn't cool enough to put on those shows. Those people that put on those shows, probably moved to NYC 5 years ago. They're the same as the tourists.

Underground NYC died a few years ago, when Bloomberg allowed all the fake yuppie out-of-town, townies into NYC. I've been living in NYC for over 30 years. Started going to CBGB's when I was 12 for the all-ages Sunday Matinees and went to all the raves and clubs back in the late 80's and 90's, now that's underground NYC.

old school bitterness :cloud9:

There are plenty of places in the West Village, but they all require getting downtown.

You could all take the train up to Westchester, I'll order pizzas;)

There are plenty of places all over the city, except for 12th avenue where the con is. Once it ends, there's no use trying to find something local, a cab ride will be required at minimum to get you somewhere for dinner/drinks/bar experience, etc.

(except for Westchester, that's too far, sorry!)

There are plenty of places in the West Village, but they all require getting downtown.

You could all take the train up to Westchester, I'll order pizzas;)

There are plenty of places all over the city, except for 12th avenue where the con is. Once it ends, there's no use trying to find something local, a cab ride will be required at minimum to get you somewhere for dinner/drinks/bar experience, etc.

(except for Westchester, that's too far, sorry!)

Well, I do live in the same town as Archie Comics;)

We could all walk over to the Soup Nazi;) if he's still on 54th;)

I'd be down with getting lunch with some of you fine folks. Pat has pretty much told me we're going, even if he has to wheel my arse around the con. lol We should be leaving Baltimore at 7am or so.

Well, I do live in the same town as Archie Comics;)

Hello new best friend! :D

I wish you were going, too. I think it would so cool to go to New York with you for a convention. I'll take some pictures for you. (thumbs u

Next year. We should all go up a day early and I will show you the real NY.

I'm still trying to get over the pyschological scarring that is the "real Baltimore" :)

Jim

I'd suggest Barcade (bar + classic 25c arcade) or Coyote Ugly for drinks. A few burlesque shows going on, too. Plenty to do if you want to get away from the tourists and have an underground NYC experience.

No offense, those places are also tourists spots. Those places are being run by out-of-town "cool" people who thought the places they were from, which is not NYC, wasn't cool enough to put on those shows. Those people that put on those shows, probably moved to NYC 5 years ago. They're the same as the tourists.

Underground NYC died a few years ago, when Bloomberg allowed all the fake yuppie out-of-town, townies into NYC. I've been living in NYC for over 30 years. Started going to CBGB's when I was 12 for the all-ages Sunday Matinees and went to all the raves and clubs back in the late 80's and 90's, now that's underground NYC.

doh! I hear ya.. times change.. nothing stays the same.. the good old days.. but when I said tourist traps, I meant Times Sq, chain restaurants, and the like.

Why you would want to be down on the neo-burlesque scene though? I have a lot of friends in Burlesque. It's good clean dirty fun.

On the other hand, I can actually send my kid to public school nowadays without constantly worrying about him getting beaten into a coma or slashed.

I can walk around Times Square and there are a lot fewer junkies and crack hos.

Heck, my wife takes the subway in Brooklyn with an engagement ring you could buy a car with and has never been mugged. Imagine doing that in the 70's or 80's?

That was not the case for me growing up here in the 70's. Had I gone to my local public school I would have been mugged and had the sh*t kicked out of me nearly every day, if not worse. A friend of mine was beaten into a coma.

On the other other other hand, my folks paid $8700 for a 4 bedroom apartment on west 84th street in 1967.

I paid 100X that much for a house in Brooklyn in 2007.

So there are definitely costs to living in the safer New York, all those out of town yuppies who now feel safe here made things expensive.

I wish you were going, too. I think it would so cool to go to New York with you for a convention. I'll take some pictures for you. (thumbs u

Next year. We should all go up a day early and I will show you the real NY.

I'm still trying to get over the pyschological scarring that is the "real Baltimore" :)

Jim

I'll hook you guys up.

old school bitterness :cloud9:

Gotta keep it real. Just say no to "Gentrification" & "Beautification." (thumbs u

doh! I hear ya.. times change.. nothing stays the same.. the good old days.. but when I said tourist traps, I meant Times Sq, chain restaurants, and the like.

Why you would want to be down on the neo-burlesque scene though? I have a lot of friends in Burlesque. It's good clean dirty fun.

On the other hand, I can actually send my kid to public school nowadays without constantly worrying about him getting beaten into a coma or slashed.

I can walk around Times Square and there are a lot fewer junkies and crack hos.

Heck, my wife takes the subway in Brooklyn with an engagement ring you could buy a car with and has never been mugged. Imagine doing that in the 70's or 80's?

That was not the case for me growing up here in the 70's. Had I gone to my local public school I would have been mugged and had the sh*t kicked out of me nearly every day, if not worse. A friend of mine was beaten into a coma.

What school was this? I've gone to public school in "old" NYC, that never happened to me. I was mugged only once at school and the person who try mugged me got the worse of it. I would take the subway at all hours of the night back in the 80's and 90's from going to shows and what not, I have never been mugged once, seriously. But I guess when you and the people you hang with are a bunch of spiky hair leather jacket wearing punk rock types, people don't tend mess with you.

There's plenty of non-touristy dives left. My personal favorite is The Patriot on Chambers near Church. 2x4 is decent. The Library hasn't changed as long as I've been going there (about eight years?). But yes, you may be jaded on the underground scene being dead, but you're dead right about those frat boy bars being tourist holes.

Amazing books on display, some familiar faces, but the place was pretty empty, but then again, it's only Friday.

Again, they locate it in a place with no public transportation, I don't know what they're thinking with that - spent $40 in taxis :P