• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMIC ZONE ON NOW- WITH NEAL ADAMS

474 posts in this topic

When I asked Neal to be on the Zone he said he would under one condition-half the show about comics and half about his theory. While I would have loved have had him talk about Batman for an hour he wouldn't. I made a decision that it would be better to have him on and talk for a half hour about comics than not at all. I hope you can all appreciate this.

By the way I really did find his theory interesting-I know it is not great for guys who want to hear him talk about funny books but it is the best I could do.

VZ

I know it is not great for guys who want to hear him talk about funny books

Come on, let's not get all condescending about "funny books". When you've got a show called COMIC ZONE, then expect a little flack when some whacko spends half his time expounding a "Growing Earth" theory best left to the Science Channel.

It's all about the target audience and understanding why most people are tuning in.

Is it to hear about comics or strange scientific theories? If it's the latter, then BIZARRE SCIENCE might be a better title for the show. thumbsup2.gif

I know it is not great for guys who want to hear him talk about funny books

Come on, let's not get all condescending about "funny books". When you've got a show called COMIC ZONE, then expect a little flack when some whacko spends half his time expounding a "Growing Earth" theory best left to the Science Channel.

It's all about the target audience and understanding why most people are tuning in.

Is it to hear about comics or strange scientific theories? If it's the latter, then BIZARRE SCIENCE might be a better title for the show. thumbsup2.gif

I think we all got your point the first time JC, but thnx for the refresher.

Wait a minute.. 2 posts to JC in 24 hours.. am I trolling? 893whatthe.gif

Ze-

Edit... JC.. One segment does not a Radio Show make. On a whole ComicZone IS about comics.. big picture man.. big picture.

"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense." - Carl Sagan

And as an antidote to all this particularly deep nonsense I recommend......

demonworld.jpg

That's an excellent book and my favorite by Sagan. It systematically demolishes virtually every paranormal theory or psuedo-science you could think of.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I love debating junk science and ideas like "no plane hit the pentagon"

Mind you I still have much respect for Neal Adams. In my mind he's one of the top 5 greatest comic artists ever. I would of done the same thing Vincent did.

Adams' theory is, like all the best theories, a very simple and elegant solution to lots of problems in other scientific fields (why were dinosaurs so enormous, why is there no old ocean floor, why were sea levels a mile higher 200MYA (that's a lot of water that's vanished into the ice caps, isn't it?), why did the climate cool off and seasonality become more pronounced between 200MYA and now, where does all that matter (dust, meteors and even single atoms and ions) the Earth sweeps up as it orbits the Sun go, why is the universe's expansion accelerating, and just why do the continents all fit together if you cut them out and lay them on a smaller globe?). South America and Africa don't fit together exactly on a globe of the current size, but shrink it a bit and Argentina and South Africa suddenly touch again.

Adams can answer all those problems with just one bizarre assertion: that the Earth is growing. Easy to dismiss if you have either a closed mind or no patience to wade through the pages and pages he's written on the subject. Until I saw his video clips the other day, I thought the theory was "interesting if true"...I had trouble visualising the Pacific Basin closing up so beautifully. Now I'd say that it certainly makes more sense than the Pangea theory. The examples on Mars, Europa and the Moon were rather thought-provoking; and of course, if his idea is right, then it would be true of all planetary and stellar bodies in the universe, so you can't do better than showing spreading elsewhere in the solar system.

Of course, if someone could just find indisputable evidence of subduction occurring, then he'd have to find something else to do with his spare time. But apparently, no one has yet. The simplest solution is not always the correct one...but it's the most probable. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And to talk about it in a way of saying, "Well, isn't it okay," and being reasonable about it when you don't know and I do, I think that you should be a little bit more responsible in knowing what it is.

Sorry, are you attacking me? I thought I did a good job of sitting on the fence, while defending Adams' right to propose his theory. Which, at the risk of repeating myself, is both elegant and interesting.

Maybe I'm missing something here, why does he claim there's no evidence for subduction?

http://www.geo.lsa.umich.edu/~crlb/COURSES/270/Lec13/Lec13.html

(please click on above link)

A good example is the Juan de Fuca Plate.

Its has fractured into three pieces. The central piece retains the Juan de Fuca name, whereas the southern piece is known as the Gorda Plate and the northern piece is known as the Explorer Plate.

Along with the Nazca Plate and Cocos Plate, the Juan de Fuca Plate is one of the last remains of the Farallon Plate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_Fuca_plate

And to talk about it in a way of saying, "Well, isn't it okay," and being reasonable about it when you don't know and I do, I think that you should be a little bit more responsible in knowing what it is.

Sorry, are you attacking me? I thought I did a good job of sitting on the fence, while defending Adams' right to propose his theory. Which, at the risk of repeating myself, is both elegant and interesting.

You just communicate about it. And the important thing is, like you and I talk about it, whether it's -- okay, if I wanna know something, I go and find out. Because I don't talk about things that I don't understand. I'll say, you know what? I'm not so sure about that. I'll go find more information about it so I can-- I can come to an opinion based on-- on the information that I have.

You just communicate about it. And the important thing is, like you and I talk about it, whether it's -- okay, if I wanna know something, I go and find out. Because I don't talk about things that I don't understand. I'll say, you know what? I'm not so sure about that. I'll go find more information about it so I can-- I can come to an opinion based on-- on the information that I have.

I'm passionate about learning. I'm passionate about life, Matt.