• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Art?

5 posts in this topic

I understand a lot of coloring nowadays is digital.

But what about the art in mainstream comics?

Are actually hand skills going to be a thing of the past?

I really don't know much about this stuff, but can digital artists basically draw a comic book without any "talent" to do so (other than operating the program?)

Or is it going to all have that weird "digital" look to it?

Interesting question. I've tried my hand at some digital art, and though it's great in some areas, it's still lacking in others. For instance, I don't think inking is quite the same in digital as it is by hand. It is hard to capture the same level of fineness, IMO.

That being said, the artistic skills required for either medium are comparable. An amateur cannot render masterpieces in either medium, IMO.

That being said, the artistic skills required for either medium are comparable. An amateur cannot render masterpieces in either medium, IMO.

--------------------

There is a fair amount of "physical" skill/ability that goes into drawing or painting by hand. Seriously, you have professional illustrators who work for many years before hitting their peak.

I don't know enough about digital, but as I understand it, there are lots of short cuts, stock textures, replication, etc., as in the software can help you get pretty far along on a piece if you know how to us it and I would guess that scanning in photos would make things easier too.

Of course, creativity comes into play for setting up the scene, etc.