• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Hulk 181 a good read or a POS that just happens to be a key ?

35 posts in this topic

Great Sanford & Son Quiotes:

Fred Sanford: I still want to sow some wild oats!

Lamont Sanford: At your age, you don't have no wild oats, you got shredded wheat!

Aunt Esther: Who you calling ugly, sucker!

Fred Sanford: I'm calling you ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies.

Aunt Esther: Fred Sanford why is it every time I come over to your house you call me ugly?

Fred Sanford: Because I'm not the type to lie.

Aunt Esther: Woodrow and I are going to have a baby.

Fred Sanford: Well somebody better call the zoo.

Julio: Beunos Dias Mr. Sanford.

Fred Sanford: And beans and disease to you too!

Lamont Sanford: This is a pea coat.

Bubba: Did you know that when you bought it?

Lamont Sanford: At your age, you don't have no wild oats, you got shredded wheat!

Fred Sanford: I'm calling you ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies.

Aunt Esther: Fred Sanford why is it every time I come over to your house you call me ugly?

LMAO!!! sign-funnypost.gif

(And Terry, thank you for your well-thought, perfectly reasonable response. Try to vague it up and make it a little more incoherent next time, though.) 893naughty-thumb.gif

Now I know. I sussed it as Steptoe & Son as soon as you said junkyard. Steptoe is regarded as one ot the greatest English sitcoms ever. Must have started around 1967/68 and went on until around 1974/75. Very funny.

LMAO!!! sign-funnypost.gif

(And Terry, thank you for your well-thought, perfectly reasonable response. Try to vague it up and make it a little more incoherent next time, though.) 893naughty-thumb.gif

I'm sorry for answering so intelligently Khaos. I'll try to be sillier next time!! tongue.gif

Great quotes, JC! What about when Hoppy would always say the black slang expressions incorrectly, and Smitty would always correct him? And anytime an ugly woman on the show would say "Well I never!", and Fred would always come up with some hilarious facial expression or comeback? Or whenever that annoying guy was on? The one who said "EEE...YES......." Those were some great running gags they had on the show as well! thumbsup2.gif

Great quotes, JC! What about when...

Well, there were quite a few hilarious ones with Fred using pretty blatant racial slurs, so I naturally left them off.

The best gags were when Fred, Grady, Bubba and Otis would be hanging out, tossing insults back and forth. That, and the hilarious trip to Hawaii. 27_laughing.gif

Or, what about the earlier gang Fred had, that included one guy named "Skillet", and John Amos (I don't remember his character's name). Remember the episode where Fred bet his pool hall buddies that Lena Horne was coming to the house?

The racial slurs were one of the best parts of the show, in my opinion (remember Pat Morita playing Ah Chew?). That's why All in the Family was so brilliant as well, that shows like this totally broke the mold of what was done on television.

I'm totally sensitive to being respectful of other peoples' races and cultures, but it's pretty sad how PC things have gotten now. Is it this uptight in Canada as well?

I'm totally sensitive to being respectful of other peoples' races and cultures, but it's pretty sad how PC things have gotten now. Is it this uptight in Canada as well?

Worse up here, way worse.

Now as for the "racial slur" thing, our University apartment unit had a pretty diverse ethnic mix, and we used to watch Sanford & Son reruns and no one took offense. Fred was just a old fart who said what he felt like, it was quite refreshing, and everyone laughed and enjoyed the show.

Then again, there's a big difference between seeing and hearing Fred say these things, and posting them as text on the forums, without any of the context of the show or the way they were spoken.

Sure, posting some of those remarks as text on here would be inappropriate. I'm surprised they even still show the reruns of Sanford and Son and All in the Family on "TV Land" anymore, honestly. Do you remember the Sanford and Son episode where the cops got high eating Grady's salad with the marijuana in it? I'm really surprised that episode is shown at all, but it's been shown probably 3 times in the last month or two.

I'm just disappointed that so many people are so easily offended over anything nowadays. I think racially motivated jokes like the ones in these sitcoms serve to expose the ignorance of racism, rather than encouraging it. But, I can't see it from another race's point of view, as I'm white. So, maybe other races were really hurt by all this. I don't think the average Joe (no pun intended, JC) is offended by this stuff. I think this all came about from a few self-appointed "cultural leaders" trying to make names for themselves.

I think this all came about from a few self-appointed "cultural leaders" trying to make names for themselves.

Can you name them? If not, then I guess they failed. 27_laughing.gif

Point well taken, Valiantman! 27_laughing.gif

By the way, do you have anything to say about Sanford and Son or not?

I think this all came about from a few self-appointed "cultural leaders" trying to make names for themselves.

HEY... i thought this thread was about hulk 181! every time someone tries to talk about hulk 181 someone brings up sanford and son! insane.gif

Well I'm not Valiantman but I think S&S is as funny as 893censored-thumb.gif!

27_laughing.gif

One of the greatest shows of all time! thumbsup2.gif

There was a skit on Saturday Night Live a few years ago,

where they were making fun of MTV giving Kennedy (the ditsy VJ) a show.

She was supposed to be interviewing some politician or something,

but she was just making ridiculous comments about off-the-wall stuff.

Something was said that referenced Sanford & Son, so she started

singing the theme song... Wah-wah-WAH-nuh... Wah-wah-WAH-nuh-wanna-wahh.

Anyway, I started doing that around the house everytime my wife

would ask me, "What are you thinking about?"

Finally, my wife banned me from singing the theme song to Sanford & Son.

Other things I have been banned from doing:

- leaving clothes in the living room.

- trying to get her (or any group of friends that includes her) to play Trivial Pursuit.

- saying "it's kind of hot in these rhinos" whenever we go to the zoo.