• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Statistically, according to CGC census, the scarcest and most common JIMs are...

147 posts in this topic

I don't think #87 is that tough, I can think of at least 3 public sales of 9.4 copies in the last 7 years, and it seems to have held steady at around $4-5K since the first public sale back in 2002 or so (sold by Mark Wilson, if I recall).

I do know of two 9.4 sales. Beyond that I don't think I remember seeing a copy in the 8.5-9.2 range sell at all in the past 5 years. GPA does list an 8.5 sale in 01/07 but I don't remember it.

I remember selling my 9.2 W copy (slabbed from a raw copy) back in 2002.

:cry:

My #87 was available back in '06 when you bought my # 89. Both were virgin copies graded at 8.5...

Harley swooped in and grabbed 5 issues from #84 - #92, all virgin and all in the 8.0 - 9.2 range...

I don't think #87 is that tough, I can think of at least 3 public sales of 9.4 copies in the last 7 years, and it seems to have held steady at around $4-5K since the first public sale back in 2002 or so (sold by Mark Wilson, if I recall).

I do know of two 9.4 sales. Beyond that I don't think I remember seeing a copy in the 8.5-9.2 range sell at all in the past 5 years. GPA does list an 8.5 sale in 01/07 but I don't remember it.

My #87 was available back in '06 when you bought my # 89. Both were virgin copies graded at 8.5...

I had tunnel vision at the time.

:(

Harley bought the remaining JIM books didn't he? I'd love that book now.

Can't believe it's been 3 years...

I had tunnel vision at the time.

:(

Harley bought the remaining JIM books didn't he? I'd love that book now.

Can't believe it's been 3 years...

Harley`s who I bought my raw JIM run from many years ago, including #83. Amazing pages, I think they were from some collection in Michigan, most of the books when slabbed were given the White page designation by CGC. If anyone ever sees a 9.0 (or maybe higher now, because the bottom right corner was definitely pressable into a higher grade) with "Stan Lee" signed on the cover, that`s it.

Tim, do you have any old scans saved? I'd love to see them.

I wish. Unfortunately I sold them all before I ever bought a scanner. Believe it or not, I used to have a decent Marvel collection back in the day, until I sold them off to finance my DC and Duck acquisitions. I wish I`d scanned them before I sold them. :(

Did you used to live out here or did Harley come out there?

Nah, all done through email after I`d moved to HK. Lauterbach brokered the sale of the #83 to me from Harley, who had it at his booth at a con (SD I think). Then Harley and I started talking directly through email and he mentioned he had a few other early JIMs from the same collection so I bought them.

Just for fun, (and because I just got it slabbed.) This is the scarcest slabbed war cover in the CAC run. Only NINE copies on census.

P1190106.jpg

Now that's what I call a sweet lookin' 2.0... (thumbs u

Yeah, I think because the cover is loose. But since this is 1 of 9 graded copies, I can live with that...

i vote this the best thread in awhile...alot of info in here!!!

Glad (most) everybody likes it! (thumbs u I thought it would be entertaining at the very least. I was getting tired of reading pressing threads and about nut-jobs on the boards, so I figured this would be a good change of pace.

Glad (most) everybody likes it! (thumbs u I thought it would be entertaining at the very least. I was getting tired of reading pressing threads and about nut-jobs on the boards, so I figured this would be a good change of pace.

+1 (thumbs u

....and who are you calling a nut-job?!? :slapfight:

+1 (thumbs u

....and who are you calling a nut-job?!? :slapfight:

Hmmmm? You haven't had an entire thread dedicated to you lately have you? lol

Sorry if this is a little too late, but here's EVERY universal CGC Census number for Marvel 1954 to 1966.

:grin:

http://www.gregholland.com/cgc/customissues.asp?vars=&compact=&min=&previous=090811&yearstart=1954&yearend=1966&orderby=&title=Marvel+Comics&pub=Marvel+Comics&issuestart=0&issueend=99999&spec=

(thumbs u

Note: Some of the earlier books are not listed in CGC Census as "Marvel"... they are "Atlas".

So, here are the Atlas numbers (1954 to 1962)...

http://www.gregholland.com/cgc/customissues.asp?vars=&compact=&min=&previous=090811&yearstart=1954&yearend=1962&orderby=&title=Atlas+Comics&pub=Atlas+Comics&issuestart=0&issueend=99999&spec=

Although I've been out of comics for a long time, I do have a couple price points for this thread. Back in 2003 or so I bought a JIM #84 in 9.0 oww from Jim Watson (is that his name out there on the west coast?), who had a major website selling tons of HG comics, mostly DC's. $2850 or thereabouts. I sold it to another collector a year or two later. I also bought an FF #13 from him in 9.2 oww that now resides in fantastic_four's fine collection; he had great stuff. Pricey, for then, but great!

I also had the crazy good fortune of emailing back and forth with an Ebay dealer once about a few FF's that they had put up on Ebay, also in 2003. I asked if they had any more FF's to sell to see if I could meet their BIN price pre-Ebay (they had an FF #7 and #10 in 8.5 white up previously). Their response was, "No more FF's, but we have a Journey Into Mystery #90 in 9.2 with white pages." Knowing it was pretty scarce, I bought it at their BIN price and sold it for about $2800 later that year. No pressing for that book, so by now I'm sure it's in a 9.4 or 9.6 holder as it was beautiful.

Hope that helps -- probably not... :applause:

Dan

I bought the #90 from you. :acclaim: It had a chip on the back cover if I recall. Just a beautiful, beautiful 9.2. My 2 biggest regrets in selling my JIM run were selling the #84 and #90 followed by #89.

#91 is tough because of the black cover and because the top staple is usually recessed, much like ASM #23. 9.2 is usually the top grade for #91 and even when you do see a 9.4, it's usually a weak borderline 9.2.

#84 above 9.0 is nearly impossible. I saw Doug's copy and it's a freak of nature. I had the 9.0, probably from you Dan, and it was a thing of beauty. I had an 8.5 since then but it was really an 8.0 in an 8.5 holder.

#94 is not tough. #88 is easy to find even in 9.0/9.2. It's all relative to the surrounding issues of course. #86 is very easy to find comparatively. #87 I've owned 2 9.4s. Not an impossible book, but still a great cover and difficult to get in 9.4+. #85 I never owned a 9.4 copy. Best I ever had was a 9.2. I think Doug had a 9.4 on his site for a few years. Very tough in 9.2 or better.

Although I've been out of comics for a long time, I do have a couple price points for this thread. Back in 2003 or so I bought a JIM #84 in 9.0 oww from Jim Watson (is that his name out there on the west coast?), who had a major website selling tons of HG comics, mostly DC's. $2850 or thereabouts. I sold it to another collector a year or two later. I also bought an FF #13 from him in 9.2 oww that now resides in fantastic_four's fine collection; he had great stuff. Pricey, for then, but great!

I also had the crazy good fortune of emailing back and forth with an Ebay dealer once about a few FF's that they had put up on Ebay, also in 2003. I asked if they had any more FF's to sell to see if I could meet their BIN price pre-Ebay (they had an FF #7 and #10 in 8.5 white up previously). Their response was, "No more FF's, but we have a Journey Into Mystery #90 in 9.2 with white pages." Knowing it was pretty scarce, I bought it at their BIN price and sold it for about $2800 later that year. No pressing for that book, so by now I'm sure it's in a 9.4 or 9.6 holder as it was beautiful.

Dan

I bought the #90 from you. :acclaim: It had a chip on the back cover if I recall. Just a beautiful, beautiful 9.2. My 2 biggest regrets in selling my JIM run were selling the #84 and #90 followed by #89.

#91 is tough because of the black cover and because the top staple is usually recessed, much like ASM #23. 9.2 is usually the top grade for #91 and even when you do see a 9.4, it's usually a weak borderline 9.2.

#84 above 9.0 is nearly impossible. I saw Doug's copy and it's a freak of nature. I had the 9.0, probably from you Dan, and it was a thing of beauty. I had an 8.5 since then but it was really an 8.0 in an 8.5 holder.

#94 is not tough. #88 is easy to find even in 9.0/9.2. It's all relative to the surrounding issues of course. #86 is very easy to find comparatively. #87 I've owned 2 9.4s. Not an impossible book, but still a great cover and difficult to get in 9.4+. #85 I never owned a 9.4 copy. Best I ever had was a 9.2. I think Doug had a 9.4 on his site for a few years. Very tough in 9.2 or better.

That's interesting that you say 94 is not tough. There are only 5 copies above 9.0. That seems VERY tough. Least represented in the census. Do you mean raw? I don't doubt you, but the census doesn't seem to back you up.

I`ve always thought 87 and 88 were relatively easy to find in high grade, definitely 88.

#87 is tough to find in VF or better and when it does show, prices multiply every time. I missed bidding on a copy on eBay about 2 years ago. It ended at about $500. Last copy I saw for sale topped $1500 a few months ago.

#88 is slightly easier to find but as stated by Mike, not CGC graded and not in high grade.

Does anyone have an speculation as to why JIM books seem to be the toughest SA Marvel title to complete in high grade?

#88 is by far the most common JIM in the 80s in 9.4, there must have been at least 10 for sale during the past 7 years. It's one of those anomaly books that just coincidentally seems to have been saved in high grade in lots of collections. I believe Harry's copy was a 9.4, the only one of his early JIMs to get that grade.

#86 is more common than 88. I came across at least 4 or 5 9.4 or better copies in the 3 -4 years I put together my run.

My run was all the JIMs 9.2 or better except for #84 which was a 9.0. Almost all were 9.4 or better except #83 (9.2), #89 (9.2), #85 (9.2), 95(9.2) and probably 1 more I can't remember. Some highlights were the 103 9.6 and 112 9.6 and bunch of other 9.4s and 9.6s. All gone now. Sigh.

Dan

That's interesting that you say 94 is not tough. There are only 5 copies above 9.0. That seems VERY tough. Least represented in the census. Do you mean raw? I don't doubt you, but the census doesn't seem to back you up.

I didn't have a tough time finding a copy. I found one early on in my search, so that could be the reason why I didn't see it as a problem. I did see a few other copies in 9.2 over the years. Very few in 9.4. I think my copy was 9.4 with cr/ow. I'd have to check.

I'd like to hear Brent's answer although I didn't think #94 was that tough either...but I've never been in a market for a 9.2 or up so I don't know about that part of the spectrum.

I do know I've owned and seen a few in the VF range so it's not an impossible book across the board like some other issues. This may be one of those anomolies that are much tougher only in the NM range and this could likely be simply because some people haven't slabbed them.

I'd like to hear Brent's answer although I didn't think #94 was that tough either...but I've never been in a market for a 9.2 or up so I don't know about that part of the spectrum.

I do know I've owned and seen a few in the VF range so it's not an impossible book across the board like some other issues. This may be one of those anomolies that are much tougher only in the NM range and this could likely be simply because some people haven't slabbed them.

I think that's more likely to be true Roy. High grade copies ie 8.0 - 9.2 didn't seem that difficult to find in comparison with #95. I knew back in 2001/2002, that #95 was very, very difficult. I bought every copy in 7.5 or better that I could find.

I do know that I had a tough time upgrading finding another 9.4 with better PQ. Seems that the issue did have PQ problems? I could be wrong on that.