• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogami's Shadow Gallery!

7,518 posts in this topic

Here is a master of language and history, taking very ancient concepts, ideas and words and flinging them into a very far flung future in logical ways and stating how humans are likely to act in each of these areas.

That's why I love the series: take a group of humans, put them in an alternate universe, even in the distant future, and well...they act like humans.

I'm fascinated with our development cycle, namely, the chasm between geometric social growth and exponential technological growth.

The boards ate my first reply to you. And it was perfect. So you get this mental flop sweat.

And Herbert is talking about a very distant four thousand years from now, and humans are just as petty and small as ever, albeit with more abilities and toys, so pretty much I'm just expanding on your post.

Did you edit/add your third paragraph or was it always there?

It was always there.

The boards have been slow lately, so there may be server problems. Sean's latest meme didn't show up for me until someone quoted it.

Paul's the most petulant mass-murdering man-god evah.

Just WAIT until you see what his son does in God Emperor.

Welcome to the Shadow Gallery.

Four is my favorite.

Four is my favorite.

@newshane: Ogami is normally in either a bathrobe or smoking jacket. Don't let that throw you off. He is a gracious host.

Four is my favorite.

@newshane: Ogami is normally in either a bathrobe or smoking jacket. Don't let that throw you off. He is a gracious host.

Was I inelegant?

(Puff puff)

Four is my favorite.

Was I inelegant?

(Puff puff)

I have no problem with you smoking in the tub when making introductions....but could you please not stand up while your doing it? :eek:

Four is my favorite.

Was I inelegant?

(Puff puff)

Not at all. I am just looking for something to do. I could talk about the weird floating guy from the movie with the bad skin. That's about all I remember. And Sting and the guy from Blue Velvet.

Four is my favorite.

Was I inelegant?

(Puff puff)

I have no problem with you smoking in the tub when making introductions....but could you please not stand up while your doing it? :eek:

I beg your pardon, sir, but that is my pipe.

Oh you mean the other thing.

Quite right.

Carry on.

Four is my favorite.

Was I inelegant?

(Puff puff)

Not at all. I am just looking for something to do. I could talk about the weird floating guy from the movie with the bad skin. That's about all I remember. And Sting and the guy from Blue Velvet.

Sounds like someone needs a phone call.

Incoming.

The tub will be making an appearance.

(See how much fun Tup is missing, trying to plan an arbitrary celebratory post?)

As I near the halfway point of Messiah, I see no awesome in Paul's potential moral awakening. I credit him with moral awakening because he appears to question the jihad, here & there, but only while doing things like abolishing constitutions by decree, upholding his godhead at every ritualized turn, & musing over the statistically relative military successes of the Emperor Hitler's 6 million killed & the Emperor Genghis Khan's 4 million killed whilst gloating over his own successful military slaughter of some 60 billion. All of that is what makes it only a potential moral awakening at this point.

Eadric speaks for me when Paul grants him an audience. Eadric speaks for me as Stilgar begs Paul permission to 'assassinate' him for his speech. The fishman is right: this religion is a fraud.

God created Arrakis to train the faithful? What God?

Paul's an engineered superman, but not God. That's the most significant break from Islam.

I love these books, Shellhead!

As I near the halfway point of Messiah, I see no awesome in Paul's potential moral awakening. I credit him with moral awakening because he appears to question the jihad, here & there, but only while doing things like abolishing constitutions by decree, upholding his godhead at every ritualized turn, & musing over the statistically relative military successes of the Emperor Hitler's 6 million killed & the Emperor Genghis Khan's 4 million killed whilst gloating over his own successful military slaughter of some 60 billion. All of that is what makes it only a potential moral awakening at this point.

Eadric speaks for me when Paul grants him an audience. Eadric speaks for me as Stilgar begs Paul permission to 'assassinate' him for his speech. The fishman is right: this religion is a fraud.

God created Arrakis to train the faithful? What God?

Paul's an engineered superman, but not God. That's the most significant break from Islam.

I love these books, Shellhead!

All I have to say is...keep reading. You'll come to appreciate Paul after learning to hate his son...they have two very different ways of handling the same problem; God Emperor Leto is apparently able to make all the hard decisions that his father could never make. I can't really say much more here without spoiling the fun.

But I will say that as evil as Paul may seem...he's just a drop in the bucket compared to what will come.

Reading these posts makes me feel bad.

I love Dune and have read it several times. But I read Dune Messiah once and was done with the series. I fly through Dune ever time I read it, but reading Messiah was a chore. I actually had to make two attempts to get through it and it's a shorter book.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a dip in quality between book one and two? If it's just me, what am I missing?