• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogami's Shadow Gallery!

7,518 posts in this topic

As I near the halfway point of Messiah, I see no awesome in Paul's potential moral awakening. I credit him with moral awakening because he appears to question the jihad, here & there, but only while doing things like abolishing constitutions by decree, upholding his godhead at every ritualized turn, & musing over the statistically relative military successes of the Emperor Hitler's 6 million killed & the Emperor Genghis Khan's 4 million killed whilst gloating over his own successful military slaughter of some 60 billion. All of that is what makes it only a potential moral awakening at this point.

Eadric speaks for me when Paul grants him an audience. Eadric speaks for me as Stilgar begs Paul permission to 'assassinate' him for his speech. The fishman is right: this religion is a fraud.

God created Arrakis to train the faithful? What God?

Paul's an engineered superman, but not God. That's the most significant break from Islam.

I love these books, Shellhead!

an EXCELLENT CHOICE FOR 30,000!!!!!!!!!!!

As I near the halfway point of Messiah, I see no awesome in Paul's potential moral awakening. I credit him with moral awakening because he appears to question the jihad, here & there, but only while doing things like abolishing constitutions by decree, upholding his godhead at every ritualized turn, & musing over the statistically relative military successes of the Emperor Hitler's 6 million killed & the Emperor Genghis Khan's 4 million killed whilst gloating over his own successful military slaughter of some 60 billion. All of that is what makes it only a potential moral awakening at this point.

Eadric speaks for me when Paul grants him an audience. Eadric speaks for me as Stilgar begs Paul permission to 'assassinate' him for his speech. The fishman is right: this religion is a fraud.

God created Arrakis to train the faithful? What God?

Paul's an engineered superman, but not God. That's the most significant break from Islam.

I love these books, Shellhead!

:applause:

Paul wars with thousands of years of reign of the Landsraad. In his mind, he knows he has done a great evil, but he contrasts that with the hundreds of millennia of even greater evils perpetrated in the name of civility and order.

And no, he is no god. but he plays one on t.v.

Reading these posts makes me feel bad.

I love Dune and have read it several times. But I read Dune Messiah once and was done with the series. I fly through Dune ever time I read it, but reading Messiah was a chore. I actually had to make two attempts to get through it and it's a shorter book.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a dip in quality between book one and two? If it's just me, what am I missing?

I wouldn't say "dip in quality" as much as "tonal shift".

The first book is the youthful exuberance of hope and change, while the second is the hard realities of leading a galaxy of disparate voices and legions of enemies.

I recall it every time I read them, but I don't regret it.

You really should maybe power through the fourth book just once.

I am a big fan of all 6 of Frank Herbert's and even his son's 2 to finish out the series.

I recently saw Lynch's Dune again, and with my kiddos for their first time!

I may have to go ahead and start the series again. This Summer would be a great time for me to read them.

Park texted me and he purchased the first volume today.

Anyone else want to read through these this Summer?

Fast and loose without a lot of demands of time or posting obligations?

The Sci Fi series?

I saw parts of the first one.

Did they do the first three books?

That had promise.

Someone will eventually do it right.

Of course, I don't understand why Hollywood hasn't done MORE classic science fiction novel adaptations.

The Sci Fi series?

That had promise.

Of course, I don't understand why Hollywood hasn't done MORE classic science fiction novel adaptations.

My favourite is the original idea for dune by jordoraky that made no sense.

Ill post a link from vice later that sums it up pretty well.

I better be more spoiler free in future posts. I've only ruined a book & a half so far. :cry:

What's the proper etiquette for Dune posts going forward? I'm going to read all the Herbert books back to back & would love the posting freedom I've had thus far but realize that could be a bad idea.

I'm far enough in to 2 to understand what is meant by drop or shift but I don't think the book is a fail. I think it is different than Dune, but not in its level of excellence.

The Sci Fi series?

That had promise.

I turned my friends on to it, hard-core dune freaks, and they all loved it.

It's not perfect, but it's much truer to the source material than the Lynch movie.

It's all available on YouTube...nothing to rent.

I better be more spoiler free in future posts. I've only ruined a book & a half so far. :cry:

What's the proper etiquette for Dune posts going forward? I'm going to read all the Herbert books back to back & would love the posting freedom I've had thus far but realize that could be a bad idea.

I'm far enough in to 2 to understand what is meant by drop or shift but I don't think the book is a fail. I think it is different than Dune, but not in its level of excellence.

Don't stop spoiling.

These books are almost forty years old. Keep commenting.

Let's just keep it to the book we're on, how about that?

The Sci Fi series?

That had promise.

I turned my friends on to it, hard-core dune freaks, and they all loved it.

It's not perfect, but it's much truer to the source material than the Lynch movie.

It's all available on YouTube...nothing to rent.

Yeah, that looks like the Sci-Fi channel's version.

Could you imagine if HBO or AMC picked this up? :o

Every book undoes the one before it, in my opinion. And I love it.

Discuss away. I will just skim any Dune posts real quick.

Mine are on my shelf calling my name.

I bought a nice copy of the complete, "The Book of the New Son" by Gene Wolf that may have to wait a few more months. :cry: