• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave and the Bold #28 Club
7 7

810 posts in this topic

Here's my entry to the club. It's in a CGC Blue Labeled 7.5 with WHITE pages.

It's easy to pick up a 9.2,9.4 copy but try finding a copy with White pages (lol).

scan0068.jpg

That`s a really nice looking book, I bet it would`ve gotten a really nice grade but for that big crease in the lower right corner.

It's easy to pick up a 9.2,9.4 copy but try finding a copy with White pages (lol).

scan0068.jpg

Interesting book...a great copy but it appears to have been printed without benefit of blue ink. Reminds me of this one in my collection. Both should have light blue backgrounds. (Mine is also has very weak reds, which yours doesn't have a problem with)

BB23.jpg

Never really noticed the lack of blue ink before. It doesn't have a faded look.

This copy originated from Canada. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Mine doesn't seem to be faded either, just has the colors missing. I assume it came off the press that way.

It doesn't take away from your book, imo. Mine, on the other hand...

scan0068.jpg

That`s a really nice looking book, I bet it would`ve gotten a really nice grade but for that big crease in the lower right corner.

Thanks, yes the crease is the killer, 7.5 is the highest it could ever get with the crease. In hand the crease is not as prominent, the scan seems to magnify it.

It has the eye appeal of a 9.0 . I bought it about 10 years ago as a 7.0 .I feel very fortunate to own it.

scan0068.jpg

Thanks, yes the crease is the killer, 7.5 is the highest it could ever get with the crease. In hand the crease is not as prominent, the scan seems to magnify it.

It has the eye appeal of a 9.0 . I bought it about 10 years ago as a 7.0 .I feel very fortunate to own it.

Does it break color? :whistle:

scan0068.jpg

hey Bob, there's something strange about your copy. Is it the scan or are the letters "AMERICA" really gray on your copy? And look at Jonn Jonnz cape, is it also grey? no blue at all?

I dont have a copy handy, but I seem to recall the letters being just CYAN/blue, without any black/grey plate at all.

scan0068.jpg

hey Bob, there's something strange about your copy. Is it the scan or are the letters "AMERICA" really gray on your copy? And look at Jonn Jonnz cape, is it also grey? no blue at all?

I dont have a copy handy, but I seem to recall the letters being just CYAN/blue, without any black/grey plate at all.

We discussed this a few pages ago...it's definitely missing the blues. I also posted a book that was missing blue and had weak reds. Looks like the guy watching the printing occasionally took a coffee break.

scan0068.jpg

We discussed this a few pages ago...it's definitely missing the blues. I also posted a book that was missing blue and had weak reds. Looks like the guy watching the printing occasionally took a coffee break.

I was there... read all that. What I meant was that while theres too little blue, I dont get why theres grey underneath the blue, especially in the logo. Thats a bright blue, almost 100 cyan. Your copy shows a mid grey. Almost like the grey was printed INSTEAD of the blue.

THAT would be exceptional. Thats what Im getting at. unless its just a scan issue.

scan0068.jpg

I was there... read all that. What I meant was that while theres too little blue, I dont get why theres grey underneath the blue, especially in the logo. Thats a bright blue, almost 100 cyan. Your copy shows a mid grey. Almost like the grey was printed INSTEAD of the blue.

THAT would be exceptional. Thats what Im getting at. unless its just a scan issue.

Hmmm...I see what you're saying. Maybe early in the print run and then they noticed they missed the blue? I think we need someone who's an expert on how printing worked back then. I really have no clue.

scan0068.jpg

Hmmm...I see what you're saying. Maybe early in the print run and then they noticed they missed the blue? I think we need someone who's an expert on how printing worked back then. I really have no clue.

So maybe I have what they call a First Day issue in the coin world ?!? Seriously, it's an interesting theory. The book is in a Bank Vault so I cannot state for sure if it is a scan issue.

I'll verify on my next visit to the Vault.

its probably a 20-30% grey under 100% cyan..... at least in the artwork. But I always saw the logo as having no black/gray.

however, Im blowing this out of proportion. its a 99% chance that the blues ALL have some black/grey in them. Theres only a 1% chance that any were printed with grey only. Probably a weak underinked cyan plate, faded since then, and a scan pushed away from blues.

its probably a 20-30% grey under 100% cyan..... at least in the artwork. But I always saw the logo as having no black/gray.

however, Im blowing this out of proportion. its a 99% chance that the blues ALL have some black/grey in them. Theres only a 1% chance that any were printed with grey only. Probably a weak underinked cyan plate, faded since then, and a scan pushed away from blues.

I've seen copies of Challengers 1 that appear to have little or no cyan....but they are rare. I also believe that B&B 34 copies exist with a grek plate over the cyan while most do not. It could be that they were printing errors that were discarded as spoiled and a few copies were taken home by press employees, making their way into the pool of surviving copies. A good way to discount sun fading is by studying the reds, as they fade at the fastest rate. If the book seems faded yet the reds are true....then a printing error will usually be the culprit. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. It almost looks like the JLA 7.5 was printed entirely without the cyan plate....maybe somene started running the cyan plate while the press was still loaded with black ( grey screen) (shrug)

Edited by jimjum12

Here's my entry into the club. I'm currently the only member of the purple club? :shrug: I think the book looks better than a Fine, but I was/am upset about the trimming. Bought when I couldn't tell restoration (bought back in 1989).

BraveBold28s.jpg

Here's my entry into the club. I'm currently the only member of the purple club? :shrug: I think the book looks better than a Fine, but I was/am upset about the trimming. Bought when I couldn't tell restoration (bought back in 1989).

BraveBold28s.jpg

Your book has excellent eye appeal. In general, CGC seems to hammer the grade on books with trimming though I did get one back with a 9.4 so it's hard to say.

In 1989, resto was not an evil practice as it is today. The average collector was not

on the lookout for resto. Today, most (including me) are paranoid about it.

Welcome to the club.