• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those Ignored Bronze Seconds....

9 posts in this topic

It's sort of interesting to me how we pay a lot of attention to bronze first appearances, but those second appearances are often ignored and overlooked, though no more common (and probably less common in HG)...

I only thought of this going through a long forgotten box and coming across various copies of Marvel Premiere 16 (Iron First) and Marvel Spotlight 3 (WBN).

I've always thought ASM 135 was a pretty awesome book (well, I love the cover anyway) and with some looking you can probably get a pretty nice copy for $20, whereas I just got a worn copy of 129 with a chunk out of an interior page for $20.

I'm pretty sure I paid nothing for those 16s and 3s above (although I'm also pretty sure I bought them close to 12-15 years ago). One of the Spotlight 3s had a $1 price tag on it and I'm pretty sure I remember when I bought it and who I bought it from (a guy who did a few shows and had some great prices, but last time I saw him I bought an FF Annual 2 from him that I didn't inspect only because the show promoter was literally pushing us out the door at the end of the day only to find the back cover cut off...I never saw him again). Oh sure, these aren't high grade copies (although some of the #16s are better than VF) and I'm almost certain I didn't even know they were second appearances at the time (I didn't have the same emory for useless info back then).

Hulk 182, recently, has garnered some respect (putting aside the whole 180 vs. 181 debate), but it's also a book you can probably get for $10-$15 in VG to Vg/Fine sort of condition. You'll have to shell out some money for a VF or better copy, true.

So bring on those seconds...I'll post some tonight!

It's sort of interesting to me how we pay a lot of attention to bronze first appearances, but those second appearances are often ignored and overlooked, though no more common (and probably less common in HG)...

I only thought of this going through a long forgotten box and coming across various copies of Marvel Premiere 16 (Iron First) and Marvel Spotlight 3 (WBN).

I've always thought ASM 135 was a pretty awesome book (well, I love the cover anyway) and with some looking you can probably get a pretty nice copy for $20, whereas I just got a worn copy of 129 with a chunk out of an interior page for $20.

I'm pretty sure I paid nothing for those 16s and 3s above (although I'm also pretty sure I bought them close to 12-15 years ago). One of the Spotlight 3s had a $1 price tag on it and I'm pretty sure I remember when I bought it and who I bought it from (a guy who did a few shows and had some great prices, but last time I saw him I bought an FF Annual 2 from him that I didn't inspect only because the show promoter was literally pushing us out the door at the end of the day only to find the back cover cut off...I never saw him again). Oh sure, these aren't high grade copies (although some of the #16s are better than VF) and I'm almost certain I didn't even know they were second appearances at the time (I didn't have the same emory for useless info back then).

Hulk 182, recently, has garnered some respect (putting aside the whole 180 vs. 181 debate), but it's also a book you can probably get for $10-$15 in VG to Vg/Fine sort of condition. You'll have to shell out some money for a VF or better copy, true.

So bring on those seconds...I'll post some tonight!

ASM 135 is an awesome book, but didn't the Punisher appear previously in #134? Perhaps for a page or two.

Marvel Premiere 16 is a killer BA comic, as it's got the second part of Iron Fist's origin and is quite dark for a funny book. It seems to get good coin for HG copies though, so it's hardly under-rated.