• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT SUES JIM SHOOTER

145 posts in this topic

Comment from David Lapham, Valiant & Defiant collaborator with Jim:

Just heard about this from Jonathan Swinney. A shame. I wish Jim all the luck in the world fending off this ridiculousness. Amazing but not surprising from that group. There's a reason most of the old crew had no interest in working with them and...well...there you go....

A desperate move by desperate men. Just a real shame.

Dark Horse has products. Whenever Dark Horse makes an announcement, someone, somewhere,

says, "Who is Dark Horse? What do they do? What do they have?"

They get an immediate answer. There's a Dark Horse product that's new,

one that's a year old, one that's 10 years old, and one that's coming out next year.

Constant marketing is great for continuous catalogs... like Dark Horse.

VEI was creating a universe... at least a year away... rolling out in 2010.

Why should they shout to the world in December 2008 that nothing's ready?

Sure... VEI could have gotten people excited earlier.

But it wouldn't have sped up the books any.

People don't get in line two years early.

What a bunch of double-talk. Fans have been waiting in line a lot longer than two years. They've been waiting since the Acclaim auction, back in 2005. Even BEFORE Dino & Co. bought the rights, and John Taddeo was going to own them, before he backed out (remember Zoom Suit???)

You know and I know that Dino has NEVER been one to inform anyone about anything. He has kept people guessing and speculating LONG before he ever published the Harbinger HC. What better people to keep informed than all of us, when we were a close-knit group on the Valiant board? He has pissed off more people through his silence and foot-dragging, than if he had made ANY announcements at all -- regardless of whether they came to fruition or not.

Dino and I were friends long before he bought the rights to the characters. When I first made copies of the Valiant Continuity Bible (I bought from Bob Layton -- Valiant's old Editor-In-Chief) for board members, he was one of the first to ask me for one. Yet when I wanted to make copies for new board members a year later, RIGHT after he aquired the rights, he threatened to sue me over it. I was making copies at my cost, just to keep the spirit of Valiant alive among us friends, and he pulls that . And why? Because he had the notorious Justin working on HIS OWN version of the VCB....remember that fiasco??? VK can't make copies for his friends because Dino wanted to 'cash in' on EVERYTHING Valiant. I found it to be hypocritical. He could have just explained it to me rationally, but no....I get treatened by lawyers. When Justin ripped him off, and it never got made, I thought it served him right.

At one time, I could have been his biggest supporter, and bought multiple copies of everything, to collect and pass along to new readers. After he threatened to sue me, I decided that no matter how good his relaunch was, there was NO WAY I would EVER support it. This seems to be his modus operandi in dealing with everyone. Plus he stole my idea for signed fan project books everyone at vf loves and cherishes, while I ultimately got the boot from your board. That is because you are a suck-up to Dino, just like you're a suck-up to CGC.

Your website is very informative about Valiant....heck, I even added quite a bit of info to it on things that you didn't even know about. When I asked you to erase my posts after you booted me, you refused to do so, because of all the good info you'd lose in the process. Well, I hope your board dies the death it deserves, like VEI. The Valiant Collector's Society board is where the true spirit of Valiant lives. I don't expect you to agree. Just look for yourself. A slew of Valiant's old alumni have flocked to the site over this past week in support of Jim, while you let your board members make sick jokes about how Jim looks like a greasier pock-marked version of Richard Gere. That's some respect for the man who started it all. Without him, your website would be a blank page. If you hadn't booted me, I would have surely left of my own accord by now.....ESPECIALLY now...Have you NO class at all???

You may be a good number cruncher for CGC, but you'll never be bright enough to ever see my point. VK is poison....lol...I hope you're happy being Lucky Pierre between Dino and Jason. (thumbs u

I just read my post again, and I just read your reply again. :foryou:

87197.jpg.89ec0bc3bb498e719f5986ddc2787fcb.jpg

C'mon, guys. Don't stop now. This is the best Valiant related post I have seen in a long time. Waiting for VEI to do something was like watching paint dry, but at least here we have some entertainment. :popcorn:

Lawsuits cost money. Just pursuing this lawsuit will probably cost both sides considerable amounts of money. It will probably also hold up any Dark Horse related activity with the Gold Key characters.

Everyone suffers, especially the fans. (shrug)

Lawsuits cost money. Just pursuing this lawsuit will probably cost both sides considerable amounts of money. It will probably also hold up any Dark Horse related activity with the Gold Key characters.

Everyone suffers, especially the fans. (shrug)

:cry:

Just for gits and shiggles, I'm going to try to respond here. :foryou:

What a bunch of double-talk. Fans have been waiting in line a lot longer than two years. They've been waiting since the Acclaim auction, back in 2005. Even BEFORE Dino & Co. bought the rights, and John Taddeo was going to own them, before he backed out (remember Zoom Suit???)

I said (in summary), "VEI didn't need to announce anything in 2008, that's over a year early."

You said, "Remember 2005? That was longer than two years ago."

I guess my reply would be... "Umm... ok... excellent non sequitur, dude." :applause:

You know and I know that Dino has NEVER been one to inform anyone about anything. He has kept people guessing and speculating LONG before he ever published the Harbinger HC. What better people to keep informed than all of us, when we were a close-knit group on the Valiant board?

If he has never been one to inform anyone about anything, then why are you so upset that he didn't inform anyone about anything? (shrug)

He has pissed off more people through his silence and foot-dragging, than if he had made ANY announcements at all -- regardless of whether they came to fruition or not.

You're right, it's always worse to be disappointed than to be uninformed.

I remember as a kid, I always wanted Santa to tell me what he was going to bring me, then NOT bring it.

Being totally surprised by something great on December 25th totally sucked. :sumo:

Dino and I were friends long before he bought the rights to the characters. When I first made copies of the Valiant Continuity Bible (I bought from Bob Layton -- Valiant's old Editor-In-Chief) for board members, he was one of the first to ask me for one.

Are you talking to me? If so, you don't need to tell me that Bob Layton was Valiant's old Editor-In-Chief.

If you're not talking to me, then you probably shouldn't quote me in your reply.

Somehow, this whole section of your post just sounds like sad Valiant-insider name-dropping.

But that would be too transparent... surely that's not what you intended. :juggle:

Yet when I wanted to make copies for new board members a year later, RIGHT after he aquired the rights, he threatened to sue me over it. I was making copies at my cost, just to keep the spirit of Valiant alive among us friends, and he pulls that . And why?

Because it was illegal? ???

Because he had the notorious Justin working on HIS OWN version of the VCB.

Awww... I was so close. :boo:

...remember that fiasco??? VK can't make copies for his friends because Dino wanted to 'cash in' on EVERYTHING Valiant.

You make an investment, then you try to cash in. What's that called again? hm

I found it to be hypocritical.

No, the correct answer was "logical"... say it with me, "lah-jih-kul". :baiting:

He could have just explained it to me rationally, but no....I get treatened by lawyers.

Really? Do you have an official cease-and-desist letter? That would really be worth something. :wishluck:

Wait! You said "treatened"... is that like Halloween?

Did those lawyers give you a bit-sized Snickers?

Lucky. :D

When Justin ripped him off, and it never got made, I thought it served him right.

It led directly to the Valiant wiki on the official VEI website that is not making Dinesh a penny,

even though it is far more detailed than the VCB ever was.

That Dinesh "hypocrite" guy enhanced and then freely distributed his own copyrights to the world online.

You're right... that guy's a jerkwadpoopoohead. :gossip:

At one time, I could have been his biggest supporter, and bought multiple copies of everything, to collect and pass along to new readers. After he threatened to sue me, I decided that no matter how good his relaunch was, there was NO WAY I would EVER support it.

You're right again, when someone protects their own copyrights... that's just unforgivable.

Then they enhance the content and give it away online... preposterous! :screwy:

This seems to be his modus operandi in dealing with everyone.

Keeping his mouth shut and giving away things... what a horrible operandus to mod. (tsk)

Plus he stole my idea for signed fan project books everyone at vf loves and cherishes

Autographed comics for Valiant fans was a fantastic idea that you had in 2004.

Never mind that Joe Petrilak did limited autographed comics for Valiant fans in the 1990s,

YOU were the REAL visionary for the new millenium! Congrats! :idea:

while I ultimately got the boot from your board.

Repeated curse-laden rants against multiple individuals for several years is always those other people's fault.

You're sooooo right. How did I miss that? doh!

That is because you are a suck-up to Dino

... because I provide a service for no pay. :sorry:

just like you're a suck-up to CGC.

...because I provide a service for no pay. :sorry::sorry:

Your website is very informative about Valiant....heck, I even added quite a bit of info to it on things that you didn't even know about.

I knew that my site being awesome was thanks to you. So, thanks man! You friggin' rock. :headbang:

When I asked you to erase my posts after you booted me, you refused to do so,

... because archived topics with missing posts are SO easy for thousands of other members to try to read?

... because your 19th apology and request to re-join the board would have no record of the stunts you pulled 18 times earlier.

:slapfight:

...because of all the good info you'd lose in the process.

That was going to be my next guess. :tonofbricks:

Well, I hope your board dies the death it deserves, like VEI.

Thanks! Since they deserve to be around forever, you are just too sweet. :luhv:

The Valiant Collector's Society board is where the true spirit of Valiant lives.

You are so right.

I'm so happy that you've been a member of the VCS since September 2008...

my sad self has only been on that board since February 2008.

V-C-S, V-C-S... kick that ball... hold that line... fight, fight, fight! Valiant SPIRIT! :banana:

I don't expect you to agree.

I don't expect you to have expected that I'd reply that I didn't expect you'd agree with my other statements, either. Unless you did.

(But I knew that would happen). :shy:

Just look for yourself. A slew of Valiant's old alumni have flocked to the site over this past week in support of Jim,

Ok. Be right back.

:busy:

Ok, I'm back. You were right... five people.

That's just slew-rific. Slew really slew what slew were talking about.

I feel like such a slewser. :flamed:

... while you let your board members make sick jokes about how Jim looks like a greasier pock-marked version of Richard Gere.

One guy on one board made one comment that was out of line... in 2004.

That same guy was kicked off the board later... clearly he was bad news.

Kind of like how you (one guy) just repeated it (one comment) right here (one board) in 2009.

You're right. That's just sick. :sick:

That's some respect for the man who started it all. Without him, your website would be a blank page.

That guy that said that bad thing about Jim in 2004 is a bad dude... luckily no one repeats it 5 years later.

Well, almost no one.

:hi:

If you hadn't booted me, I would have surely left of my own accord by now.....ESPECIALLY now...Have you NO class at all???

No class at all. When I taught grad school last fall... I had a class then.

Right now I'm just finishing up my disseration and not teaching.

No class at all.

:cry:

You may be a good number cruncher for CGC, but you'll never be bright enough to ever see my point.

I'd probably just bring a flashlight, rather than relying on my own luminescence.

Or, I could bring my friend... Ms. Borealis.

:insane:

VK is poison....lol...

Is this a quote? Did I say that? About you? Whatever could have made me say something so toxic?

(:

I hope you're happy being Lucky Pierre between Dino and Jason. (thumbs u

Lucky Pierre... hmmm... sorry... had to Google that one.

I see it's an "adult" reference from 1961.

Are you REALLY that old? :preach:

SORRY... I SHOULD HAVE TYPED MY RESPONSES IN ALL CAPS SO THAT YOU COULD HEAR THEM BETTER.

<3 Love-ya-lots <3 ,

G

Gee Greg, Sorry if I made you miss 'Survivor' while you pondered your response all evening. They got rid of Yaz. l didn't know you cared so much. Does this mean I can expect another Rusty Trombone in the near future? You have such a talent...

And you used almost ALL the emoticons! Extra points for that!

Here's one you didn't use: :roflmao: <<< but it's not me laughing....

...it's me giving you a Cleveland Steamer. lol

For your extra points, you get the chorus line:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:::banana::banana::banana::banana:

(thumbs u

Gee Greg, Sorry if I made you miss 'Survivor' while you pondered your response all evening. They got rid of Yaz. l didn't know you cared so much. Does this mean I can expect another Rusty Trombone in the near future? You have such a talent...

And you used almost ALL the emoticons! Extra points for that!

Here's one you didn't use: :roflmao: <<< but it's not me laughing....

...it's me giving you a Cleveland Steamer. lol

For your extra points, you get the chorus line:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:::banana::banana::banana::banana:

(thumbs u

:blahblah:

I was actually saving it for an occasion such as your reply above.

:roflmao:

Thanks for setting that one up for me.

:takeit:

Here's another one I missed you complete :censored:-head.

Lucky Pierre... Rusty Trombone... Cleveland Steamer

Umm... I think it's time for you to buy some new videos. :o

'Nuff said. :troll:

Wow. That is heartbreaking. As a lifelong fan of Jim Shooter, I hope it isn't true. But the firm behind the complaint is a great firm and the complaint is verified (signed under penalty of perjury). I find it hard to believe that the Mitchell Silberberg firm would have their client sign something under penalty of perjury that it couldn't prove. And if what the complaint alleges is true, Shooter is in deep sheet, and the chances of the Valiant Universe ever being revived with him at the helm are slim to none. :(

I have been given permission to post this public document on file

with the New York Supreme Court - Case #602946-2009

(Dated September 21, 2009)

http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/6029462009_COMPLAINT.PDF

I don't know what the hell is going on here, but it rules!

No, it doesn't. :(

Here's VK, who is telling me to get over a perceived "grudge" I don't even remember, slighting Greg (valiantman) and wishing him ill for deservedly kicking him off valiantfans.com long ago. Here he is lying again about all his fabled altruism. Here he is wishing ill on the owners of VEI, whose financial stake in the sucess of their business is enormous.

It sucks.

It probably sucks if you're familiar with all of the history, but for those who aren't, it's just noise. zzz

Who let evil greg out of the box in the basement???? I think he's been in there so long he's channeling RMA... :flamed:

You know, sometimes a pimple just needs to be popped. :grin:

OK, there is no way any other reply by anyone could top the vivisection you just did of VK, so let's just let it die there. No need to address him anymore. lol

Seriously, he's a pointless distraction from an interesting topic. Can we just ignore him?

Sincerely,

Wanna-be member of the Valiant Mafia, whatever that is

Who let evil greg out of the box in the basement???? I think he's been in there so long he's channeling RMA... :flamed:

You know, sometimes a pimple just needs to be popped. :grin:

OK, there is no way any other reply by anyone could top the vivisection you just did of VK, so let's just let it die there. No need to address him anymore. lol

Seriously, he's a pointless distraction from an interesting topic. Can we just ignore him?

^^

Sincerely,

Wanna-be member of the Valiant Mafia, whatever that is

I'll make a few calls. :gossip:

87220.jpg.cc7d330a68505c6e4e5c334028d680be.jpg