• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, The Meta said:

I have a graded complete run, plus an entire longbox full of nothing but Tick

I have a few of the FCBD lol and a slabbed #1, but the cartoon came out at the right time as a kid!

The Tick was "different" and came on after "eek the cat", was a crazy time for cartoons. I collect the Tick out of nostalgia, but didn't keep nicer copies, my #1 is 8.5.

Still a longbox full of memories and a slabbed run fulfilment, is what's up! :960450673_cheersemoji:

On 11/12/2021 at 12:07 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have a few of the FCBD lol and a slabbed #1, but the cartoon came out at the right time as a kid!

The Tick was "different" and came on after "eek the cat", was a crazy time for cartoons. I collect the Tick out of nostalgia, but didn't keep nicer copies, my #1 is 8.5.

Still a longbox full of memories and a slabbed run fulfilment, is what's up! :960450673_cheersemoji:

I had just started collecting comics when The Tick cartoon came out and my first reaction to it was "They can't do that!"

I was hooked, I didn't even know The Tick was a comic until years later

My first ever graded comic is a Tick 1 SE 9.8 SS Edlund with a Tick and Arthur sketch I found on ebay. Lead me to these forums and here we are 

On 11/12/2021 at 1:11 PM, The Meta said:

I had just started collecting comics when The Tick cartoon came out and my first reaction to it was "They can't do that!"

I was hooked, I didn't even know The Tick was a comic until years later

My first ever graded comic is a Tick 1 SE 9.8 SS Edlund with a Tick and Arthur sketch I found on ebay. Lead me to these forums and here we are 

lol my reaction was the same! I figured it as a comic, but I didn't pick it up either until later.

That was back when, the idea seemed new and different for sure! either cause I was kid or lol 

This thread is long running which is cool, still there hopefully will be renewed efforts with the character, I hope! 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/12/2021 at 12:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol my reaction was the same! I figured it as a comic, but I didn't pick it up either until later.

That was back when, the idea seemed new and different for sure! either cause I was kid or lol 

This thread is long running which is cool, still there hopefully will be renewed efforts with the character, I hope! 

Same, another animated series with the same tongue in cheek humor would be ideal right now, considering how wide the audience is with superheroes 

The mockery and endearment that the original cartoon had was simply magnificent 

I have many slabs worth more. I've been offered double what I've paid for it. I'm extremely happy I've never traded or sold this, and considering the last person to approach me about it was very convincing, I've decided I'll never part with it

20211112_122359.thumb.jpg.02b8138c7a9a92b2de8dac7879e607cc.jpg

Most of the rest of my graded Ticks. Still have to put away a few, will have to zoom in to read, but they're mostly there. I'm missing a few reprints, the ashcan and of course the newsletters. Those skyrocketed in price before I even knew about them and went beyond reach.

20211112_122216.thumb.jpg.010f5755b572af261ab2be4bc380ec54.jpg

On 11/12/2021 at 11:31 AM, The Meta said:

I have many slabs worth more. I've been offered double what I've paid for it. I'm extremely happy I've never traded or sold this, and considering the last person to approach me about it was very convincing, I've decided I'll never part with it

Most of the rest of my graded Ticks. Still have to put away a few, will have to zoom in to read, but they're mostly there. I'm missing a few reprints, the ashcan and of course the newsletters. Those skyrocketed in price before I even knew about them and went beyond reach.

Dang dude!  If you listed these up on the CGC Registry, I bet you probably would come close to beating me!

For anyone new to collecting Tick comics check out TickComics.com.  It's just a list of all the Tick comics that have been printed.  It is NOT a retail site nor does it even give values to the comics - it' just a complete list with notes.  (I try to work closely with New England Comics to keep it as accurate as possible)

On 11/18/2021 at 11:22 AM, Brian Bollinger said:

For anyone new to collecting Tick comics check out TickComics.com.  It's just a list of all the Tick comics that have been printed.  It is NOT a retail site nor does it even give values to the comics - it' just a complete list with notes.  (I try to work closely with New England Comics to keep it as accurate as possible)

I use your site all the time!  Thanks for all the hard work you put into your site.  The Tick - Compendium of Comics (tickcomics.com)

On 11/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, The Meta said:

Just noticed on ebay that a 9.8 SE 1 is going for 2500 with nearly 60 people watching

Is this for real? I didn't realize Tick was starting to climb. Thought the last we would see of Tick was the Amazon series hype, which ended up flopping 

On 12/23/2021 at 5:30 AM, The Meta said:

Just noticed on ebay that a 9.8 SE 1 is going for 2500 with nearly 60 people watching

Is this for real? I didn't realize Tick was starting to climb. Thought the last we would see of Tick was the Amazon series hype, which ended up flopping 

It sold at that price or it's listed at that price?

On 12/23/2021 at 2:30 AM, The Meta said:

Hard to tell the future of The Tick. I remember when Star Wars was tumbling off the page like all good things, like Indiana Jones and Star Trek, and then Disney surprised the world when they purchased the rights to Star Wars from George Lucas, and we all know what happened after that.  They did the same thing with Pixar, which I enjoyed when they were the little guy at the Animation Art Festivals.    

In regards to The Tick and The Fox Kids - Saban Entertainment...

The Fox Kids/Saban Entertainment library today is mostly owned by The Walt Disney Company, with a few exceptions:  All of the Power Rangers franchise and PR-related shows are now owned by Hasbro through Allspark/eOne, which acquired the assets of Saban Brands in 2018, while Digimon has reverted to Toei Animation.  In May 2008, Bennett Schneir was hired to lead its film division while Hasbro also reacquired animated series based on their properties from Sunbow Productions.  After two attempts to purchase or merge with a filmed entertainment company, Dreamworks Animation and Lionsgate, fell apart due to pricing differences.  Hasbro Studios moved to create a full-fledged movie studio.  Thus in October 2017, the company hired Greg Mooradian, currently working at Fox 2000, as president of Allspark Pictures starting January 2018.  In November 2017, a five-year exclusive distribution and production pact was signed between Hasbro and Paramount Pictures for Allspark Pictures and Allspark Animation films.  Plus Meghan McCarthy was promoted to head up for Allspark Animation.  

What happens in 2022, is left to be determined...which may be Disney, if Hasbro's Allspark fails to turn a profit. 

On 12/23/2021 at 12:09 PM, vsndesigns said:

Hard to tell the future of The Tick. I remember when Star Wars was tumbling off the page like all good things, like Indiana Jones and Star Trek, and then Disney surprised the world when they purchased the rights to Star Wars from George Lucas, and we all know what happened after that.  They did the same thing with Pixar, which I enjoyed when they were the little guy at the Animation Art Festivals.    

In regards to The Tick and The Fox Kids - Saban Entertainment...

The Fox Kids/Saban Entertainment library today is mostly owned by The Walt Disney Company, with a few exceptions:  All of the Power Rangers franchise and PR-related shows are now owned by Hasbro through Allspark/eOne, which acquired the assets of Saban Brands in 2018, while Digimon has reverted to Toei Animation.  In May 2008, Bennett Schneir was hired to lead its film division while Hasbro also reacquired animated series based on their properties from Sunbow Productions.  After two attempts to purchase or merge with a filmed entertainment company, Dreamworks Animation and Lionsgate, fell apart due to pricing differences.  Hasbro Studios moved to create a full-fledged movie studio.  Thus in October 2017, the company hired Greg Mooradian, currently working at Fox 2000, as president of Allspark Pictures starting January 2018.  In November 2017, a five-year exclusive distribution and production pact was signed between Hasbro and Paramount Pictures for Allspark Pictures and Allspark Animation films.  Plus Meghan McCarthy was promoted to head up for Allspark Animation.  

What happens in 2022, is left to be determined...which may be Disney, if Hasbro's Allspark fails to turn a profit. 

Interesting turn of events. 

I'm wondering how much pull Ben Edlund has left regarding property rights and if he would be willing to work with Disney

From recent comments I've gleaned online, he is done with Tick for now, but would be nice if he handed off to the producers from the 90s cartoon.

The live action was never going to cut it, I've always known, but a cartoon has very high appeal

Guess we'll have to wait a few years and see what develops 

For Tick comic values on eBay defiantly don't go by the asking/listing price.  Go by the SOLD price.  I've seen guys LISTING #2 uncut CGC 9.4 for $45,000!  (at the time of this note it's been "reduced" to 19,000) I've also SEEN the same with a CGC 9.8 SELL for $2,000.  Both prices within a year of each other.  I may be way off - but I'm pretty sure the comic didn't go up in value by $43,000 plus for a lower grade.  I've been actively tracking Tick comics for about 4-5 years now.  I'm still surprised at some of the low listing prices I see on eBay as well as some of the high asking prices.  Just keep your eyes peeled and wait.

I also occasionally will post places that I'm willing to pay cash for high grade (CGC graded only) Tick comics if the prices are fair (market value) AND if it is an upgrade to a comic already in my collection.  I'm not really into buying/trading for profit (or loss).  I'm just trying to build the best Tick comic collection I can.  I don't buy what I don't need.  I'm not looking for duplicates of rare comics.  Just one of each comic.  I'm only missing two that I know about ...and I know who owns one of them.  (cough cough VSNDesigns cough cough).  But we're good friends and help each other with out with our collections so it's all good and fun.  :-)

I think half the fun is the hunt.

And since it's still the Christmas season - Enjoy this original Sean Wang cover art from the Tick Giant Christmas Cavalcade.  (It was a Christmas present from my wife)

IMG_1916.jpeg

Edited by Brian Bollinger

People can list their items for whatever they want to

Whether they sell or not is a different story  

Not up to anyone to tell someone how much they should sell something for, thats pretty rude

Either make an offer or move along

And no, that isn't mine up for sale at the moment, and good luck to them selling it. If it sells, I doubt I can get that much for mine, but whoever bought it, then they felt it was worth it