• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

Check this out. I got to chat with the guy who collects some awesome original comic book art and he shared a pic of this one that he eventually did a write-up on how he got it created. Thought you might get a chuckle out of this!

119z9s3.jpg

That is truly an incredible piece to own!

Okay, this one you've seen before online in the RAW...and I'm pretty sure it's been done before but I haven't seen any images of it. The other one ...which I got a grade of .0, well thanks to ValientMan, I think they're not going to grade it. Wait, that came out all wrong! hehehe... Thanks to ValientMan, I now understand what a grade of .0 is. ...okay, I'm rambling...let me first put this one on up, I think it's pretty darn cool...since I got a 9.4!!! Oh, yeah!!!

t6y1du.jpg

Umm, yup :takeit:

Well the guys at CGC were kind enough to follow up with me and let me know that I only received one image back since the .0 graded one was not graded and therefore will not get an image made of it. Overall my experience with CGC has been pretty good so far. I really don't know what I expected to get for 5 bucks for the grader notes, which isn't necessary since one receives the grader notes for free for the comics that you have graded (heads up for any newer newbies than myself). I suppose I was hoping to see some vast insight on my graded comic along with the process that goes along with that...wow wouldn't that be nice. Of course, if that actually happened we probably would see a huge lag time considering the amount of comics there are out there. They did give me a nice PDF of the 2 sentence grader notes which will go nice along with my 9.4 Newsletter No. 14 slab. "Consequences, Schmonsequences, as long as I'm rich (I wish!)." "Daffy Duck... I'm a happy miser!"

Okay, this one you've seen before online in the RAW...and I'm pretty sure it's been done before but I haven't seen any images of it. The other one ...which I got a grade of .0, well thanks to ValientMan, I think they're not going to grade it. Wait, that came out all wrong! hehehe... Thanks to ValientMan, I now understand what a grade of .0 is. ...okay, I'm rambling...let me first put this one on up, I think it's pretty darn cool...since I got a 9.4!!! Oh, yeah!!!

t6y1du.jpg

Umm, yup :takeit:

The CGC grades newsletters now like NEC?!

:o

That''s fantastic!

In regards to the .0 grading, I was referring to my second comic book that I submitted. Well, I finally got official word from CGC that my The Tick No. 2 Yellow Ashcan can't be graded because...

"The reason we can't grade that ashcan is because it is too easy to replicate. Where would you like me to credit you? To your account here with us or to a specific credit card?"

and

"No sorry we won't be able to grade that ashcan even if someone is vouching"

I think the world of CGC and I am definitely going to be sending in more comic books. For being my first experience with Grading and slabbing my own comic books it has been an absolute thrill and has only added to the fun of collecting. That being said....here is my .0 graded comic book.

307q8sg.jpg

THE TICK YELLOW ASHCAN EDITION 2. THIS BOOK IS A NON-AUTOGRAPHED INHOUSE PROOF AND PREDATES THE 1ST PUBLISHED HI-RISE HIJINX! IN SEPTEMBER 1988. WRITER: BEN EDLUND; INKER: MAX BANKS; LETTERER: BOB POLIO; EDITOR GEORGE SUAREZ; ART DIRECTOR: BOB POLIO; PRODUCTION MANAGER: BILL DEVINE; ASSISTANT EDITOR: LARRY BOYD; PENCILLER: BED EDLUND; PUBLISHER: GEORGE SUAREZ; COLORIST: BOB POLIO. FROM THE ULTIMATE TICK FANSITE!: "The Tick #2: Hi-Rise HiJinx! This is the second issue of The Tick and it wraps up the Tick and Caped Wonder story. Tick tracks down Clark Oppenheimer at the Weekly World Planet and proposes that they combine forces to defend the city (You can be the sidekick, Okay?) but Clark wants none of that. Tick inadvertantly gets a job at the paper as the crossword puzzle editor and he hangs out making Clark miserable. He eventually makes Clark mad enough that a fight ensues and Tick leaves in a daze for other adventures (but not before breaking Clark's Secret Hypnotic Disguise Glasses). The funniest things in this issue are all the spoofs on Superman. At the paper, Clark works with Billy, an annoying young photographer and Perry, the domineering chief editor, who are both carbon copies of the staff of The Daily Planet from Superman. Tick breaks into Clark's desk and finds his magic green crystal and uses it to converse with Marlon Brando (Superman's father from the first Superman movie) and creates Clark's 'Fortress of Fortitude' (which later melts). The classic, though, is when Tick tells Clark that he has the one thing that he is vulnerable to, Ottercreekite! Tick actually had a green eraser, but it was enough to freak Clark out. This issue features these Superheroes:

The Tick, The Caped Wonder / Clark Oppenheimer, and Arthur (background only) This issues features these Villains:

One Ninja (the staff Ninja for the Weekly World Planet)"

My favorite part about this Ashcan are of course the redlines made by the editor. On the last scan you can see the redline that says, "Ding!" was the only comment that made the final cut. I never gave much thought to the editorial phase of a comic until I saw that correction. By inserting "Ding!", I could visualize the elevator reaching it's designated floor and making that determinate sound. I also noticed that none of the pages have been numbered yet. The story is complete in this ashcan and the backcover is just plain yellow. BTW, if I haven't mentioned recently...thanks to all those great people at New England Comics and...#bringbackTheTick

This isn't one of the one's that was marketed for sale. Some of those were originally advertised as autographed copies and they came in multiple color covers. Others were sent to comic book distributors back then to preview the series of which over 15 distributors received a copy. Again, this was not one of those. This one is the real McCoy that was used in house and George Suarez did the editing and Bob Polio did the lettering. If you look at the bottom right hand corner of the magazine you can see where the red line "ding!" which was later printed on it by Bob Polio. I received this gem from William Devine, Jr aka Bill Devine who was the Production Manager. It's a great piece of memorabilia that truly shows what goes into the production of a first class comic book.

Sorry Glenn aka PeasOfCrap, the book is not for sale. However, my wife says $7,000.00 will pay off our car, so yeah, for that amount, I can part with it. I have all my correspondence from the guys I mentioned above.

Vic out

Sorry Glenn aka PeasOfCrap, the book is not for sale. However, my wife says $7,000.00 will pay off our car, so yeah, for that amount, I can part with it. I have all my correspondence from the guys I mentioned above.

Vic out

lol

Glenn's a good guy. It's just refreshing to see him experience some 'pay my price or back in The Collection it goes' goodness.

:baiting: to Glenn

Vic out

lol

Glenn's a good guy. It's just refreshing to see him experience some 'pay my price or back in The Collection it goes' goodness.

:baiting: to Glenn

The Collection!

I understand CGCs decision, too bad as It's a great piece of Tick history.

I wonder who has Bill Devine's copy of the first ashcan? :hi:

If you need it, let me know! :devil: Enter the OCD

;)

Edited by PeasOfCrap

They won't down grade it due to not having it witnessed by CGC. It just won't be given a witnessed Signature Series yellow label. Which really does not matter if it is for your personal collection and the sole reason of having it graded is for preservation though.

It's another awesome piece!

They won't down grade it due to not having it witnessed by CGC. It just won't be given a witnessed Signature Series yellow label. Which really does not matter if it is for your personal collection and the sole reason of having it graded is for preservation though.

It's another awesome piece!

Thanks IntoAnother! I'm gonna package er up tonight!

It will get downgraded as a Universal (blue label) but not for a Qualified (green label). I believe you can just note which way you want to go on the submission form. I would just call customer service to verify how to indicate that on the form.