• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the single best comic you've ever read?

60 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I thought I'd just throw a little question out there this morning, and see what kind of interesting answers we get.

What is the single best issue of any comic you remember reading? Maybe the one where the story really hit home for you, or the art, dialogue and story meshed together so beautifully. Or maybe it's a comic that brings back special memories every time you read it. Maybe it's even the first comic book that hooked you on comic collecting.

Or to put it another way, if you were stuck on a deserted island, which one comic book would you choose to have with you, to read over and over again?

Daredevil #181. First runner-up: ASM #121. Second runner-up: Daredevil #227.

Gene

My top choices are the same, but I'd add DD 228 as my personal favorite.

Probably one of Greggy's DCs because toilet paper will be a commodity, no? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Damn traitor! 893censored-thumb.gif

shocked.gif

I buy my DCs every week! When's the last time YOU supported the cause?!?!!? ooo.gif

sorry.gif

Probably one of Greggy's DCs because toilet paper will be a commodity, no? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Damn traitor! 893censored-thumb.gif

shocked.gif

I buy my DCs every week! When's the last time YOU supported the cause?!?!!? ooo.gif

sorry.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

I support the DC back issue market! laugh.gif

Great choices everyone! I was thinking more of one single issue of a comic book, so TPB's, or any multiple issue arcs would be out, but I suppose I would include graphic novels along with a single comic book, as they're generally a self-contained story. But, what the heck, choose your favorite anything!! thumbsup2.gif

Great choices everyone! I was thinking more of one single issue of a comic book, so any multiple issue arcs would be out

I guess I don't have a favorite then, as every single issue that I remember has been part of a larger story. Starlin Captain Marvel/Warlock, Spidey Clone (original), Watchmen, X-Men Dark Phoenix, etc.

There was a "Whatever Happened To...?" series that ran in the back of the old DC Comics Presents. One of them revolved around the Crimson Avenger, the hero of the pre-Batman Detective Comics of the late 1930's. It showed him coming out of retirement after receiving a diagnosis of terminal cancer and ultimately dying an anonomous death in an explosion while fighting drug smugglers. However, hours before he died he saved a Hispanic baby who had fallen out of a high-rise window, and the grateful mother of that baby passes the memory of his heroism on to her baby.

That's my favorite modern story, from the late 1980's. It was only like 8 pages long, though, and probably wouldn't stand the test of time on a desert island.

As a follow-up to my own post, I had NO idea who the Crimson Avenger was when I read that story, but he immediately became one of my favorite heroes. Now, as an adult GA collector, I have more than one copy of each of the 2 issues of Detective Comics that feature the Crimson Avenger on the cover (#22 and #34, I believe). Funny how stuff like that can totally affect your collecting tendencies years later.

Fantastic Four 285 where Human Torch considers quitting after a lonely boy lights himself on fire to be like the human torch and be liked and/or accepted. The interaction bewtween the boy (who's obsessed with Human Torch) and Human Torch was great writing. Powerful powerful stuff. I was balling at the end of the story.

Well comics don't have the impact on me as they did when I was a kid.

When I was a kid:

FF 25 was the best fighting issue.

FF 48 really got me hooked on the FF as my favorite comic.

I could get readers of these issues for $5 and $3 respectively back around '73/'74.

But the individual book that had me reeling back in '73 was without a doubt, ASM 121.

Fantastic Four 285 where Human Torch considers quitting after a lonely boy lights himself on fire to be like the human torch and be liked and/or accepted. The interaction bewtween the boy (who's obsessed with Human Torch) and Human Torch was great writing. Powerful powerful stuff. I was balling at the end of the story.

blush.gif So your girlfriend liked it too ?

blush.gif So your girlfriend liked it too ?

ROFL! Nice one! 27_laughing.gif