• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The History of Comics by Steranko......

19 posts in this topic

I'm selling my History of comics by Steranko. Limited autographed #330 out of 500.

These books are 14inches tall by 10 1/2 inches wide. To big that I scanned the first one in 2 parts so you will see the line where i joined them. The second book I just did 1 scan, I'm running out of room for photos on my site.

The first book is the first of a projected series of 6 volumes tracing the historical and sociological developement of visual storytelling in the medium of the comic book.

Volume two covers.

*Shazam.. the story of captain marvel and his creators.

*Lightning strikes twice..the big red cheese and his fabulous family tree

*The costumed co-stars..spy smasher, bulletman, Ibis, more Fawcett heroes

*Hawk-A-A-A!...The saga of the Blackhawks

*The Flying Heros..The warring skies of WW2 with Airboy, Sky Wolf, others

*Long Arm Of the Law..How plastic man got that way

*The Big super hero show..A detailed history of Quality Publications

*Sunday Matinee Idol..The Life and Death of the spirit

These are 2 great books for anyone that wants to own some history about comics and even better if your a Steranko fan!

I'm not sure what they are worth, so shoot an offer if your interested.

Book 1 front

book1f.jpg

Book 1 back

book1b.jpg

sig inside book 1

book1c.jpg

book 2 front

book2f.jpg

back

book2b.jpg

Those are 2 of the best resources I've read about comics. Highly recommended ! acclaim.gifThink the 1st printings had cover prices of $2 or $2.50.

1st printings?? Is there an actual comic book out there or something that these are sampled from? Because these are a first print also these books don't have a cover price or any price any where on the large paperback books. I bought these on a special QVC comic book show that had Steranko signing and selling on the show. Now I'm confused insane.gif

Those are 2 of the best resources I've read about comics. Highly recommended ! acclaim.gifThink the 1st printings had cover prices of $2 or $2.50.

1st printings?? Is there an actual comic book out there or something that these are sampled from? Because these are a first print also these books don't have a cover price or any price any where on the large paperback books. I bought these on a special QVC comic book show that had Steranko signing and selling on the show. Now I'm confused insane.gif

There are multiple printings of these books. No actual comic book. I have an #1 with the original mailing envelope so I'll check if there was a cover price or not! 893frustrated.gif

Will post scan shortly. There is an additional sticker banner with a $4 price on it. I am assuming that this is the 1st printing because the post mark on the envelope shows a July 1970 date! acclaim.gif

Yup...that's the first print of what was to be a "projected 6 part series"...any idea if the other 5 were produced???...
Only 2 volumes were ever finished. Did the 1st print of the 2nd volume have the same sticker banner?

I only have Vol. #1 ... sorry.gif
I have both but I am pretty sure that the second volume is a later printing! frown.gif

Doesn't the indicia or at least the inside cover make it discernable as to which printing it is???...

I only have Vol. #1 ... sorry.gif
I have both but I am pretty sure that the second volume is a later printing! frown.gif

Doesn't the indicia or at least the inside cover make it discernable as to which printing it is???...

I don't think so. That's why I'm confused about the 2nd volume. I was kinda sure about volume 1, as it came with the original illustrated mailer with a post date that was conistent with when it came out.

My volume 2 shows 1972 as a copyright date. But my volume 1 also says 1970.

My wife was telling me ( she has a better memory than I do) that these were limited to QVC sales, and thats why they don't have anything on the cover. ( like what yours has Greggy)

I just read the inside of book #1 and this is what it says.

" Full color copies of the covers to all published volumes are avaiable without type from Supergrapgics"

So this must be the copies I have because I have no type on my covers. thumbsup2.gif

My volume 2 shows 1972 as a copyright date. But my volume 1 also says 1970.

My wife was telling me ( she has a better memory than I do) that these were limited to QVC sales, and thats why they don't have anything on the cover. ( like what yours has Greggy)

I just read the inside of book #1 and this is what it says.

" Full color copies of the covers to all published volumes are avaiable without type from Supergrapgics"

So this must be the copies I have because I have no type on my covers. thumbsup2.gif

I'm sure that the signed and limited ones were limited to QVC sales. However, like I said, the indicia doesn't seem to distinguish between the printings. I'm pretty sure that my comic store has some later printings with the price printed on the cover. Mine has a sticker like label on the cover.

they were reprinted a few years back, maybe in '99 or 2000 or so...sorry!

richnerd - when did you buy them from qvc? i could see steranko signing the copies that came out with the reissue. confused-smiley-013.gif

It was around 1990, because my wife was pregnant with our first son.

confused-smiley-013.gif I sent the publishing company a message today to try to get to the bottom of this.