• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Esoteric Texts

15 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Seduction Of the Innocent and Parade of Pleasure. There are many copies of Love and Death to choose form. Have that Scouting Magazine with the Wertham comic book article. Looking for a Good Housekeeping Wertham. Also have All in Color For A Dime.

My question - what am I missing from the earlier days that deal more with GA books? Any thoughts? My thanks.

hmmm...tough one pov! i'll have my thinking cap on for you. Do you have a copy of the video comic book confidential? it has some of the senate hearing footage & things like that. thumbsup2.gif

THANKS Shiver! I used to have it but it went the way of my collection several years ago. frown.gif And I did enjoy it. Something to look for on ebay!

hmmm...tough one pov! i'll have my thinking cap on for you. Do you have a copy of the video comic book confidential? it has some of the senate hearing footage & things like that. thumbsup2.gif

THANKS Shiver! I used to have it but it went the way of my collection several years ago. frown.gif And I did enjoy it. Something to look for on ebay!

To heck with ebay - just ordered the dvd from Amazon - cheap at the price, too! This is gonna be fun because it has been a long time since I watched this one. I think some dormant synapses may be fored by the viewing and I may remember more Holy Grails! ::shudder::

What are some of the better segments in it? The senate hearing footage sounds interesting...anything else of note?

When I lived in Bosotn I went to the Boston Public Library and for a few dollars was abke to get a microfiche of the entire Senate Hearings. Again, it went the way of my collection when I last stopped (MAN I dumped a lot of great stuff - ah well -just need to find again).

Am gonna try the SF Public Library and see if I can get the same again. Luckily I work in a company that has a ton of microfiche readers. When I was in borton I had to read it with a loupe!

thats pretty damn hardcore there pov! congrats on the effort!

Actually I confess it was easy in Boston - I suppose I can call the BPL if no success in SF. All I needed was the right title - "1955 Sentae Subcommittee Hearing on the Impact of Comic Books on Juvenile Delinquicny". That is what I gave them and about 10 minutes later they had it. grin.gif

What WAS, I suppose, hardcore was actually thinking such a thing might actually EXIST on microfilm. And YES - Bill Gaines really DID say "if they showed more of the neck it would be in bad taste" (paraphrasing but I think you knwo what I mean!). Gaines was absolutely HILARIOUS at the hearing. nd there was a great index that made it easy to find things.

Am all fired up now. Think this will be my wek's project. Will start on the phone and seek results. Unless, of course, someone knows of a printed version?

I might be confusing this with the Good Housekeeping article, but I'm pretty sure there was something in Reader's Digest as well - possibly by Wertham.

Oh - I can't believe I forgot this! There is a book put out in the 80's by some religious zealot called, "Seduction of the Innocent Revisited".

I have a copy sitting in my parents' house 1700 miles away, otherwise I'd post it.

It's actually pretty cool if you can find it.

I might be confusing this with the Good Housekeeping article, but I'm pretty sure there was something in Reader's Digest as well - possibly by Wertham.

Oh - I can't believe I forgot this! There is a book put out in the 80's by some religious zealot called, "Seduction of the Innocent Revisited".

I have a copy sitting in my parents' house 1700 miles away, otherwise I'd post it.

It's actually pretty cool if you can find it.

Thanks Buttock. You are right about Reader's Digest. It did have a Wertham comic book article in it...forgot about that one. And I think I was mistaken about Good Housekeeping - it was Ladies Home Journal.

That Seduction Revisited is one I have not heard of. Just checked it on the net. Published in 1990 by John Fulce. Looks interesting all right and one to add to my "collection". thumbsup2.gif

Am all fired up now. Think this will be my wek's project. Will start on the phone and seek results. Unless, of course, someone knows of a printed version?

I believe this what you're looking for, POV.

Alan

Thanks Alan! That is apparantly the Interim Report, but I have never seen it, so something new! thumbsup2.gif

The microfiche had the actual testimony of the participants....hmmm - maybe an internet search will find that as well!

I have a copy of Seduction Of the Innocent and Parade of Pleasure. There are many copies of Love and Death to choose form. Have that Scouting Magazine with the Wertham comic book article. Looking for a Good Housekeeping Wertham. Also have All in Color For A Dime.

My question - what am I missing from the earlier days that deal more with GA books? Any thoughts? My thanks.

What constitutes "earlier days"? Since All in Color for a Dime came out in the early 70's, let me go backwards from there. Pardon me if I have some dates wrong, but my memory is old and some of these books are in places that I can't even remember.

Circle of Guilt by Frederic Wertham (mid 1950's?)- It was about a grisly murder, but if I remember right, there is a chapter in there about comics.

The Great Comic Book Heroes by Jules Feiffer. (1965) This was the first mass marketted book about the Golden Age of Comics. Reprinted many times over the years and readily available. Strictly 1940's. A 1965 Playboy had a condensed version of some of the material.

The Comic Book Book by Don Thompson and Lupoff. Sequel to All in Color for a Dime. Original published shortly after AICFAD. Reprinted by Krause about 5 years ago.

Comics Anatomy of a Mass Medium by Wolfgang Fuchs. One of the early 1970's books on the history of comics. Multiple chapters on the 1950's. It had a color comics section where they reprinted a Sprang Batman, Everett Submariner, and a Ingels horror story among others. First time I had seen that type of stuff. Went up to the then-current Underground scene. Unfortuneately there are a number of mistakes in the book.

Steranko's History of Comics Volume 1 and 2. How can anyone fail to mention these? Steranko did a lot of research for these books gathering a lot of information from artists/writers/editors that experienced the Golden Age (1940's) first hand. Haven't read my copies in years, but feel like digging them out now.

Penguin Book of Comics by ???. An early book on the history of comics, but I seem to remember that this was heavily focussed on newspaper strips.

There might have been one or two others, but I can't recall them. There were also a number of magazine articles from the 1940's and 1950's about comics, but I'd have to dig them out. Nothing special that comes to mind.