• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Setting Up At A Show

38 posts in this topic

It has been a long time since I set up at a show...back into the mid-90's. I'm considering doing so now with some of the smaller local shows where tables are not that expensive. I don't have the wall books (that I want to sell) to make a table at the smaller Big Apple shows make sense, but I see there are some more local ones within a 90 minute drive of me in NYC.

Given that I probably won't have any "help" (other than MAYBE my wife dropping me off and picking me up), I doubt I can handle more than 2 tables (not to mention, I doubt my car will hold more than 2 tables worth of long boxes). And I hope my bladder holds out!

I don't think I want to do this to blow out dollar books, but is that what all these local shows wind up being --- local dealers bringing tons of long boxes of 50 cent and $1 books to get rid of inventory?

I was kindah hoping to avoid blanket pricing like $2 or $3 or $5 a book and basically do 50% off the marked price (which would probably be like 80-100% of OPG) .... which do you think works better? I tend to go for the fixed numbers nowadays, but in the past I hit the 50% off guys (if they were legit discounts, of course).

My plan was to have silver through mid-80's, maybe with a sprinkling of choice later stuff, but I'm realistic too, I don't think anyone is going to pay half guide for my copy of Spawn 3. Maybe bring some good $50 - $500 books, but mostly keep it to the more affordable stuff...but honestly, I'd prefer not to worry about a $300 book getting shoplifted.

What about bringing multiples beyond 2 copies of a book? Subconsciously, when I see a dealer has a ton of one book that's almost a turnoff to me, but maybe I'm weird. Maybe bronze age ASMs can be 3 copies.

I'm not looking to make a lot of money here, but if I can clear $300-$500 (after tables costs, gas, tolls, but not including cost of goods sold, which is kindah hard for me to calculate), that's probably worth the hassle to me as I am limiting myself to 90 minutes each way (which might preclude Philadelphia shows).

If you're blowing out your stock, then it probably doesn't matter.

Higher grade stuff (even mid-higher grade stuff) will sell for more than 50% of guide though if you get the right buyer. People will pay for quality.

I see a lot of new/part-time dealers without a rack. You should have a display rack... even for a bunch of $10-20 books.

You can build a rack for about $60 from parts at Home Depot. (or borrow one maybe from a local board member who has them...)

Don't have multiples unless it's a key issue. Because what if I'm looking at your ASM 237 for instance and I notice you have three of them, but one has something wrong with the cover but you've priced it higher than one that has better eye appeal (at least as far as the cover goes). I'll probably figure it looks like on the inside and be on my way and you should assume that that's what most people will do. If it's a key issue though, and you've got multiples, put them all out, and if there's a price difference, as soon as you see someone eyeballing them then explain why that copy of Avengers 57 is more expensive than this one.

Of course if you point out defects then you're also doing yourself a disservice if it's something that someone wouldn't normally have noticed.

"Ah this one has a triangle fold on the bottom back cover" could translate into the buyer hearing "Ah yeah, it does, I don't want it."

Higher grade stuff (even mid-higher grade stuff) will sell for more than 50% of guide though if you get the right buyer. People will pay for quality.

----------

I have to wonder how long anything can stay particularly high grade if in a long box in a convention setting, even with two backing boards. people are rough with other people's comics.

And remember, I'm not talking aboutselling 9.2 1963 Marvels at half price.... the 9.2s and 9.4s I have will tend to be books from 1976 - 1984.

Recommend you get some simple business cards printed up with your email or phone # in case you can get some follow up sales on your over $50 inventory. A collector may walk in with a list of comics he wants to dump, so handing out a card will make you look more professional and organized. :gossip:

Recommend you get some simple business cards printed up with your email or phone # in case you can get some follow up sales on your over $50 inventory. A collector may walk in with a list of comics he wants to dump, so handing out a card will make you look more professional and organized. :gossip:

(thumbs u best idea you'll get in this thread. I've gotten MANY a collection this way.

Since you will probably work this alone look for another local collector that would like to share a table or booth. It's tough to do a show alone if Mother Nature calls your name and the boys room is far away. It is also tough to move in and move out your books alone. Your inventory could disappear while you are looking for a cart.

I usually keep my duplicate books in a box underneath. If I sell my first copy I replace it from the duplicate box. Why advertise that you have lots of copies and invite low ball offers.

I like to sell $1/$2 books. If you aren't selling many decent books the dollar boxes can pay the freight and help the day pass quickly. I love collectors with lists that pull out 20 or 30 $1 books and they love finding them.

PS Pogs are no longer in. :tonofbricks:

I accidentally loaded a short box of "Extinction Agenda" into the van

the night before a show, THE WEEK THEY WERE ISSUED, and my

table slave put them up on the wall neatly, priced at $ 1.50 while I was

out making the looting and pillaging rounds and sold $30 worth in 30

minutes. You don't have to look like a BSD to make money. Some of

the best sellers I know don't own a book worth over $50. Sell what you

have at a fair price, be a polite seller, and treat people the way you

want to be treated and you might just succeed.

Free business card links. (They'll put a line on your card though advertising their business.)

Can't really beat the price unless they charge a lot for shipping. For instance, 21 day shipping would cost $5.67 for me. Standard is about 10 bucks for 2 weeks.

You can always print your own as well either using cover stock/a business card cutter (I have my own) or using Avery micro-perforated stock. (The thicker card is better but it's expensive.)

Printing and cutting your own is a LOT cheaper but it does cost time.

http://www.vistaprint.com

http://www.bizcard.com/product/free-business-cards

This is the card cutter I use. (I have a lot of businesses and the need for small lots of different cards plus I use it for other things. I like 100lb+ cover stock but 80lb cover stock is probably fine.)

CardMate Business Card Cutter

http://www.factory-express.com/Paper_Cutters/Business_Card_Slitters/CardMate_Business_Card_Cutter-8883.htm?source=froogle

(You could, of course, just cut them with a metal straight edge and a sharp craft knife.)

I'm beating the wife up to let me do the show we don't know about

yet, and she's retreating slowly. But I may need to split a couple of booths

with someone else :whistle:

yeah, i'd love to have someone to help me, but if I have to pay someone that's going to put me into a loss. my wife would be happy to hang out at a real big con like NYCC where she can amuse herself with celebrities and Star Wars krap, etc. and cover for me in spots, but not at a little local show.

thanks for the thoughts. i have been meaning to get some business cards done for a long time... like 15 years or so ... as it would be inappropriate to hand out my day job business card.

Just find a local board member you trust who will also be at the convention...

They can spell you for pre-arranged breaks, etc.

Offer them some rack space for their books (either on consignment or for free for the help).

Or offer them a spot for a long box/short box of their own comics. (Just make sure that box is indexed (or you're supplied a list beforehand). Also, they should be specially marked with a colored dot or label indicating they're that person's.

The thing about doing that is if they have better wall books than you do, or have major keys, those comics will draw attention to your display and your other comics in general.

I just did a local show, where I shared a couple of tables with the owner of my LCS. I brought 5 short boxes of mostly Silver and Bronze Marvels doubles and 1 short box of low grade Golden Age books. My wife helped me move the boxes in and out of show, so nothing could get stolen. I didn't have a display but I had the expensive books on the table behind the short boxes. Most of the books were priced at full guide and I gave each customer a 10% discount if they purchased a few books.

I ended up selling two short boxes of books, mostly in $10 to $50 range and a F/VF raw ASM 12 for $250. I was also able to trade some golden age Timely doubles for some high grade CGC ASM's. All in all in the show was very successful for me.

Good luck.