• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventure Comics #40 CGC 9.2

66 posts in this topic

How much do you think this will go for? And although the restoration is very minor do you think that it takes away from the value of the book? Link

893scratchchin-thumb.gif That is definitely one for grader notes. The Amateur Restoration of glue and color touch should give one pause. Is the glue archival? Did the color touch bleed through? Will the grader notes reveal such? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They say the restoration is "very minor". I wonder, if they chose to put it in a Blue label instead of a Purple one, with the same label notes, how much difference would there be in the ultimate selling price of the comic?

They say the restoration is "very minor". I wonder, if they chose to put it in a Blue label instead of a Purple one, with the same label notes, how much difference would there be in the ultimate selling price of the comic?

I bet there would be a noticeable difference. That purple label sticks out like a sore thumb and destroys the "look" of a Universal Grade colletion. I honestly believe this is half of the reason the PLOD books can be so cheap in comparison.

The colour of the label makes ALL the difference in the world when it comes to pricing. The MH copy of More Fun #52 with restoration has a blue label and was able to sell for multiples of guide. Without the restoration, I am sure that it would have gone for even higher multiples of guide. This is the third or fourth go round for the MH Adventure #40. With the PLOD, it will probably not be able to find a buyer unless the reserve is set much closer to guide.

To bring up a point which I have been harping on for a long time, CGC has done nothing but serious damage to the restored book market through their indiscriminate use of colour labels. For the price which we are paying, CGC should come out with only one colour label (especially GA books) and specify BOTH a condition grade ALONG with a restoration rating from zero to ten. A zero rating would represent no restoration with a 10 rating representing extensive restoration. This way, the market would be able to more fairly determine what was acceptable in the marketplace and pay accordingly. In this situation, GA books may be seen as acceptable with restoration ratings up to 3, early SA books may be fine up to 1, and BA and Modern books may be acceptable only with a rating of zero. The key is that the marketplace instead of CGC will decide what is acceptable with respect to restoration in the same way it currently decides what is acceptable (price) based upon the CGC grade. Any bets that if CGC ever do decide to move to a one colour label system, you'll see all the speculators and investors jump onto the bandwagon and start picking up GA books with only slight restoration.

On the other hand, I guess CGC could move in the other direction and extend their purple label to include all books graded below 9.4. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

you really think so?

Restoration was already out of favor when CGC started slabbing them purple. Its just a visual clue so you know right away that the book has had work, which for most of us, is a red signal shouting "dont buy". Everyone blames the LABEL when its the RESTORATION itself that lowers the value.

you really think so?

Restoration was already out of favor when CGC started slabbing them purple. Its just a visual clue so you know right away that the book has had work, which for most of us, is a red signal shouting "dont buy". Everyone blames the LABEL when its the RESTORATION itself that lowers the value.

thumbsup2.gif

Very true, people are just mad at nickels for not being dimes 893whatthe.gif

That being said, properly and/or slightly restored comics don't get the respect they deserve in the market place. There is nothing wrong with it as long as there is full disclosure, done right, and it is priced correctly.

thumbsup2.gif

That being said, properly and/or slightly restored comics don't get the respect they deserve in the market place. There is nothing wrong with it as long as there is full disclosure, done right, and it is priced correctly.

Agreed. But having that purple label is definately a "scarlet letter" to such books. I have heard collectors say they don't want any purple showing up in their sea of blue slabbed books. I believe that the purple label color does in fact turn off many collectors who would otherwise give a second look to the same book in a blue slab with proper documented restoration.

I believe that the purple label color does in fact turn off many collectors who would otherwise give a second look to the same book in a blue slab with proper documented restoration.

I agree 100% and stated as much earlier. The way I see it, if the CGC customers are so stupid that CGC had to remove the alpha grade because those alpha grades were being misinterpreted, I guess they deserve a purple label because they would obviously be too stupid to understand the restoration remarks on a blue label.

::this post intentionally inflammatory - actually the current PLOD price situation makes more opportunites for the collector on a budget - but while harshly expressed by using the word "stupid" - the sentiments expressed above are actually how I feel::

To me...this is the best way to grab a significant key book at a truly spectacular price...the restoration is (A)mataur and only consists of a little bit of glue and very minor color touch...(did Chuck do this while he was inventorying the books???...)

There are no pieces added or tears mended...I would love to get this book at 1/2 guide since structurally it is a stupendous book...and historically it is a biggie...

In this case...restoration be damned. sumo.gif..since it was basically some goofballs lame attempt at trying to make a great book look even better...

Some day this "restored" book will get the respect it deserves...I dub it a "Bargain Buy"... thumbsup2.gif

Well, there's no doubt in my mind it's the best copy in existance! A wise buyer would nab this one and sell it out of the holder. Sure disclose the tiny CT, but once they see the book in person and in their hands they will love it.

Timely

.the restoration is (A)mataur and only consists of a little bit of glue and very minor color touch...(did Chuck do this while he was inventorying the books???...)

The last thing on Chucks mind while taking inventory of the books was dropping bits of glue on them or touching them with color. For the most part, they were already the best copies anyone had ever seen and it made no economic sense to waste time touching them up. It wasn't necessary. So, no, Chuck didn't do the "resto". smile.gif

you really think so?

thumbsup2.gif

I agree that restoration was already out of favor prior to the birth of CGC. Restored books have always sold at a discount to guide, but never to the extent that they have been since CGC started branding them with their purple labels. It was only at this point that they took the deep plunge which they have still not recover from.

Yes, the restoration is part of the problem. The use of colour labels only serves to magify the problem. Speculators and investors use the CGC label colour as the mark of acceptability when they should be paying more attention to the restoration notes. This is why blue label GA books with minor restoration will still sell for multiples of guide while purple label GA books with minor restoration will sell only at a deep discount to guide. In this case, the colour of the label makes all the difference in the world since both books are still exhibiting minor amounts of restoration.

Steve, you just have to look at yourself in the mirror. The use of colour labels is the number one reason why restored books don't get the respect which they use to have, and why they have sunk to such a low level in today's marketplace. A one colour label system with a restoration rating is a much more fairer system and will let the marketplace instead of CGC to determine the acceptability of individual restored books. I can see it from your end in that it would be nothing but problems and open a whole new can of worms similar to the current high end grading disputes.

One final point to people who think that the problem is restoration and has nothing to do with the colour of the label. Imagine a new CGC grading system whereby all books graded lower than 9.4 are given a purple label to denote that they are lower than near mint. This should make posters like Aman happy because CGC is providing a visual clue and raising a obvious red flag on out of favour non-NM books without buyers having to worry about reading the grade. I will bet my entire comic collection that this will result in an immediate drop in price for all purple label < 9.4 books even though their grades have not changed. The only thing that changed was the colour of the label. IMHO

Very interesting thoughts Lou. If 9.2 and lower grades had a different color label than the 9.4 and up grades it would devistate the market for lower grade books. I do understand CGC's thoughts on blue/green/purple labeling in the beginning, years ago...not so sure it's needed anymore. Thoughts?

One other thing is the green Qualified books. The are almost as bad as PLOD books. I've seen GLOD's (Green Label of Death) ranging from, "Incomplete, pages missing" to "Heavy Miscut." Obviously a "heavy miscut" is a printing defect and an "Incomplete" is technically a poor by Overstreet standards, yet it really does not even seem to matter. The buyers do not read the label. As soon as they see green or purple color on the label the book gets passed up without a second thought.

Also I've always disagreed with the removal of the alpha grade by CGC. Somehow seeing 9.0 VF/NM on the older labels seemed more gratifying than a BIG 9.0 and nothing else.

Timely