• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you attend comic conventions?

80 posts in this topic

well i have been to a ton of local shows since i was 13 and dragon-con Atlanta hasnt really had alot of big cons, infact now that Wizard World Atlanta is taking place it is the first big con i can think of that has came to Georgia.

My first was 1978 New York City (Statler Hilton) -- I learned about it in an ad in an ASM comic from late '77 or early '78. Imagine being at a large convention with virtually every table being a dealer table, a giant ballroom filled with GA, SA and BA comix. Yes, that's how it used to be.

Nowadays, I will go maybe to one each year, if that. I went to NY Comic Con in 2010 and will never go back to that mayhem again. Orlando Supercon in Feb 2012 is next on the radar.

I'm trying to keep an tradition of going to sdcc alive. This year will be my fourth. I also go to a few shows here in tx - wizard, staple!, and Dallas comic-con.

If I ever get frozen out of sdcc I'll probably pick up another out of town show. My sister recently moved to the dc area so I may pick up Baltimore if I can get a cheap and easy flight.

Went to my first major U.S. Con in 1995 (San Diego). Attendance that year was around 40,000...it's now about 140,000. Getting to the show and staying in one of SD's overpriced hotels is now prohibitive enough that I doubt I'll be going for the time being, which is a shame, as I've gone 9 times since '95.

In the 90s, I went to 3 or 4 shows a year - two NYCs, SD, and Pittsburgh (believe it or not). The good thing about the NY shows for me back then was that I could stay with people in town, which meant my travelling expenses were around $450 all in. In the 00s, things gradually started getting more expensive (partly due to 9/11), especially SD. The Pittsburgh show went downhill somewhat, so I stopped going there. From '05 - '11 I'd attend Wonder Con in SF and the Javitts show in NY, which quickly became the best comic show on the circuit.

This year, due to spiralling hotel / flight costs (even during low season, and especially in NYC) and no Wonder Con, I may go to just the one show.