• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Superman #17 would you rather have..?

31 posts in this topic

So, I have a super clean, super bright, CGC 6.5 copy of Supes #17 with White pages(no, it's not that dingy looking copy that Heritage is offering in their current auction). Neat Stuff currently has a 7.0 with cream to off-white pages on eBay.

This is a tough book, especially in 6.0 or better. So what would you prefer, a 6.5 with white pages, or a 7.0 with cream to off-white pages?

I hate to say this to a man named nearmint, but I'd have to agree. Numerical grade isn't everything. There's nothing like paging through a 60 year-old book that smells and feels brand new. Then again, you wouldn't be so silly as to actually remove the book from the holder and do this. After all, decades from now your heirs would incur a reslabbing fee. But you can at least imagine how lovely it would be to hold the book in your grubby little hands, fondle it lovingly, cast your eyes over pages that your father himself might have read as a kid and enjoy them in their full, WHITE splendor. Then again, if you're not planning on liberating the book you could do this but just contemplating the scans, saving yourself a couple of grand in the process. Many people women use the internet to enjoy women in a similar manner....

I'd rather have the Heritage copy. cool.gifcool.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28266&item=2221185133

POS 6.5 if you ask me

WIth only one 7.5 and one 7.0 and 3 6.5's I would rather have the 7.0. Nice to see that the heritage copy is even worse than my 5.0, unless I win the 7.0 I'll be happy with what I have. Cream to off white pages can mean a lot. Are the edges of the pages cream due to dust shadow or are the entire pages cream like. Real bargains can be had on Cream to OW as OW or better command premiums.

Ed

I just don't think the 7.0 presents as well as my 6.5. Maybe the 7.0 is a bad scan, but it just doesn't look as bright, and the staples show on the front of the cover, whereas on mine they're right on the spine.

Good luck on the 7.0. I see you currently have high bid, and it is a really nice book.

Frankly, I don't think you can do wrong with this book in any grade. A couple of years ago, I sold the 8.0 copy with slight restoration, and I kind of wish I'd hung on to it. Very pretty book.

I hate to say this to a man named nearmint, but I'd have to agree. Numerical grade isn't everything. There's nothing like paging through a 60 year-old book that smells and feels brand new. Then again, you wouldn't be so silly as to actually remove the book from the holder and do this. After all, decades from now your heirs would incur a reslabbing fee.

The re-slabbing fee is a consideration, but I'd crack that sucker like a cherrystone clam, read it (carefully) and enjoy the white pages' look, feel and smell, then get it cleaned and pressed, send it off and wait for my 7.5 to come back from CGC cloud9.gif

There is so little difference between the two except in price. If the price were the same I would grab the 7.0

If they were both out of the slab it would be tough. For me personally misaligned staples don't present a problem as they usually have a spine that is break free which is a nice plus. That is how the 7.0 looks as opposed to your 6.5

Again white pages command a serious premium but my standard is cr to OW or better so that also doesn't present a problem on the 7.0. In the end I hope to win this for a reasonalbe price above guide but $2000 would bow me out. Tough to spend crazy money when its only an upgrade. If I owned yours I wouldn't even bother especially knowing that one of the 6.5's looks like the one from heritage.

Trade my 17 5.0 and 21 7.5 CGC's for your 17??

Trade my 17 5.0 and 21 7.5 CGC's for your 17??

That's probably a fair offer, but I think I'll pass.

I used to have a raw 17 that would've graded out around 5.0. I wonder if that's the copy you have now. I would have sold it on eBay about 2 1/2 years ago.