• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Superman #17 would you rather have..?

31 posts in this topic

But wouldn't getting it cleaned and pressed earn it a PLOD?

Well, the pressing certainly wouldn't - unless you went the full 9 yards and had the book disassembled to press it. Then I suppose it might be 'caught' by CGC if the staples weren't perfectly aligned upon re-insertion.

As for the cleaning, there are numerous examples of HG GA books - including more than a few Church pedigree copies - that have been cleaned and pressed and came back Blue label with grade increases of 1.5 grades or more...!

Your Supes 17 actually looks pretty clean; I'm guessing that just the pressing might bump it up .5 grade or more... are there hidden defects?

Nah, I'm really not into doing anything to a book. Which is why I sold an 8.0 slightly restored copy for $1150 to buy a 6.5 blue label for $1650. At the time I thought I was paying too much, but it looks like that 7.0 on eBay may very well top 2K.

Actually you wont have to really worry about how wellthe staples are put back in place since youre discussing a specific comics to restore and avoid detection right here on the CGC boards for all to see!! blush.giffrown.gif

LMAO... I'm trying to picture Plitch, Haspel and Borock madly jotting down all the [!@#%^&^] we post on these boards... "hey, make a note of that - there's an outside chance we'll see another Supes 17 with pressing and/or cleaning in the next 3-19 months!!" In fact, CGC would be better off NOT recognizing the Supes 17 if it were resubbed, just to maintain their stance that "we don't know when a book has been resubbed."

Guess the paper quality? BTW there is one of each from Cream to Off-White, Off White, Off-White - White, and White.

From Superman 3, 9, 16, and 17, BTW in the 3rd one down #16, is he flying or jumping? We report you decide.

3papaer.JPG

9paper.JPG

16paper.JPG

17paper.JPG