• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sacrificing a Grade for a SS

49 posts in this topic

Yeah im done with CGC i expect a possible damn grade drop when getting an SS, but when I just submitted a CGC graded 9.8 1st Bane appearance to get signed by Nolan and after 3 months it comes back today at a @-$%!! 9.0!! Nope, nope, nope get some damn quality control! Did he use it as a napkin?!

1 hour ago, JOENAVY said:

Yeah im done with CGC i expect a possible damn grade drop when getting an SS, but when I just submitted a CGC graded 9.8 1st Bane appearance to get signed by Nolan and after 3 months it comes back today at a @-$%!! 9.0!! Nope, nope, nope get some damn quality control! Did he use it as a napkin?!

I had 14 straight 9.8s get a 9.8 and overall dont expect a 9.8. Unfortunately recently have had to wait 3x as long and still get a grade drop. Im starting to think quality control is definitely the issue as they are overwhelmed with orders.

You can crack 9.8s... you just need to separate the "soft" 9.8s from the "solid" 9.8s. Here are two examples from my books..

First, Watchmen #1. This was a softer 9.8 (based on the black back).  It was signed by Jeffrey Dean Morgan and got a 9.6 due to color rubs on the back cover.

Next, Daredevil #183 9.8 Blue with a tiny spine tic mid-spine (not color breaking above the yellow circle). This was signed by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson and kept the 9.8.  

9.8s/9.6s are an accumulation of defects. My challenge has been distinguishing the difference.

Watchmen 1 96 SS.jpg

DD 183 98.jpg

Edited by Ron C.

4 hours ago, JOENAVY said:

Damn...from a 9.8 to a 9.0?😬.  Sorry to hear that.

I too submitted a “Vengeance of Bane” for the Nolan signing.  It was a 9.8 universal.  Old case, though.  It’s currently “scheduled for grading”.  :wishluck:

39 minutes ago, Comixroc said:

Damn...from a 9.8 to a 9.0?😬.  Sorry to hear that.

I too submitted a “Vengeance of Bane” for the Nolan signing.  It was a 9.8 universal.  Old case, though.  It’s currently “scheduled for grading”.  :wishluck:

:wishluck:

3 hours ago, JOENAVY said:

Breathed some life back into it.

I feel bad for you, cause I too had that book come back lower, not on a resub though....

I sent in two at once and thought they were 8.5 and 9.4 respectively, they came back 9.0 and 9.2, so yours while not all too common a lower grade (and yes I know it was originally a 9.8 ) it's even rarer that it would drop so much....

I reacted to your post, as I dont know of they took different grading standards into account with this issue, or if manufacturing defects went considered, then idk how it could be that low.

Further if they cracked it and then scrubbed liability as the check boxes suggest when submitting, then what is the insurance we get for? Only if they lost the book?

Perhaps if there were scans of the slab you might have recourse, but I feel bad for you!  :(

9 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I feel bad for you, cause I too had that book come back lower, not on a resub though....

I sent in two at once and thought they were 8.5 and 9.4 respectively, they came back 9.0 and 9.2, so yours while not all too common a lower grade (and yes I know it was originally a 9.8 ) it's even rarer that it would drop so much....

I reacted to your post, as I dont know of they took different grading standards into account with this issue, or if manufacturing defects went considered, then idk how it could be that low.

Further if they cracked it and then scrubbed liability as the check boxes suggest when submitting, then what is the insurance we get for? Only if they lost the book?

Perhaps if there were scans of the slab you might have recourse, but I feel bad for you!  :(

I recently subbed a 9.8 blue label Cyborg that came back a 9.2. I took issue with it. I understand 9.8 to 9.6 but 9.2? That represents gross mishandling of a book. It has made me rethink sending any book going forward and scared about the book I have already sent. 

No one has any idea what type of procedures are in place for these mass signings, nor the number of hands that the books are passing through, nor the techniques being used.  Compared to what I saw and did as a CAW, I would not send any books that are in any way grade-sensitive to a CGC mass signing.

20 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Screenshot_20201009-132646_eBay.thumb.jpg.fd1950ac910aaca89f3401cbd1460167.jpg