• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 11:30 AM, Darkseid of the Moon said:

Correct.  The company in the link I posted can make any light even if they don't have one for your i800.  I think they would require a used i800 light or the blueprints to be able to make a retrofit light.  My light that I bought from them is over 2 years old now and the scans are 10x better than the old light that came in the scanner when I bought it used off ebay.

Except now, there's a line like in your scan, but I got lucky because the line is off to the side.  So I just have to move the slab over a little on the scanner bed so the line doesn't show up. 

I should probably order another backup light.  $50 is cheap to fix an expensive old scanner.  And the process of changing the light was really easy, because that comapny made a very good instruction guide that includes pictures and step by step process.  I also bought some lube to stop the scanner creaking noises.  The rails needed to be lubed up.  Did it all in one go and the scanner is performing quite well now.  #That's what she said

Appreciate it! Solid information. 

On 5/10/2018 at 8:26 AM, GACollectibles said:

I got a couple of PMs recently so I'm bumping with CIS/CCD & Vuescan details, let me know if you see any models that aren't listed on Updated list below.

UPDATED LIST:

EPSON DS-50000 (added)

Epson GT-15000 (added)

Epson GT-20000 (corrected model number)

HP 7310

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7400C (added)

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL

Microteks 9600-9700-9800

Not yet confirmed(but I'm still thinking of giving it a whirl!)

PLUSTEK OPTICPRO A320

Is there an updated list of scanners that would work great for CGC books?

On 10/14/2021 at 8:39 AM, Shockmaster said:

Is there an updated list of scanners that would work great for CGC books?

This list is still accurate, I tweaked it with a couple of updates on specific models based on some posts since the last update:

UPDATED LIST:

EPSON DS-50000

Epson GT-15000

Epson GT-20000

HP 7310

HP 7400C

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

Microtek i900 (added)

Microtek V6UPL

Microtek 9600-9700-9800 (9800XL added)

PLUSTEK OPTICPRO A320 (confirmed)

PLEASE NOTE: List does not account for operating system compatibility

Vuescan software for scanning/editing is recommended as well.

Edited by GACollectibles

On 10/14/2021 at 9:25 AM, GACollectibles said:

This list is still accurate, I tweaked it with a couple of updates on specific models based on some posts since the last update:

UPDATED LIST:

EPSON DS-50000

Epson GT-15000

Epson GT-20000

HP 7310

HP 7400C

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

Microtek i900 (added)

Microtek V6UPL

Microtek 9600-9700-9800 (9800XL added)

PLUSTEK OPTICPRO A320 (confirmed)

PLEASE NOTE: List does not account for operating system compatibility

Vuescan software for scanning/editing is recommended as well.

Thank you!

I'm the market for a new scanner but the availability of the older scanners on this list si really drying up.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, Bighaley21 said:

These are the best scans I've seen for slabs. Thank you for sharing. Just bought a Plustek. (thumbsu

When you get it , please add a scan to see if it works just as good as Wisconsins scan. 

I've been using my Microtek i800 scanner for a few years now on Windows XP, and it works great.

The problem is that I recently started using a PC with Windows 7, and my scanner will not work on my Windows 7. I believe the problem is that I do not (or cannot) install the drivers needed to run the i800. I've been to the Microtek web site, but it does not have any drivers for the i800 available. The web site seems to be very outdated and/or defunct. And they will not respond to any e-mails I have sent them.

I have the original driver disk that installed fine on my Windows XP. But it will not load onto my Windows 7. When I plug my scanner into my Windows 7 PC, it won't even find the scanner. I was able to download a version of the ScanWizard 5 program from the internet. But it does me no good if I can't connect my scanner drivers.

Does anybody have, or know of any safe web site where I can download the drivers needed for the i800?  I see there are some web sites like semantic.gs, that say they have the drivers. But I'am hesitant to use these unknown services.  maybe some of you have used them or know of their safety.

Any help from you awesome boardies would be greatly appreciated.  I'm only computer savy enough to get myself in trouble. Thanks all...

I used to have an HP 7300c and you can't do too much with the rainbows really... You can try scanning the slabs upside down. That sometimes helped. Eliminating all outside light also helped. Vuescan gives you more finite control over settings, but the $39 or $99 cost is a factor. (I never scanned the new slabs so I don't know how they scan.) 

I currently have a used Microtek i900 and use the Professional upgraded version of Vuescan.

Edited by sckao

My whole ecosystem here is MAC as I have the latest OS running; I always fear running into driver issues going back too far with old hardware. On the flip side no way I want to shell out $1500+ for a good quality CCD scanner. I bought one of these quite awhile back and now finally playing around with it. This costs anywhere from $140-$200 depending on how many MP you want. The picture below is a raw scan. I did absolutely no filtering or any kind of alteration. 

In the middle of the slab, there is a little shadow from the bar of the scanner. I need to figure out how to get rid of this. Maybe also will try portrait mode but the very bottom of the plastic slab might get trimmed off. 

https://shop.czur.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA9aKQBhBREiwAyGP5lW8PKFlGAmpS473wsvwmlHAqlxzaIUJGLMCCdcanWe4VNra1x1F-8BoCUEwQAvD_BwE

BATs.jpg

Just wanted to add; I did use a large blank canvas page to cover the top part; there is a pedal that comes with this device so you can scan hands free. I believe if I get a couple of LEDs and mount them on each side the PQ would be stellar then and that bar reflection would be a non-issue.