• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Buy Variants?

Do You Buy Variants?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Buy Variants?

105 posts in this topic

i only buy modern cover variants, anita blake only lol but kinda hard to find in person...online is too easy...i like the hunt
Have seen the Marvel Newsstand Price Variants of the Anita Blakes(and other titles) at Borders Books :cloud9:? Sometimes you can pick one up in NM+ condition the day they come out usually two or three weeks after the LCS release date. I've seen the Anitas in Concord, but I'm not sure about the Borders in Nashua or Salem, NH?

I only buy variants if it pertains to my ASM collection. Other than that I stay away from the things. Variants really me off especially since they've become a mainstay of modern comics. ASM is so frickin' bad with variants now. Every other issue has like 4 variant covers, and I HATE spending that much money on newer comics when there is so much Silver/Bronze age stuff I could spend that money on.

Everytime I buy a variant cover I feel like I just purchased a beanie baby.

I've been given the scoop from a big time comic dealer in Detroit that most variant books are re-offered to retailers as a bonus when they purchase an X amount of of a certain book. In essence variants depreciate in value more than anything. Buy them on Ebay for cheapest possible when the surge hits. i.e. blackest night 1 sketch 1:250 is seeing that now as a release of a couple hundred have been determined. Prices as low as $15. These used to be $80 plus 2 weeks ago.

These retailers are able to purchase them for a couple books. Kick- 1 sketch and variant will soon see that as well. Sell now!

If I preferred the art on a variant cover and could buy it at cover price, I would choose that over the regular version. Never at inflated prices, though.

I get the occasional one if the art really appeals to me. As an example I got the variant to the recent Batman 0 as I preferred it to the main cover, (I didn't buy the main cover as well).

I like having the choice and don't feel compelled to buy all of them.

The Walking Dead 100 variants were criticized as exploitative, but I liked the way they did a 'something to fear cover' which fit right in with the other covers in that arc. I see that as considerate rather than exploitative. 2c

With the Uncanny Avengers 1, I picked up the regular, the blank (so that I could get a sketch done on it) and the Midtown (because they aren't distributed in the UK and I didn't have to pay for it lol). We did have customers who bought all of them including the 1:100 and the launch party opt in variant, but these are collectors with deep pockets who love this stuff.

Sales of these big dollar variants, allow us to offer the regular covers at £2.00 each, which benefits the regular customer.

No.

I first (seriously) started collecting in 1991. The current variant trend chaps me just as much that era's nonsense did. I can (maybe) accept a variant cover (ONE, dammit) for a true milestone issue, ie; issue #500, but that's it.

Upon my very recent return to collecting (lapsed in around 2000ish), I was very surprised and, honestly, a bit disappointed to see this going on.

Edited by BronzeHorror