• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.9 Tomb of Dracula #10

61 posts in this topic

It auctioned for just under 4400 on HA in 2005. It's now at 52k with 11 days to go. An increase of  > 1100% not to shabby with this much to go. I'd love to know how many times if at all it changed hands in between and for how much.

Moon has a great memory bumping this thread!

Edited by MGsimba77

17 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

... which raises an uncomfortable issue.

Not sure what your issue is and why you would be so uncomfortable with something that looks transparent and so delectably translucent:  lol  :takeit:

G310  - Unique Bodystocking              

Edited by lou_fine

As you said, surely it would not have been graded that highly if it had been presented raw while having this translucency. The "uncomfortable issue" is that the MCP or whatever CGC does in slabbing them contributes to, if not causes, this translucency. I have not seen this on any of my thousands of raw books, and certainly not in any BA issues, but have seen it now on a number of highly graded slabbed books.

Edited by Albert Thurgood
corrected grammar

9 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

I have a few MOKF lying around , not a #10 but a few others I think could be 9.9’s or better 🥴🥴😷

Its tomb of Dracula tod 

Not masters of kung fu

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Its tomb of Dracula tod 

Not masters of kung fu

Oops I got my acronyms mixed up 🥴🤪🤪 but I think I have a couple this TOD,s lying around bagged an boarded that I think would get a 9.9 👍

21 hours ago, Randall Ries said:
On 2/15/2021 at 7:42 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

... which raises an uncomfortable issue.

If I can read the ad on the inside cover though the outer cover in a mirror I don't want the book.

20 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

As you said, surely it would not have been graded that highly if it had been presented raw while having this translucency.

Well, if you take a closer look at the Heritage scan from way back in 2005 when the book was both graded and originally scanned, it's rather obvious that the translucency was already there and not something that creeped in over time with the book sitting in the slab:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/tomb-of-dracula-10-marvel-1973-cgc-mt-99-white-pages-here-s-the-only-99-yet-certified-of-this-key-bronze-age-book-th/a/818-1167.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B1%2F6%2F7%2F6%2F1676339%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

20 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

I have not seen this on any of my thousands of raw books, and certainly not in any BA issues, but have seen it now on a number of highly graded slabbed books.

I remember buying brand new books off the shelves of the LCS's way back in the mid to late 70's and I do clearly remember that certain issues would have this translucency issue.  I believe CGC views this as being caused by the printing process and hence possibly something that they don't really take into account in the final determination of the grade.  And yet, possibly one of the main reasons why this particular copy here did not receive the CVA Exceptional sticker from CL.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

25 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you take a closer look at the Heritage scan from way back in 2005 when the book was both graded and originally scanned, it's rather obvious that the translucency was already there and not something that creeped in over time with the book sitting in the slab:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/tomb-of-dracula-10-marvel-1973-cgc-mt-99-white-pages-here-s-the-only-99-yet-certified-of-this-key-bronze-age-book-th/a/818-1167.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B1%2F6%2F7%2F6%2F1676339%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I remember buying brand new books off the shelves of the LCS's way back in the mid to late 70's and I do clearly remember that certain issues would have this translucency issue.  I believe CGC views this as being caused by the printing process and hence possibly something that they don't really take into account in the final determination of the grade.  And yet, possibly one of the main reasons why this particular copy here did not receive the CVA Exceptional sticker from CL.  hm  (shrug)

It's only my take on it. Someone paying $52,000 for this book has too much money. It's structurally perfect but the translucent cover really steals from the overall presentation. I get why CGC doesn't take translucency into consideration, but it should have gotten a 9.8. If looks could kill....

39 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

It's only my take on it. Someone paying $52,000 for this book has too much money.

Well, I would tend to agree with you that nobody's going to end up paying $52,000 for this book here, especially since there's still another 8 days to go in the auction.  :wink:

Well, I guess we'll just have to see how this book does on its third go round after selling for $4,370 way back in 2005 and then supposedly hitting $85,000 on its second go round here in the summer of 2019.  hm  :taptaptap:

39 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

It's structurally perfect but the translucent cover really steals from the overall presentation. I get why CGC doesn't take translucency into consideration, but it should have gotten a 9.8. If looks could kill....

So, are you trying to say that there is indeed some usefulness to the CVA Exceptional sticker, or are you trying to imply that a CVA Sticker of Deception would be useful in this particular case here?  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

35 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I would tend to agree with you that nobody's going to end up paying $52,000 for this book here, especially since there's still another 8 days to go in the auction.  :wink:

Well, I guess we'll just have to see how this book does on its third go round after selling for $4,370 way back in 2005 and then supposedly hitting $85,000 on its second go round here in the summer of 2019.  hm  :taptaptap:

So, are you trying to say that there is indeed some usefulness to the CVA Exceptional sticker, or are you trying to imply that a CVA Sticker of Deception would be useful in this particular case here?  :devil:

"Pay no attention to that translucent cover inside the holder!"

OK, @lou_fine, nice detective work! But I maintain that I have not seen that sort of translucency on any GA, SA or BA books that I own or have seen. Yet I have seen other examples of highly graded slabbed books that display that translucency issue. They also tend to have lower registration numbers (ie have been longer in a slab).

Edited by Albert Thurgood
made clear whose post I was responding to

3 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

"Pay no attention to that translucent cover inside the holder!"

Could what you call "translucent" just be pristine pages? That's what I always took it as. :shy:

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Could what you call "translucent" just be pristine pages? That's what I always took it as. :shy:

I always saw a translucent cover as being able to see the advertising on the inside of the front cover on the outside of the front cover. I can't see the pages. I have seen many examples of this phenomenon on both DC and Marvel book. CGC and other companies don't take it into consideration while grading, evidently. If I were a grader, I would give this a 9.8. The see through cover distracts from the overall presentation IMO.