• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2022 at 6:21 AM, nDemik said:

Quick question for all in here, how did this turn into Batman thread? 

pretty much since he's been here, virtually all of his posts have been shilling for xmen1 in high grade as a can't lose long term investment, ad nauseum. so it's just a bit of friendly ribbing. it's an honest question based on his record why his handle isn't xmen1is#1 

On 8/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, alexgross.com said:

pretty much since he's been here, virtually all of his posts have been shilling for xmen1 in high grade as a can't lose long term investment, ad nauseum. so it's just a bit of friendly ribbing. it's an honest question based on his record why his handle isn't xmen1is#1 

Thanks for the reply and 😂😂😂

On 8/7/2022 at 9:28 AM, alexgross.com said:

He obsesses about AF 15 a little bit too.

On 8/7/2022 at 4:44 PM, srezvan said:

If someone doesn't like the comments, why not just block the person and move on? This back and forth is silly at this point and had nothing to do with the thread.

Been a member since 2007, and never even considered blocking was an option .......looked into it, and figured it out. 

Done!

Thank you, I hope  this thread (and that other thread) will be  bearable now.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:34 AM, spreads said:

That's interesting, they almost look like they go through the page!

On 8/12/2022 at 4:02 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I was going to say, that is far more likely than the Angel's wing somehow showing through!  Highly skeptical of that.

You know what, might make more sense that they're actually little holes in the cover. Couldn't tell since it's encapsulated.

It is still funny how the Angel wing outline lines up so well

Edited by Hulksdaddy1

On 8/12/2022 at 4:20 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

You know what, might make more sense that they're actually little holes in the cover. Couldn't tell since it's encapsulated.

It is still funny how the Angel wing outline lines up so well

Anyone have a picture of the splash page? 

I would be curious to see if it's just coincidence and there happens to be a similar picture of the splash? Or if it's a printing defect? 

On 8/12/2022 at 10:48 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

45ad349d2b6b305ced6011d38875bf41.jpg

Looks like it's that horizontal panel border above "X-MEN" that's poking through the hole at Angel's wing.

You all have appear to have already solved the mystery, but for what it's worth;

Based on coverless copies on HA.com, it looks like it is the bottom line from the top right panel which has a light blue color above the line, and white below the line, similar to what appears to be seen in what appears to be a tiny hole in the "X" on the cover (and the staple placement roughly lines up as well).

You can see some yellow under the hole on the "E", which is consistent with the main color used in the top right panel on coverless copies.

The CGC graders notes also indicate, "...small, multiple hole center of whole book..."

Edited by Superman2006

On 6/14/2022 at 8:27 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

I don't agree there is always going to be people with money looking to diversify. Top collectibles have proven a safeguard during many bad times. Now if you have comics outside of say the to 10-15 of each the GA/SA ages that exploded in value those I would say yes sure sell them and reap the profits. And the top 3-5 of the other ages I would also hold onto the rest I would let go of.

But I have been around for 4-5 decades in the hobby and have seen the panic selling and the usual outcome long term to many times. What do I know.

Edited by NoMan

On 8/13/2022 at 2:18 AM, Superman2006 said:

You all have appear to have already solved the mystery, but for what it's worth;

Based on coverless copies on HA.com, it looks like it is the bottom line from the top right panel which has a light blue color above the line, and white below the line, similar to what appears to be seen in what appears to be a tiny hole in the "X" on the cover (and the staple placement roughly lines up as well).

You can see some yellow under the hole on the "E", which is consistent with the main color used in the top right panel on coverless copies.

The CGC graders notes also indicate, "...small, multiple hole center of whole book..."

How dumb am I? Never occurred to me to check graders notes. (shrug):makepoint:

On 8/13/2022 at 4:46 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Still hitting the sauce I see. Must be a real shame you never got copies of the major keys when you had the chance and if you did you likely held on to none of them. A real heart breaker of a story. No early retirement in your near future. If only if only.....

Alcohol is for amateurs 

On 9/3/2021 at 7:29 PM, UncleBEN said:

CVA stickers add value as proven by recent sales and recent resubmissions, but the QES program seem to be more incestual then CVA. 

Meaning I would argue that some collectors do care about nicely presenting books that also perhaps have a sticker on them.

I think I will have a couple of mine QES/CVA/WTF certified and make some real cash :P 

On 9/3/2021 at 11:02 PM, alexgross.com said:

yes metropolis' advent of QES being late to the party certainly has to play catch up to CVA, but both are equally incestuous. cva is comiclink and qes is metropolis/comicconnect. comiclink very clearly has a roll of cva stickers in the closet and busts them out at each auction. 

I would tend to agree that both are trying to achieve the same purpose on behalf of their consignors.  (thumbsu

If you compare the Qes and the CVA sticker programs though, I would prefer the QES sticker more since it at least comes up with an individual listing of why that particular book receive the QES sticker in the first place.  The CVA sticker, on the other hand, is just a sticker with the same blanket general explanation applied to all of the books that supposedly qualifies for one.  hm  (shrug)

On 9/3/2021 at 8:16 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Maybe but I bet you most could care less about it just look at the book yourself and buy the grader's notes that is more than enough.I would not pay a dollar more for a comic because of that sticker.

I would however pay a premium for a white page quality book.

The part that I find strange and a bit irrational is that usually the same people that say they wouldn't pay a dollar more for a book with one othese stickers are usually the same people who would then go out and spend multiples more for a book with a higher CGC graded label even though the book clearly does NOT appear to be as nice as one with a lower graded label.  (:  :screwy:

Especially since I know a number of collectors who have brought the books with these stickers and then simply resubmitted them back into CGC for regrading and ended up with a higher graded book at a much cheaper cost by just paying for the regrading fee.  They claim it's almost a guarantee for most books (i.e. not every single one) if they go further and CPR the book and they sometimes even come back 2 or 3 grade increments higher defect upon the defects.  Sounds as though they are using the stickers to help them identify potential CPR qualifiable books and figure the battle is more than half won if it has one of these stickers on it, if you are into playing the CPR game.  hm  (shrug)

Yep, totally don't  understand why collectors would pay mutiples more for a slightly higher graded labeled book when it doesn't appear to be as nice or in line with the CGC grade.  Especially when a dollar value is a fixed known amount, whereas as history has clearly shown us over and over agin, a grade is just a subjective (albeit a so-called expert one) when the book crosses a grader's table and might come up with a different number if on a different day.  What makes it even worse is all of the manipulation that can take place as we have seen books moved right up from a CGC 9.0 to a CGC 9.8. :Rocket:

I guess it's really a case of to each their own, and that's why I tend to go more with the overall eye appeal of a book as opposed to a sometimes very changeable CGC label.  Especially since I am more of the old school pre-CGC generation of collector who doesn't need to own the highest graded copy of a book for my own personal collection.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

It's actually been interesting to read some of these posts as it's been pretty much a full year since I was last on this thread, and the sentiment on the X-Men 1 book here sure seems to be on a roller coaster ride for much of the time.  :popcorn: